The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Two Chop Cup Routine (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Tophie
View Profile
Loyal user
259 Posts

Profile of Tophie
I am trying to develop a 2 chop cup routine and need inspiration. Does anyone know of a good source of an existing two cup routine?
Donnie Buckley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Cleveland, Ohio
1120 Posts

Profile of Donnie Buckley
Gary Ouellet's Two Goblets available from Camirand:
http://www.camirandmagic.com/mm01_4.html

Uses one chop cup, it will definitely inspire you though.
Learn the form, but seek the formless. Learn it all, then forget it all. Learn the way, then find your own way. Rings-N-Things
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2706 Posts

Profile of cupsandballsmagic
I can understand the want for perhaps a combo routine (like the GG.) Do you have a specific reason for wanting to develop this?
Mobius303
View Profile
Inner circle
Lakewood, Ohio
1299 Posts

Profile of Mobius303
Interestingly....you would run into a problem if you use a standard chop cup for your cups.
You would need to have them specially made if you want to put the balls on the saddle without suspicion if all the balls in the routine are chopped.
Tophie
View Profile
Loyal user
259 Posts

Profile of Tophie
I received two chop cups from a friend that are identical. I didn't know if there are any routines out there. I know of the Mendoza routine using on cup chopped, and there are several with two non chopped cups. Didn't know if there are two chop cup routines. I thought there might be interesting moves with both cups chopped.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
8529 Posts

Profile of funsway
The key factor is whether you can dislodge the "Keep" in the hand without an obvious shake or slap. Think of the Chop Retention as a way of temporarily "Idling" a Ball until it is needed rather than just a clever reveal. Also play with secretly retaining a Ball in the hand with nornal cup movements. Each cup has its own characteristic, though some are adjustable. Play with your Cups to determine the Retention and Release limits. You may find that the Chop Retention actually hinders some moves.

Yes, I can suggest some routine ideas, but don't know enough ...
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

ShareBooks at www.eversway.com * questions at funsway@eversway.com
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24233 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Discussions like this really need to move into the secret sessions.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
kentfgunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Merritt Island FL
1617 Posts

Profile of kentfgunn
I toyed around a lot with lots of variations along the lines Tophie is referring to.

The final product looks like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEYmGnK4K9g

Those who know me, you don't have to look. It is another source of wacky cups and ball sequences.

I'd recommend NOT using multiple iterations of that gaff. It makes things very complicated very quickly. You actually limit the sequences you can perform with every gaff you add.

Whatever you do, don't use balls of different colors. It will make things even worse.

In all seriousness, The sequences the great Mendoza came up with are seminal. If you have not walked through his routine you're wasting your time. His stuff is without a doubt the very basis of multi-cup routines. If you don't read his stuff it's like working on a diagonal palm shift and not reading Erdnase.

There are many, many other sequences with the gaffus and multiple iterations of it. I found a new path by simply playing with multiples of everything. Find a new sequence and wow us all!

KG
doug brewer
View Profile
V.I.P.
1133 Posts

Profile of doug brewer
Tophie: This is one of the best aspects about magic. You have a great concept, now hole up in a room for a week and try different moves, different combinations. Two regular balls, one chop. Two chop, 1 regular ball. All three chopped. Who knows? Try it out, workshop it. Make it your own. Then if you want, come back and teach us in a couple years. Good luck!

Doug
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Mikame created a nesting two chop cup set a few years back. you might look into what routine they came up with for the prop.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Ruben Padilla
View Profile
Loyal user
Narrative Strategist
206 Posts

Profile of Ruben Padilla
Erdnase?
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27067 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2010-08-12 10:31, Tophie wrote:
I am trying to develop a 2 chop cup routine and need inspiration. Does anyone know of a good source of an existing two cup routine?

I came very close to doing a version of the Ramsay routine with two of those nice mini chop cups that were produced back in the 1970s. I almost regret not taking that path.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Donnie Buckley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Cleveland, Ohio
1120 Posts

Profile of Donnie Buckley
Quote:
On 2010-08-15 00:32, Jonathan Townsend wrote:

I came very close to doing a version of the Ramsay routine with two of those nice mini chop cups that were produced back in the 1970s. I almost regret not taking that path.

Now that's an interesting idea!
Learn the form, but seek the formless. Learn it all, then forget it all. Learn the way, then find your own way. Rings-N-Things
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24233 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2010-08-13 11:22, Payne wrote:
Mikame created a nesting two chop cup set a few years back. you might look into what routine they came up with for the prop.

They are called "The M-Cylinders."
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Two Chop Cup Routine (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL