The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Handshake induction -- how reliable? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

HypnoDan
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of HypnoDan
I'm scheduled to do a short 15-20 minutes show (as part of a larger theater festival) on hypnotic phenomena and the show needs to be edgy. I was thinking about pulling someone down from the audience and demonstrating the handshake induction (actually a bit more like the Mayajid hypno-sculpture instant induction with the confusional elements he uses).

My question is, is an induction like this reliable enough that I have a good chance of zapping a random audience member in the performance?

I remember reading an old post of Anthony Jacquin's about going out for a weekend and just practicing on unsuspecting members of the public -- he said he got pretty good results.

Thoughts?
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Never zap a random member of the audience for an important show. Always do pretalks tests etc. If you fail you will find it more difficult to zap someone else.

No induction is reliable. In fact hypnosis in general is not 100% reliable you can only increase the odds by going through the proper process.

But of course that depends upon how much you value your shows. Personally I wouldn't do it.
Owen Mc Ginty
View Profile
Special user
not a stupid user, a special user.
533 Posts

Profile of Owen Mc Ginty
What about, instead of doing pre-talk tests, you do "pre-show work"?

i.e. instead of doing an induction for your show, you do a "re-induction"? Smile

That could look rather impressive I think.
If you never fail, you're not trying hard enough.
dmkraig
View Profile
Inner circle
1949 Posts

Profile of dmkraig
The points made here have been very good.

Spend some time working with the ENTIRE audience. Include the book/balloon test and look for people who have very good reactions to your suggestions. When you "randomly" choose someone from the audience, select someone who gave a very wide response to the tests.

Although as pointed out, there is no guarantee of success, you will certainly up your odds.
HypnoDan
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of HypnoDan
Thanks for the suggestions--time is limited but I can squeeze in light/heavy hands and then "randomly" pick someone who responds well. Many thanks!
Anthony Jacquin
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2220 Posts

Profile of Anthony Jacquin
Hi HypnoDan,

certainly I would do either one single strong binary test (like a finger or handlock) first. Then I would be entirely happy to proceed with a handshake.

Either that or pre show. If I had done that then your I would be happy to go with your plan knowing it is a reinduction. Not saying it cannot be done straight off with a brand new subject, I know it can. However I would not take such a risk in a short slot.

The only exception would be where what followed the handshake was not reliant on hypnosis i.e mentalism. In which case a handshake and strong people management skills will ensure they remain with the appropriate look.

All the best

Anthony
Anthony Jacquin

Reality is Plastic! The Art of Impromptu Hypnosis
Updated for 2016

Now on Kindle and Audible!
HypnoDan
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of HypnoDan
Thanks, Anthony -- I was hoping you'd respond.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Bare in mind 15-20 mins is not really long for a hypno show.I know some people try it but is it worth doing? Plus an induction is just an induction its only the start. Would you not be better with a pseudo/hypno/mentalism stunt? Something with a begining, middle and end instead of just a start?

Personally I think there are stronger things you could do in that time slot.
quicknotist
View Profile
Special user
888 Posts

Profile of quicknotist
I wouldn't attempt this mini-show unless you already have lots of long-form stage shows AND impromptu hypnosis under your belt. Pseudo suggestion, influence effects etc. would probably be the way to go.
In fact, turn it down and give them my number!

Seriously though, I do quite a lot of these short hypnosis demos.
First, don't overestimate your audience's experience of hypnosis shows and phenomena.
Remember, to many, hypnosis IS edgy, especially hypnosis in such a short time frame and you can emphasise that during your performance.

I once did six ten minute demos over a day for a Smirnoff Vodka brand promotion and if you're interested, I can send you (privately) an outline of exactly what I did.

When/if you do these short demos, a few general points:

1. To save time and build expectancy, get the MC to do a lot of the pre-talk for you. Between you, script an intro for your act explaining what anyone "who doesn't want to be hypnotised, has pre-existing injuries, on medication etc. etc." has to do/not do to "avoid" being hypnotised. (This could be: move to the back of the room or remain seated or simply don't take part in the "tests.")

2. SAFETY! Just because it's a quick demo, don't be economical with the usual safety aspects. E.g. If you don't have time during your set, spend some one on one time with your subjects afterwards doing a full wake-up and make it clear to everyone that's what you'll be doing.

3. Always tell the audience where they can see or book you for your full stage show.

Reg
HypnoDan
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of HypnoDan
Quote:
On 2010-08-12 14:59, quicknotist wrote:
I wouldn't attempt this mini-show unless you already have lots of long-form stage shows AND impromptu hypnosis under your belt. Pseudo suggestion, influence effects etc. would probably be the way to go.
In fact, turn it down and give them my number!

Seriously though, I do quite a lot of these short hypnosis demos.
First, don't overestimate your audience's experience of hypnosis shows and phenomena.
Remember, to many, hypnosis IS edgy, especially hypnosis in such a short time frame and you can emphasise that during your performance.

I once did six ten minute demos over a day for a Smirnoff Vodka brand promotion and if you're interested, I can send you (privately) an outline of exactly what I did.

When/if you do these short demos, a few general points:

1. To save time and build expectancy, get the MC to do a lot of the pre-talk for you. Between you, script an intro for your act explaining what anyone "who doesn't want to be hypnotised, has pre-existing injuries, on medication etc. etc." has to do/not do to "avoid" being hypnotised. (This could be: move to the back of the room or remain seated or simply don't take part in the "tests.")

2. SAFETY! Just because it's a quick demo, don't be economical with the usual safety aspects. E.g. If you don't have time during your set, spend some one on one time with your subjects afterwards doing a full wake-up and make it clear to everyone that's what you'll be doing.

3. Always tell the audience where they can see or book you for your full stage show.

Reg

Hi Reg. I would definitely be interested in your outline. Safety is always an utmost concern with me and I have done several full-length shows as well as impromptu stuff.

I appreciate the tips.
quicknotist
View Profile
Special user
888 Posts

Profile of quicknotist
Message sent.
Reg
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4179 Posts

Profile of bobser
I think it's all been said. It's one of those 'if you need to ask' thingys.
Don't ever 'have a pop' during a well paid corporate gig unless you know precisely what you're going to do if it doesn't come off. I think that's why so many good mentalists run easily with hypnosis; because they understand 'the out'.
So, either do some teters in order to tell YOU exactly where you're going and what you're going to do next... OR... have something that looks like hypnosis if hypnosis does NOT take place.
Your opening statement Dan, followed by what you thought you might just 'squeeze in' would simply terrify me, and I'm not too bad at what I do.
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
HypnoDan
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of HypnoDan
Thanks, Bobser. This is not a high-paying gig--it's a low-paying set of short performances at a very arty theater festival here. I usually do know exactly what I'm doing -- I asked the questions here because I wanted to try something new but be as prepared and well-advised as possible when I try it. and I've gotten some excellent advice here.

I plan to rehearse as well.

I also have a contingency plan in case it doesn't work out.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Handshake induction -- how reliable? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL