The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Quarter Shim Shell (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

insight
View Profile
Inner circle
3095 Posts

Profile of insight
If you have a quarter shim shell, can you use it to place another quarter inside the shell? Or does the coin have to be a nickel, dime, or penny?

Thanks,
Mike
Sammy J.
View Profile
Inner circle
Castle Rock, Colorado
1785 Posts

Profile of Sammy J.
You should be able to put another quarter in it. It should be an expanded shell.

Sammy
Sammy J. Teague
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5294 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Nope. A shim shell is non-expanded. You can place coins that are smaller than a quarter in it. For a quarter you need an expanded shell.

Jim
Sammy J.
View Profile
Inner circle
Castle Rock, Colorado
1785 Posts

Profile of Sammy J.
Thanks J-Mac. My bad. I sometimes suffer from Gaffheimer's disease.

Has anyone seen a shimmed expanded quarter shell?
I mean a commercially available one, not one from the custom gaffers.

Sammy
Sammy J. Teague
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5294 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
I haven't personally, but that doesn’t mean that there aren't any. Back when I first developed an interest in coin magic I wasn’t sure of the difference between the two when I was shopping online and saw both at a web site - not sure which shop it was way back then. Anyway I ended up ordering one of each. I think they are Sasco or a similar make - considered pretty poor quality nowadays. But I still have both and they look and work fine here! TBH I hardly ever used the shim shell as I would have to be working with dimes, nickels, or pennies and I generally don’t work with coins that small. Quarter exp shell has gotten a fair amount of use over the years and has served me well!

I wish I could find a couple more quarter gaffs, as using them with spectators' coins packs a powerful punch! No one carries half dollar or dollar coins to borrow unfortunately.

Thanks!

Jim
insight
View Profile
Inner circle
3095 Posts

Profile of insight
Thanks, useful info!

Regards,
Mike
insight
View Profile
Inner circle
3095 Posts

Profile of insight
I did an extensive google search---I don't think expanded shim shells exist for any denomination. Expanded and shim categories are mutually exclusive, at least it appears that way!

Regards,
Mike
Sammy J.
View Profile
Inner circle
Castle Rock, Colorado
1785 Posts

Profile of Sammy J.
Thanks for checking into it Mike.
I use the outer sh**l of my triple threat for a Morgan shimmed sh*ll when doing coins across.

I haven't really explored quarter magic. But agree that if you can do magic with specs quarters, it will be very powerful.

Dogone those state quarters. They sure make things more difficult, when it comes to gaffs.
Sammy J. Teague
Jake Murphree
View Profile
Regular user
Beyond the Psychomanteum
138 Posts

Profile of Jake Murphree
Hahaha - Sammy, I remember watching a Banachek DVD where he talked about the worst thing to happen to magic was the US Dept. of Treasury putting state designs on quarters.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6682 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Sammy & Murph, you are so right about the state quarters. I have a Johnson Expanded Quarter, and when I do Coins Thru The Table, I'm finding that I have to bring my own quarters, now. Most people have the darn state quarters, and I have to resort to something else, if I want to do coin magic with borrowed quarters.

Maybe I just have to bust open my wallet and just get an expanded STATE quarter, heads. Man..the nickel has changed too. Sheesh! They should leave the coins alone, darn U.S. Mint! LOL!

Doug
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Quarter Shim Shell (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL