The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » The Russian scam - can it be done with hypnosis? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

HypnoDan
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of HypnoDan
I don't want to start another debate on Derren Brown's methods but I was thinking about his Russian scam and Anthony Jacquin's "Cloaked" bit from Reality is Plastic (where he convinces a guy on the street to hand over his jacket).

Say you have someone hypnotized and you tell them that they've got your wallet and cell phone and you've got theirs. You've got a little block of wood shaped like a cell phone and painted black and a wallet made from black duct tape and newspaper.

What specific posthypnotic suggestions would you use to get them to trade their items for the worthless props after they are emerged?
Anthony Jacquin
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2220 Posts

Profile of Anthony Jacquin
Dan,

just use plain english.

When stealing the coat I said 'You will believe your coat belongs to me, I lent it to you a week ago and it is time to give it back. Nothing will bring you more joy'.

When paying with rubbish - which is as close as I have done to your idea for phone to block of wood - I said 'everything I place in your hand you will believe is money. Serviettes are five pound notes anything else is a pound coin'.

Keep it simple if doing it with direct hypnosis. Add a dollop of suggested emotion to ensure the transaction is smooth.

I go into much more detail regarding this on The Trilby Connection than I did in RIP.

Anthony
Anthony Jacquin

Reality is Plastic! The Art of Impromptu Hypnosis
Updated for 2016

Now on Kindle and Audible!
HypnoDan
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of HypnoDan
Thanks Anthony. I've been meaning to order the Trilby Connection and this is good incentive to do so.

Dan
HypnoDan
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of HypnoDan
Oh, just a note for fun on paying with rubbish. I cut a bunch of blank white pieces of paper to the size of U.S. currency and went to the sports bar and hypnotized a friend (who is an extremely good subject) to think they were $100 bills. I gave him a fistful and he was going around showing them off and stuffing them into the tip jar. It was lots of fun.
quicknotist
View Profile
Special user
888 Posts

Profile of quicknotist
Dan,
I have several "wallet steal" methods.
Here's one for free:
Put your wallet on the table and get them to do the same.
Stick their hands to the table or their lap and challenge them to retrieve their wallet.
They can't, you can. Job done!
Reg
quicknotist
View Profile
Special user
888 Posts

Profile of quicknotist
Also google quicknotist wallet steal for a nice clean one done with pre-work.
Reg
HypnoDan
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of HypnoDan
Will do, Reg and many thanks!
HypnoDan
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of HypnoDan
Hey Reg - that video was a lot of fun -- I liked the mirroring part - Derren does that at the beginning of the Russian scam video too, but I am sure you knew that! Smile

Dan
quicknotist
View Profile
Special user
888 Posts

Profile of quicknotist
Yes. I wonder if he did it for the same reasons as me: Misdirection and general bull!
There was some pre-work done here which isn't seen on the video.
Let's just say I would never really steal a wallet. All is not what it seems.
Reg

Quote:
On 2010-08-13 18:43, HypnoDan wrote:
Hey Reg - that video was a lot of fun -- I liked the mirroring part - Derren does that at the beginning of the Russian scam video too, but I am sure you knew that! Smile

Dan
HypnoDan
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of HypnoDan
Oh yeah, Reg - I am pretty certain Derren did it as misdirection, too--the NLP folks figured it was rapport-building but that's been discussed to death. You mentioned you had done some pre-work originally and it was fun thinking about what you had done ahead of time. I'm glad I watched that considering what I want to do with the wallet "trade" I am planning.

I wasn't planning to go tonight, but I got talked into going to the sports bar so I may see if I can find a willing subject for the stunt just to test it out. And, like you, I definitely will give everything back! Smile
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4172 Posts

Profile of bobser
Well first of all you can see that there is a strong comedy background element to Reg's work. I was enjoying his visuals so much that I'm a little dissapointed that that particular clip wasn't a little longer. But I guess when stealing is involved time is of the essence (more humour)
Also I do hope nobobody missed Ant's one liner when he said: "add a dollop of suggested emotion". Not to do this (especially when this is being presented to an audience)would be plain stupid... yet sooooo many do not!
For clarification: Tell them exactly how they will react on que. How excited, frightened, happy, terrified, at ease, turned on, turned off, surprised etc they will both feel AND show!
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
HypnoDan
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of HypnoDan
Thanks for the expansion on Anthony's note, Bobser!
quicknotist
View Profile
Special user
888 Posts

Profile of quicknotist
Bob,
It's nice to hear you appreciate a good bit of slapstick. You'll see the mark and the kid are loving it too.
Just for you: If you mute the video and have "Dance of the cuckoos" playing in another browser window, you'll find it syncs quite nicely.
Reg

Quote:
On 2010-08-15 06:55, bobser wrote:
Well first of all you can see that there is a strong comedy background element to Reg's work. I was enjoying his visuals so much that I'm a little dissapointed that that particular clip wasn't a little longer. But I guess when stealing is involved time is of the essence (more humour)
Also I do hope nobobody missed Ant's one liner when he said: "add a dollop of suggested emotion". Not to do this (especially when this is being presented to an audience)would be plain stupid... yet sooooo many do not!
For clarification: Tell them exactly how they will react on que. How excited, frightened, happy, terrified, at ease, turned on, turned off, surprised etc they will both feel AND show!
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4172 Posts

Profile of bobser
Quote:
On 2010-08-15 14:55, quicknotist wrote:
Bob, If you mute the video and have "Dance of the cuckoos" playing in another browser window, you'll find it syncs quite nicely.
Reg

That's actually true. Especially as you walk up behind the mark!
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
quicknotist
View Profile
Special user
888 Posts

Profile of quicknotist
Walk? That was my best sprint!

Quote:
On 2010-08-17 13:13, bobser wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-08-15 14:55, quicknotist wrote:
Bob, If you mute the video and have "Dance of the cuckoos" playing in another browser window, you'll find it syncs quite nicely.
Reg

That's actually true. Especially as you walk up behind the mark!
dmkraig
View Profile
Inner circle
1949 Posts

Profile of dmkraig
HypnoDan, I would respectfully suggest that the questions you're asking aren't the right ones. You have two questions:

1) Can the scam be done with hypnosis? and if so,
2) What specific posthypnotic suggestions would you use to get them to trade their items for the worthless props after they are emerged?

Note that Anthony says he can do this, and I have no reason to disagree with him. The real questions shouldn't be so generic. They should be:

1) Can YOU do it?
2) What do YOU need to do to be able to do it?

The answer is, I don't know. Anthony has done hypnosis for many years and, I would guess, has successfully hypnotized thousands of people. Have you? Can you talk to a person for 30 seconds or less and determine the exact moment to do an instant induction or the exact words to say? I don't know.

The implication of your second questions, what "specific posthypnotic suggestions" implies that everyone you hypnotize is the same and will respond the same way to all suggestions. It's just not true.

There's also the difference between suggestion and influence. I have had people freely give my their wallets filled with money in front of large audiences. It's a simple use of influence and it's done while the person is fully alert and not hypnotized. Can you do this?

Dan, it's not just the suggestions, it's not just the subject, it's not just the hypnotist. It's all three.
HypnoDan
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of HypnoDan
Had my final performance at the festival tonight and it went great. Thanks to everyone for their input, especially Anthony and Reg. I got a member of the audience to happily trade his wallet for a fake one made of duct tape and newspaper. The audience loved it.
Anthony Jacquin
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2220 Posts

Profile of Anthony Jacquin
Yet another news story on this topic. Check the self defense guide at the end.
http://www.tuoitrenews.vn/cmlink/tuoitre......-1.17567

Anthony
Anthony Jacquin

Reality is Plastic! The Art of Impromptu Hypnosis
Updated for 2016

Now on Kindle and Audible!
Muzz
View Profile
Regular user
166 Posts

Profile of Muzz
Thanks for sharing Anthony, interesting stuff! It really highlights yet again the media misconception of the "don't look into his eyes" idea. They really seem to focus on this detail and yet I think I'm right in saying that any point of focus for their attention will do the trick!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » The Russian scam - can it be done with hypnosis? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL