The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » "Spotted Sponges" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ropeadope
View Profile
Elite user
Mississippi
453 Posts

Profile of ropeadope
Does anyone know how to remove a spot on a sponge caused buy anothe sponge of a different color?

Am thinking about the obvious of dying the sponge.

Have fun,
John
Nothing is better than more.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24227 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Let's start with the premise that the sponge is kaput. Try washing it with some of that stuff you add to your laundry that removes dye transfer from clothing. I don't know what it's called, but if you wander around the aisles of a supermarket for a while looking lost, someone will probably help you. Be sure to wash the other sponges that are the same color as the one that has the stain on it at the same time, or it will not match.

It will probably be cheaper to replace the sponge.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
It's made by the Rit Dye people. It's usually in the laundry soap aisle.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
ropeadope
View Profile
Elite user
Mississippi
453 Posts

Profile of ropeadope
Hi Bill,

Problem is to replace the sponge I may have to buy the trick again. Should have explained it`s not a regular sponge but one of the expa....g sponges. Came with a Tenyo trick. Not sure if a Goshman sponge would work, although they are very soft, I think this Japanese sponge is softer. It also needs to be compressed to fit in a small space.

Think I` might try the Rit Dye transfer approach first, as you suggested Bill & Dave. Will be shopping for it.

Anyone else have any experience removing spots from sponges?

Thanks,
John
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24227 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Oxyclean might work.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3149 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2010-08-14 22:13, ropeadope wrote:
Hi Bill,

Problem is to replace the sponge I may have to buy the trick again. Should have explained it`s not a regular sponge but one of the expa....g sponges. Came with a Tenyo trick. Not sure if a Goshman sponge would work, although they are very soft, I think this Japanese sponge is softer. It also needs to be compressed to fit in a small space.

Think I` might try the Rit Dye transfer approach first, as you suggested Bill & Dave. Will be shopping for it.

Anyone else have any experience removing spots from sponges?

Thanks,
John

HAHAHA! Parabox!!! I love that trick and I do it all the time. Same thing happened to me. There is nothing you can do to fix the sponges, though. That stain is there for good. Ah well...
I suppose you could buy the Japanese sponges, but they're ridiculously expensive.

The Goshman sponges will work fine -they did for me. Just wash them with a little soap to soften them up a little more than they come out of the box.
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24227 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
BTW, the thing for removing the dye spot is a cloth sheet made by Shout. It may not work after the fact, though. The dye may be set.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

ropeadope
View Profile
Elite user
Mississippi
453 Posts

Profile of ropeadope
Yes, PARABOX Gaddy, cool little simple trick that flows nicely with surprises along the way. I enjoy performing it & spectators seem to like the scientific impossibility along with the other sponge balls appearances.

Will try the Goshman gro....g/expa....g ball. Still..., hate to waste the red Japanese ball without trying to do something about the spot, so will be looking into dyes and "Shout it out" sheets.

Have never seen Japanese sponges advertised, does anyone know a source?

Thanks for the suggestions guys,
John
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24227 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Japan?

Seriously, shortly after the small Gozinta Boxes came out, this effect was printed in the Linking Ring or MUM, I don't remember which. Fiedler invented the boxes. Tori Suzuki claimed the sponge bit, but he isn't the one who put it into the magazines. I think Suzuki added the growing ball, which really punched the whole thing up.

This might be a chance to do some updating on the routine. Check out Bizzaro's color-changing sponge ball. Expensive, but each one is hand made by Bizzaro, himself.

Also, check with Stephen Steele. He has a connection to Tenyo. Parabox is still available, according to Anthony Carbone's site.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

ropeadope
View Profile
Elite user
Mississippi
453 Posts

Profile of ropeadope
Thanks for the research time Bill. And the history lesson. I really enjoy the history of magic and magicians.

Have Bizzaro`s CC sponge balls including the one that changes to yellow sponge. Since 1 of the balls is yellow in Paradox that is one of the continuing routines I`m contemplating. Are you a mindreader Bill? ;>)

Will check out the Anthony Carbone site & with Stephen Steele.

Have fun,
John
pixsmith
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of pixsmith
If you are in the "in for a penny, in for a pound" mode on this sponge, there are a couple (well, five or so) things that you can try.

First, and easiest, would be to dye the entire sponge a darker color, to cover the stain. I am having trouble remember the trick, so I don't know if this is a practical solution or not though.

Second, how large is the stain, and how deep does it go? Bill's idea for a dye remover might work, but as someone who works with foam rubber all the time, there are some tricks to getting it to work well for you. I would try to mix a small, and relatively weak solution of RIT color remover and apply it directly to the sponge. wait, lather, rinse repeat, and see if it looks like you are making any progress.

You can also take Picrin (which is found at a laundry supply company) and very lightly blot, don't rub, the stain. Now, here is the "penny/pound" part of this. There is a good chance it will remove the stain. There is an excellent chance, that, if you aren't careful enough, it will dissolve part of your sponge. You want to barely touch the surface, and again, not rub, but blot.

Fourth, you may be able to remove the offending bit of color using a very fine manicure file -- I know that a lot of drug store sell the six part file -- you wnat to use steps 5 and 6 to try that. It's tedious, and you want to watch the surface, but that is another solution.

Finally, using a brand new dye grabbing cloth, and I would not use the one from Shout but there is one from CArbona (I think) sold at fabric stores like JoAnn's or Hancock Fabrics, put the ball and the dye cloth into a washer (use a small net bag used for delicates -- usually available at the dollar store) after pretreating the stain with aerosol Spray N Wash (best if you can find it), regular spray n wash, or hairspray and wun it through a cycle in the washing machine. You might want to toss in a white hand towel or two to help with the process. This works in about half the cases on the first try, so you might want to give it a whirl.

Wow, I didn't think that would be such a long post. Hope it helps!
Stucky
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Batman!
1345 Posts

Profile of Stucky
They also sell fabric spray paint that claims it won't wash out. You could try hitting the spot with the proper color and go from there. Cover that bugger up!
Official Thread Killer
ropeadope
View Profile
Elite user
Mississippi
453 Posts

Profile of ropeadope
A lot of information.Thanks everyone! Just gotta try donchaknow?

Thanks again,
John
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » "Spotted Sponges" (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL