The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Does Anyone Ever Really Use Sherwood Engraved Cups? (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Donnie Buckley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Cleveland, Ohio
1123 Posts

Profile of Donnie Buckley
I think aluminum sets have their place. They are inexpensive, light-weight and easily replaced.
I think sterling silver cups have their place as well.

It's kind of like shoes. Some shoes you wear to work in the yard, others you wear to fine dining. They both serve the same purpose, but my dress shoes cost a lot more and get worn less frequently. Still, I wouldn't buy a pair of shoes that I wouldn't wear.

Actually, cups are probably even more like cars. Some people drive inexpensive cars just to get from point A to point B. Others drive cars that are high performance, or have luxurious features that they cannot live without. Some cars are for utility purposes and others are for show purposes. But they all either are driven, were driven, or will get driven eventually.

I've used Sherwood Engraved cups many times for a routine that included tossing the cups from hand to hand and passing a cup thru the table. Never dropped one once. IMO, If the props are making you hesitant to use them because of their value, then you need to practice your routine until you are sure of yourself. A fella doesn't juggle flaming torches by accident.

I've got two sets of "used but never dropped" Sherwood Engraved cups for sale on the Café right now - although I think one set is sold already.
Jeff Haas
View Profile
Special user
931 Posts

Profile of Jeff Haas
It would be fun to get paper ice cream cups that match what Ramsay used.
dcjames
View Profile
Special user
577 Posts

Profile of dcjames
Quote:
On 2010-08-17 20:53, Jeff Haas wrote:

Bill has some of those in the museum.
“Magic is very easy to do - poorly.”

Tommy Wonder
The Books of Wonder
Volume 2
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I have the last practice set that John Ramsay used.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
For what it's worth, I was playing around with three Dixie Cups, and wadded up tissue paper balls. Man, I must need professional help! LOL!

Doug
walid ahumada
View Profile
Special user
sinaloa, mexico
892 Posts

Profile of walid ahumada
Quote:
On 2010-08-14 19:00, dhouck wrote:
I was wondering if anyone ever really uses a set of Sherwood engraved cups. They are absolutely beautiful cups, perhaps without equal. It's my understanding that Dai Vernon really used his silver engraved cups, but does anyone perform with the engraved Sherwoods? I have two sets of Sherwood cups; one copper and one silver plated and I really use them. But I have a set of RNT2 church bronze Princess 2 cups that are rare and I can't bring myself even play with them a little bit. The same with a few other rare sets I have. I'm thinking I would feel the same way if I had a set of engraved Sherwood cups.

I have never seen an engraved all Gold plated Silver Cups in action.
“Magic becomes art when it has nothing to hide.” BEN OKRI quote
Dale Houck
View Profile
Veteran user
Dakota J Magic at Saint Cloud, FL
343 Posts

Profile of Dale Houck
I have told Brett Sherwood to put me on his list for a set of solid silver engraved cups. He has enough on the list for another run if enough re-confirm. I plan to really use them and, yes Bill, love them!
Magic is where you find it.....
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2010-08-17 20:53, Jeff Haas wrote:

It would be very difficult to find a set of paper ice cream cups that actually match the cups Ramsay used. They were of a size and style that is probably not made any more. The closest thing I have found to them are the ice cream cups that they sell at the Hauptbahnhof in Munich.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
BTW, the engraved silver Sherwood cups are really good for tea or punch. Don't use the plated ones for this, though. Smile
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Jeff Haas
View Profile
Special user
931 Posts

Profile of Jeff Haas
Quote:
On 2010-08-18 22:49, Bill Palmer wrote:

It would be very difficult to find a set of paper ice cream cups that actually match the cups Ramsay used. They were of a size and style that is probably not made any more. The closest thing I have found to them are the ice cream cups that they sell at the Hauptbahnhof in Munich.

Oh, if someone was motivated enough, you could get them made. They're paper, I'm sure you could get a paper company to make them. The problem would be that you'd have to place a big enough order and you'd end up with thousands of them.
Donnie Buckley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Cleveland, Ohio
1123 Posts

Quote:
On 2010-08-19 14:52, Jeff Haas wrote:

Oh, if someone was motivated enough, you could get them made. They're paper, I'm sure you could get a paper company to make them. The problem would be that you'd have to place a big enough order and you'd end up with thousands of them.

That seems a little extreme. The charm of Ramsay's cup is that he just painted "found cups". I would guess that if you spent a half hour in the grocery store you could find some paper cups that would be comparable.
I only have the photos in the Galloway book to go on, and Bill has the actual cups in his museum, so I might be off base, but for paper cups with the properties that Ramsay required - you could improvise. Heck you could even use plastic cups today.

And I say this even though I have the tooling that Jake Z made to spin the Pete Biro Ramsay cups out of aluminum.
Donnie Buckley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Cleveland, Ohio
1123 Posts

So I just ran by my local giant supermarket and discovered that there are some very cute little single serving "ice cream cup" contains these days. I've never seen these before. Starbucks brand and others. 3.6 fl oz.
From what I saw, nothing really resembled a Ramsay cup though. Everything has a tapered wall to the saddle, nothing has a straight wall like the paper cups JR used. But I only looked thru the frozen and dairy sections.
I didn't actually go to the grocer for this reason, but I figured I might as well look while I'm there.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2010-08-19 14:52, Jeff Haas wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-08-18 22:49, Bill Palmer wrote:

And that would be missing the entire point of these cups. The whole point of the Ramsay cups is that he basically pulled them out of the dustbin. He could actually use any size cup that had a recessed bottom, such as a Dixie cup or any small ice cream cup. The cups I have that Ramsay actually practiced with are about 2 1/4" tall and about 2 1/4" in diameter at the mouth. The bottom of the cup is about 1/2" deep. The bottom of the cup is about 2" in diameter.

The whole point of these cups is that anyone from the area would have known immediately what they were. This is why IN MY OPINION the manufacture of an aluminum "Ramsay" cup is almost comical. It would be like having an aluminum Dixie cup made.

Ramsay's cups look straight walled in the photos on my web site, because they were sent to me in a box that is really too small for them in one direction. They have a slight taper.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2010-08-14 20:12, dhouck wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-08-14 19:51, Bill Palmer wrote:
Kent Gunn uses his.

You know, I think I knew that and forgot. However Bill, since you are arguably the world's leading expert on cups and balls collections and usage, for you to only think of one person who uses them, that would make me think it's highly unusual. Also, knowing that you are in the envious position of having all the varieties of the engraved cups in the Museum collection, have you ever used any of them? Even once, perhaps at a dinner party?

I didn't answer this one. I seldom use my engraved cups. I really don't do a three cup routine. I'm working on one, but it's still about six months from being ready to work with. When it's done, though, I'll use whatever set of cups is handy.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
I've grown old after diggin' holes for
2827 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
I have a set of copper engraved Sherwoods and I do use them...but as of lately I find myself attracted to my Mini PF copper cups w/ Dirty Blondes and I love to use them more and more... Smile

Cupsamagically,
Dom Smile Smile
We don't stop playing when we grow old...we grow old when we stop playing.

God is enough, let go, let God. Gal 2:20

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile
Dale Houck
View Profile
Veteran user
343 Posts

Profile of Dale Houck
I hear you! I love the PF minis of all compositions. I think it's interesting that I used to use the full size Monti cups and ended up deciding they were too small. Now I think the even smaller PF minis are perfect.
bdekolta
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1636 Posts

Profile of bdekolta
I performed for decades with my Ross Bertram cups. Only gave them up in the last five years or so. I got hold of a set of Gary Animal cups and find it hard to go back to the lighter Bertram cup. I picked up a set of Mendoza non-combo cups. I really like how they look but they are just a tad top heavy for my taste.

Back to Bertram I still use a cup from that set when doing a one cup routine. When you look at the set it is quite obvious which of the cups I've used for the one cup routine from the patina.

For the moment I alternate between the Animal Love cups and the non-combo Mendoza cups.

Haven't had a chance to really work with Sherwood cups. Depending on the venue I would use them. The Bertram cups were fetching pretty high prices at one point and were still in my active prop set.

~ Dan
conjurormatt
View Profile
Regular user
Ft. Worth, TX
181 Posts

Profile of conjurormatt
Sadly, the Sherwood's are way out of my budget. I am quite happy, however, with a set of RNT II Monti cups that I got on e-bay for only $99. They are a vast improvement over my aluminum cups from India (I actually don't know the brand, I just know that they come in a red wool bag with two green stripes towards the top, and the instructions have a fairly distinctive green cover). Having said that, I know that my aluminum cups will always have a place in my heart as the first "professional" looking cups I owned. Before that, it was the plastic cups and pom poms from the Marshal Brodien kits.
Matthew Martin
"Merely to be acquainted with the basic secret of a card trick, in no way qualifies you to perform it. Few people realize that even a simple trick in the hands of a capable performer can become a minor miracle."
~Dai Vernon
Dale Houck
View Profile
Veteran user
343 Posts

Profile of Dale Houck
Hmmm. Ironically, I just sold a Monti set on ebay for $99 to save up for a set of engraved Sherwood cups. Funny how things like this work out sometimes!

Dale
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
I just gotta remember to check ebay every day...
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Does Anyone Ever Really Use Sherwood Engraved Cups? (4 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL