The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » DEL RAY'S BAFFLING DICE (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
magicnewswire
View Profile
Inner circle
1946 Posts

Profile of magicnewswire
As I mentioned previously, several fans of the Magic Newswire podcast have been kind enough to send me some fantastic video following the interview that I did with Dick Cavett. Here's a gem featuring the amazing Del Ray! Enjoy!

http://bit.ly/DelRayDice
Dodd Vickers

Host/Producer/Editor

The Magic Newswire

Twitter

iTunes Link
magicnewswire
View Profile
Inner circle
1946 Posts

Profile of magicnewswire
Just a quick not to thank Michael Grandinetti and Joe Hanosek for helping me collect this material!
Dodd Vickers

Host/Producer/Editor

The Magic Newswire

Twitter

iTunes Link
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5378 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
What a treat! Thanks, Dodd!!
MagicMan1957
View Profile
Inner circle
1444 Posts

Profile of MagicMan1957
WOW,,,Where can I get one of those Dice Contraptions?...Smile
charliemartin
View Profile
Special user
Rapid City, SD
721 Posts

Profile of charliemartin
He is missed. What an incredible magician he was.
aqmagish20
View Profile
Regular user
145 Posts

Profile of aqmagish20
Awesome
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3728 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
Got to see him perform ONCE at a small magic convention, he wasn't even on the bill, but it was one of the best performances I've ever seen.

Steve
eatonmagic
View Profile
Special user
Orlando, FL
726 Posts

Profile of eatonmagic
I got to see Del here in Orlando at my very first magic convention and TO THIS DAY that was REAL magic!!! I was flabbergasted how this old man could fool the hell outta me so bad!

A funny story: After Del's close-up show I was in such a hurry to ask someone to take a picture of me and him and I didn't have a camera. I asked one guy who I just met to take a picture of me with Del and he didn't pull out his camera fast enough for me LOL. SO this other guy took a picture just as the first guy I asked did as well. The first guy walked off. The second guy asked me my address which I gave to him.

I got my picture in the mail and framed it. I loved it and showed it to my family who of course just shrugged and didn't understand wgo this man was. A couple years later while moving I lost that picture. I was so upset. That was 1995.

Fast forward to 5 years ago (2005) and I was attending the Unconventional Convention in Cumberland Falls, KY. I was hanging out late in the night with about 5-6 guys and my friend Scott waits until the perfect time to say to me, "Ya know MIke, I was going through some old stuff in my attic and came across this picture". I was like, "Uh oh...what kinda gag is he gonna pull on me now?" Right before he hands me the picture he asks me if I remember anything about seeing Del Ray in Orlando 10 years earlier. I was like, "Yeah...why?" He said, "I was there as well. You didn't know me then but I thought you might like to have this" and he hands me the OTHER PHOTOGRAPH of me and Del Ray!!!!! My mouth hit the floor and I almost started crying. HE was the first guy I asked to take that picture of me. Without even knowing it I would meet Scott a few years later and become friends with him.

It's funny how sometimes we cross paths with people and what happens down the road. THAT night was another "Magic Moment" in my life! Thanks Scott : )

-Eaton
Markymark
View Profile
Inner circle
1536 Posts

Profile of Markymark
Great story.I wish I could have got to see him.I do have the cover picture from
'Magic' of Del Ray framed though.I'm really looking forward to the book on his life.
''In memory of a once fluid man,crammed and distorted by the classical mess'' -Bruce Lee
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22245 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I drove all the way from Fort Wayne, Indiana to Toledo, Ohio just to see Del Ray. I was surprised at how old he was as compared to the picture they always publish of him.

He did his stage act, and it was fantastic. How percision it was with the electronics way ahead of his time. A dove production from a surprising flash shooting out, wonderful. His card rise on a very tall houlette was very good as well. Everyone always talks about his mechanical drinking bear, but the highlight for me was the rest of his act.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7353 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I was fortunate to have seen Del worked several times.

One of the neatest performances was right here in my home town. It was a phone show date at Cuyahoga Falls High School. He was the warm up act for Bob Crosby's Big Band show. It was a perfect warm up act for Crosby. He called Marie Marshall and invited us to go see him work.

As it was a show for real people, Del was at his absolute best. You could see how this act had worked for so many years. People loved Del and the magic was secondary to his personality.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Magicman1957... You could easily make the plastic dice drop. I have an antique wooden one I'd sell...

BUT NO WAY COULD THE GAFF BE DETECTED OR DUPLICATED.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
KirkG
View Profile
Inner circle
1391 Posts

Profile of KirkG
That dice routine was killer! I have almost no idea.
leondo
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas
758 Posts

Profile of leondo
Bob Kohler has some AMAZING work on Del Ray's dice. I have NO (that means (ZERO!) vested interest in this, but drop him a note. I don't even know if he will talk about it.
Ted L
magicnewswire
View Profile
Inner circle
1946 Posts

Profile of magicnewswire
There is a book & a DVD in the works on Del Ray as well. I am thrilled that me posting this lil video as stimulated some renewed interest in a performer that I thoroughly enjoy!
Dodd Vickers

Host/Producer/Editor

The Magic Newswire

Twitter

iTunes Link
Bob Kohler
View Profile
Special user
703 Posts

Profile of Bob Kohler
Del Ray was certainly one of the very best magicians I've ever seen and known. I was very fortunate to have known Del and be his friend.

I was blessed to work with Del at a bunch of hospitality suites for corporate clients in the 1990's.

I've seen both the book and parts of the DVD that are coming out. I can tell you it's the "must have" book of the decade. John Moehring has done a fantastic job has he has done with everything he's ever touched. His years at Magic Magazine and MUM produced some of the best writing and he certainly continues with this book.

Leondo mentioned that I have work on Del's Dice Act. What he's referring to is actually a hybrid that I developed with Del's blessing. My routine is nothing like Del's. It was originally developed for use in my gambling trade show act. Del gave me permission to use some of his lines. My take is extremely practical but doesn't use a dice ladder or singing bird like Del's masterpiece.

If your love magic do yourself a huge favor and get this book/DVD set. A lot of Del's friends have really done a fantastic job of getting all of the best footage of each of Del's routines and the book has information that reveals some of the most closely guarded secrets of one of the most remarkable men I've ever met.
www.bobkohlermagic.com

Home of the BK Pro Line
cairo
View Profile
Veteran user
398 Posts

Profile of cairo
Any word when the book will hit the street?
magicnewswire
View Profile
Inner circle
1946 Posts

Profile of magicnewswire
Gary Plants reported last week that the book is almost complete and could be on the market before the end of the year.
Dodd Vickers

Host/Producer/Editor

The Magic Newswire

Twitter

iTunes Link
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
562 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
That was incrdible.
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2210 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Wow.

I can imagine some mechanisms... but they would require pretty modern electronics so Im probably TOTALLY wrong!
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » DEL RAY'S BAFFLING DICE (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL