The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » DEL RAY'S BAFFLING DICE (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
MagicMan1957
View Profile
Inner circle
1444 Posts

Profile of MagicMan1957
Will this book include methodology of Del Ray's magic or just description of his creations?
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7353 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I have seen some the mechanisms Del used. They are pretty remarkable. figure it was stuff that you could get anywhere to use to fix it. That is if you knew how to use it....and Del certainly did.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
lisheng
View Profile
New user
nowhere
61 Posts

Profile of lisheng
Fantastic!
Michael J. Douglas
View Profile
Inner circle
WV, USA
1649 Posts

Profile of Michael J. Douglas
I've heard how great Del Ray was for many years, but info has been sparse. I'll be waiting with great anticipation for more on the book/DVD!

I'd also love to hear more about your routine, Bob. The word "practical" jumps off the screen at me! Maybe an upcoming BK Pro Line product? (not so subtle hint) Smile
Michael J.
�Believe then, if you please, that I can do strange things.� --from Shakespeare�s �As You Like It�
e-man
View Profile
Special user
HILTON HEAD,SC
808 Posts

Profile of e-man
I SAW DEL RAY IN D.C. MANY MANY YEARS AGO...I WILL NEVER FORGET!
我被烹调
ERIC HELVENSTON
Anverdi-museum
View Profile
Inner circle
1012 Posts

Profile of Anverdi-museum
Del was brilliant, both his skills and personality. I had the pleasure of working with him on the same bill ( performing magic ) at the now defunct 'Bloomfield Moose' here in Pittsburgh, Pa. I was blown away to say the least, Del was kind enough to perform many of his close up miracles backstage for my father and I. Many Magicians do not believe that Del did this as years later I found out how secretive Del was but I can assure this really happened.

Anyway, Del and I kept in touch via the phone for many years afterwards. He is really the reason I ever got into electronics. Remember though that Del was equally as devastating with his sleight of hand, he stressed that you must be in our field which I would like to believe I have followed his suggestion.

When you got Del on the phone he really opened up, literally talking sometimes 4 - 5 hours! That was o.k. with me as I considered him a legend. Later on I started getting into Anverdi magic which in its own right is quite amazing, his liquid effects are very deceptive.

You can view me on Tony Hassini's Platinum dvd collection series performing a form of the dice ladder effect, complete with plexiglass ladder along with a lot of other electronic magic, mostly Anverdi.

Chuck Caputo
wulfiesmith
View Profile
Inner circle
Beverley, UK
1044 Posts

Profile of wulfiesmith
The Magic Newswire ...
let me revive an old thread ... and in doing so ... perhaps let other colleagues see what they are missing!

What a classic piece of magic.
Thank you for sharing.
I have just stumbled across this.

Very entertaining.
This is magic in its purist form.

Wonderful stuff!

WulfieSmith
wulfiesmith
View Profile
Inner circle
Beverley, UK
1044 Posts

Profile of wulfiesmith
Is the Del Ray Dice product or plans available for purchase anywhere?

WulfieSmith
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7353 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
No. Or I should say not that Del made. No plans were made or sold. He made a few rising cards and such for friends over the years but basically he only made it for his act.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
TStone
View Profile
V.I.P.
Stockholm, Sweden
753 Posts

Profile of TStone
Quote:
On 2012-01-10 13:07, wulfiesmith wrote:
Is the Del Ray Dice product or plans available for purchase anywhere?

WulfieSmith

As far as I can tell from the book, no one have been given permission to make, manufacture or distribute Del Ray's work. A very limited number of friends has been given permission to use specific items for their own use, but that's it.
Paul Gertner
View Profile
V.I.P.
147 Posts

Profile of Paul Gertner
Regarding Del Ray's dice work. Check out the Del Ray videos where he does the Dice Stacking and at the end the dice all vanish as he tells the spectator to lift up the cup..."Lift it straight up, don't knock them over...it took me a lot of work!" The spectator carefully lifts the cup straight up and the dice are GONE! Fooled me so bad. If you watch the routine closely you will notice this small but important point. When he is not going to do the move and he is actually scooping the dice into the cup for normal dice stacking his right index finger is on the "top" of the cup. However when he is going to do the steal of the die as he scoops it into the cup his right index finger is on the "side" of the cup. Never did learn from him the exact move he was doing to steal the die, but obviously he needed his right hand to be a little lower on the cup to accomplish the steal, (I suspect the right little finger was involved in a major way) but the shift of the position of the index finger is the tip off it's going to happen.
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2653 Posts

Profile of Tom G
I've seen someone else steal dice during a stacking routine. Mike Rogers, maybe? It is a great
moment.
Anverdi-museum
View Profile
Inner circle
1012 Posts

Profile of Anverdi-museum
Del was one of the greats. I posted elsewhere that I had the great fortune of working with him in the mid 80's on the same bill in Pittsburgh, he is the reason I got into electronic magic. Del was very gracious after his performance and showed my dad and I a lot of his close up act backstage, years later did I realize how rare that was because he was a private person. We kept in touch throughout the years via phone, I was fortunate to have known him. Recently I wrote a book titled "Pittsburgh Magic: A Magicians story" and of course Del is listed as one of my greatest influences and the above story is told in more detail. Another Pittsburgh great was Harry Albacker, a true genius with the kiddies and publicity, he of course was also a major influence on my early years. I am posting the link for the book below, please forgive me if this is not appropriate.

http://www.freewebs.com/caputobooks/order.html

Chuck Caputo
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » DEL RAY'S BAFFLING DICE (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL