The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Manipulation for a (late) beginner (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Irishtiger388
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of Irishtiger388
Hey everyone,

I wanted to first off introduce myself. I've been watching America's Got Talent and I saw Michael Grasso perform his Manipulation/Sleight of Hand routine and then saw Dan Sperry's Lifesaver routine and those basically rekindled my childhood passion for magic. I've been looking up different magicians and their tricks and the most intriguing one that I'm most interested in is the Manipulation routines and the awesome Sleight of Hand. The only problem is, personally, that I am 22 and I feel slightly humiliated to be restarting magic at such a late age in my life haha...

But enough of the monologue, I'm basically looking for advice from some seasoned magicians on how to begin, what books to read, or what techniques I should first refine before attempting manipulation techniques. I've already ordered Bobo's Coin Magic and am strongly considering Card College. I'm also watching Dan Sperry's Card Manipulation DVD (yeah I'm a loser, but he's so good! haha)

Thanks in advance for any and all advice.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
My friend, it's never too late. I rekindled at age 62 and already have a few performances behind me, albeit free, to hone my skills, but still working at it. Yikes, I wish I had as much time in front of me as you do! You came to the right place. This is the best magic forum in the world with lots of friendly folks to help a serious seeker of the art. Check out each and every forum; there's enough here for everyting or anything you wish to pursue. Welcome aboard. Best, Bob
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2675 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
22? Nothin' to it bro. I started that attempt to learn to play the guitar at 55. I have taught thousands of folks to do sleight-of-hand with everything from cards and coins to Billiard Balls and Thimbles and I can tell you that 22 is NOT on the old side to start learning a manipulative skill set!!!

Go for it. Best,
Brad Burt
Johnny Butterfield
View Profile
Veteran user
378 Posts

Profile of Johnny Butterfield
I started in my mid thirties, doing coin magic.

You're still a kid!
The current economic crisis is due to all the coins I've vanished.
The poster formerly known as Fman111.
rklew64
View Profile
Inner circle
1265 Posts

Profile of rklew64
I came to the realization that learning anything magic related is like playing candyland the board game. In essence, 3 steps forward, 1 step back, 2 steps back, 5 steps forward.
Try to attend lectures if at all possible or better yet a magic shop and get to a point they know you by name when you step in otherwise going solo will just take that much longer. Have fun but please try not to burn out in thinking you need to "catch up" for any reason.
Jboeskin
View Profile
New user
Yuma, AZ
81 Posts

Profile of Jboeskin
Hey that's great! 22 is not too old at all so no worries. Actually I know of one member who started at around 65 and is really into it! The Café is one of the best things you can do to get a boost, there is sooooo much informations and soooo many people kinda and willing to help. Go through the different sections of the Café. Look into what magic you would like to learn and I'll bet there is more than enough information and tips on the Café
Jboeskin
View Profile
New user
Yuma, AZ
81 Posts

Profile of Jboeskin
Oh I almost forgot to welcome you to the Café so... Welcome Smile see you around, Irishtiger
Andrew Eng
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of Andrew Eng
Yeah it is never too late to start magic! Welcome to the Café!!
Thus the whole moon shines in every lake,
For it stands high enough.
Olympic Adam
View Profile
Inner circle
1259 Posts

Profile of Olympic Adam
Irish tiger, where are you based?
Protection for mind readers and mentalists: http://tricksofthemind.com
Irishtiger388
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of Irishtiger388
Well, my hometown is in the greater Cincinnati area, however when I'm in school, I'm closer to Indianapolis in Ball State University. I'm not actually IN Ireland I'm just Irish haha
Bryan Smith
View Profile
New user
Korea
99 Posts

Profile of Bryan Smith
You're 22 and you think that's a late age?? Wow... While it's true that you hear stories about people doing magic for as long as they remember, just as many start later. I am 32 and only started taking a real interest in magic about 3 years ago. I had a strong interest in magic as a young child, but between then and 3 years ago, the most I would ever do is a few card tricks for my friends at at the bar. You literally have almost your entire adult life ahead of you, so don't think for a second that you are starting late.
"I'm half drunk most the time
and I'm all drunk the rest"
--Tom Waits
jeffdell
View Profile
New user
Nashua, NH
66 Posts

Profile of jeffdell
22 is a great age to start learning magic! You have plenty of time to learn and practice and improve at the art of manipulation. With so many different types of manipulation the real question is where do you want to start Smile and what are your interests. The Magic Café is a great place to learn from the experience of others! If you remember to practice regularly over time your skills will improve!

Welcome and Good luck!

Jeff
Irishtiger388
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of Irishtiger388
Well I really am interested in the Card manipulation and production of cards. I also enjoy coin tricks and the like. Currently I'm practicing backpalming with one card (I started yesterday) and Fanning. Though I'm using store bought Bicycle cards and I can't seem to fan smoothly. Any advice on that?
jeffdell
View Profile
New user
Nashua, NH
66 Posts

Profile of jeffdell
The best advice I can give you is to practice practice practice! A store bought deck of bicycle cards is as good a place as any to start learning cared magic! The only other advice I would give is to pick up a good beginner book and start working through it. On the topic of books there is a great deal of advise in the forums and there are some outstanding magic books out there that cover all aspects of magic including card manipulation.

Good luck!

Jeff
Yekrats
View Profile
Loyal user
Dayton, Indiana
209 Posts

Profile of Yekrats
Well, Irishtiger, if you can make it up to the Lafayette, IN area, our IBM meet-ups are the first Thursday of every month at the Faith Baptist *Community Center* (just east of I65). We attract a few pros from the Indy area (not me), and all ages and skill levels are welcome.
--
Corporate or event magic & mentalism: http://WizardoftheWabash.com
The Old Man
View Profile
Regular user
137 Posts

Profile of The Old Man
Quote:
On 2010-08-16 19:47, Irishtiger388 wrote:
The only problem is, personally, that I am 22 and I feel slightly humiliated to be restarting magic at such a late age in my life haha...

I know a lot of people are responding this way, but I'm going to too. Last year I did my first magic show since 1967 when I was 14. I did another one last month. You do the math on how old I am.
JasonbytheOcean
View Profile
Regular user
Washington, D.C.
102 Posts

Profile of JasonbytheOcean
It's my understanding that Eugene Burger didn't seriously get into magic until he was 40 or so. I figure that means I still have a few years to find my stride.
;-)

Welcome to the community!
MrHoudini666
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of MrHoudini666
I am in my early 20s and in the same boat as you!

Sometimes I hear of magicians that got interested in their early teens, or even as children, and I am jealous of how much I could have accomplished by now if I had started back then...

On the one hand, early 20s is not "old" by any standards, and since there is plenty of magic that does not involve difficult physical feats, there is no limit to how old a magician can be!
Howard Hamburg
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of Howard Hamburg
A big part is the selection of material.working on something,it don't fit,you drop it and start anew.bummerdrag.pick carefully so that no time is wasted in starting over.now you're behind,plus you're discouraged.lepaul worked on new material for a year b4 adding it to his act.goshman,the best ever,built on his act up until the end,he didn't ruin it by tinkering like so many others.as you age,like an athlete,your skill will fade.everybody's seen the great past his time.slydini shocked me in miami in the early 70's.he was gone,his fastball had left him.try to balance your material w/skill and also CLEVER trix that you can sleepwalk thru w/no dexterity.rely on showmanship to put it over.get rid of as many moves as possible.the chinese work surrounded,there are so many in the audience.most of the classics can be done when you're older.mike rogers did the best dancing cane I ever saw.he sed he had to quit at a certain age,he couldn't be capering about the stage any longer.take heed.you want to age gracefully in the art form w/dignity,not have youngsters wrinkle their noses at you as you fumble around.know when to quit hammering them.if they like you they will put up w/a lot but not shabbiness in execution.be clever,it don't cost nothin...
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Irishtiger, first, WELCOME to the Café!

I'm 54, and STILL a beginner. At some things anyway. I have always like coin magic, but am starting a real interest in cards. I've always liked Cups & Balls, and started learning the Hindu (Indian) Cups 7 years ago. I haven't done either for a number of years, and it's like starting over.

Bobo's Coin Modern Magic is all you need to begin Coin Magic. If you want to go further, may I suggest Michael Rubinstein's Encyclopedia of Coin Sleights? Just pick up volume 1 for now. Later if you still want more, there are 2 & 3. If you go here, they're $30 each, and you can see the contents of each (A third the way down):

http://www.newyorkcoinmagic.net/Rubinstein.htm

If you want to do cards, Harry Lorayne has the 4 DVD set I need to buy, see here:

http://www.harryloraynemagic.com/newmagicdvds.html

His "Best Ever..." set. He's a heck of a great guy, and he answers questions right here in the Café!

I hope that's not too much information! LOL! Good luck! Glad you joined us!

Doug
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Manipulation for a (late) beginner (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL