The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Any Magician perform Knife Manipulation? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Appear, Vanish etc like with Fans, Parasols but with knives instead?

Can't find any so far...

Why? Just curious...

Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I suppose because a knife cannot be seen and is not that impressive from stage. They don't do anything. A fan opens, a parasol open, but a knife is just a knife and do to the size it is not impressive as it can be consealed easily. There is no pop action as with the other items.

They do make an appearing sword currently on the market. Jay Scott Berry made custom made appearing knivers and swords years ago.

Knives and swords are used for placing in a box for a penetration effect.

Then there is the old color changing knivers, one manufacturer even make a very long model.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
None at all then?
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Well I have not seen all the FISM act in the world, but if you are thinking this may be something original, you will have to do some heavy research.

As I thought I come up with something original, just to find out it had been done years ago at a FISM convention and did not get recognized. Buy that I mean they filmed it but it did not get any awards.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Thanks for the advice... Smile
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
I have used a knife instead of scissors for C&R rope with good response. You keep it in your hand and the misdirection value is tremendous -- perhaps people keep expecting you to stab yourself. I have also used a small daggar as a wand, and replacing it in a sheath on your belt allows for all sorts of steals and ditches. I also do a Ring on Wand effect using a solid sword with a 14" blade -- and I produce the sword from a silk "favor" and allow the spectator to hold it while his damsel attemts to toss a ring onto the blade. Lots of fun!
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Great ideas there funsway...

I was thinking more along the lines of Candle or Fan Manipulations though...

Smile
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
Wmhegbli is correct in it being difficult to bring "life" to a knife production.

However, if you got one of those "self-working" knife throwing boards and a sexy assitant strapped thereon -- you could produce knives or change silks or feather into knives and throw them at the board. The right lighting would glisten on the blade. The advantage would be that you produce and vanish the same knife over and over again. The theme might be how love's fond memories turn into bitter regrets with the girl only a figure of his imagination who vanishes at the end.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Michel Fouche
View Profile
New user
Dumb as
70 Posts

Profile of Michel Fouche
What about switchblades?
Jacques
View Profile
Loyal user
North
206 Posts

Profile of Jacques
I don't know of any multiplying knife routine either, and I'm not sure it would look as nice as candles, fans, balls, etc.
However, I can imagine a routine that could look quite spectacular using and manipulating balisong knives. There's many sleights and flourtishes that you can do with these knives. Ekaterina does a some nice manip with it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2gZ9gAs7Z4
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2010-08-17 21:59, Michel Fouche wrote:
What about switchblades?

They are illegal!
Michel Fouche
View Profile
New user
Dumb as
70 Posts

Profile of Michel Fouche
Quote:
On 2010-08-17 23:36, wmhegbli wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-08-17 21:59, Michel Fouche wrote:
What about switchblades?

They are illegal!

I thought that was only in Australia. Well you learn something new everyday.
John T. Sheets
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, USA
1105 Posts

Profile of John T. Sheets
Kevin James does a knife to streamers. I perform a knife to streamers to dove (different method than Kevins) in my dove act. Years ago I used to produce one knife, then a second. Then holding them both in one hand by the points in a "V", I would then produce a 3rd, then a forth, then finally a fifth ending in a "fan of five" in one hand, then suddenly producing a second "fan of five" in the other hand. I also used to do a floating Dagger. Then change it's color, then change it into a rose. I had the knives custom made for me.
www.johnTsheets.com

See the "Quantum Bender 3.0" trailer here... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkTVw9FjonE

See my Dove Act here... https://youtu.be/Ms7_u46Qpp0

See the "Energy Bender" trailer here... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpJOfL0k8xA

See the "Table of Death" in Las Vegas trailer here... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YivizLAKD7I
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Boy John, would love to see that routine, sounds interesting.

As I said previously, most common ideas have been done already, just not seen by everyone or notiable to the entire magic society.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2010-08-18 02:47, John T. Sheets wrote:
Kevin James does a knife to streamers. I perform a knife to streamers to dove (different method than Kevins) in my dove act. Years ago I used to produce one knife, then a second. Then holding them both in one hand by the points in a "V", I would then produce a 3rd, then a forth, then finally a fifth ending in a "fan of five" in one hand, then suddenly producing a second "fan of five" in the other hand. I also used to do a floating Dagger. Then change it's color, then change it into a rose. I had the knives custom made for me.

Yep, I would love to see that Knife Routine of yours...

Smile
dahih beik
View Profile
Special user
palestine
817 Posts

Profile of dahih beik
Tony clark does some knife manipulation in his bird act .
Stucky
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Batman!
1355 Posts

Profile of Stucky
I used to use a knife in my razor blade act. Would catch it on the back of my hand and spin the tip on my palm. There are a lot of knife flourishes out there and if used right, could add some flavor to a magic routine.

People are also impressed with anything dangerous looking.. no matter how "safe" it is.
Official Thread Killer
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2010-08-18 09:54, Stucky wrote:
I used to use a knife in my razor blade act. Would catch it on the back of my hand and spin the tip on my palm. There are a lot of knife flourishes out there and if used right, could add some flavor to a magic routine.

People are also impressed with anything dangerous looking.. no matter how "safe" it is.

Any instructions out there? DVDs, books etc?
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
If I were to make appear long knives that are about a foot long each, what would be the closes in manipulation technique and style for me to study for that?

Oriental fans or parasols or something else?

Thanks in advance, great info btw... Smile

Smile
Oliver Ross
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1724 Posts

Profile of Oliver Ross
The german magician duo "Junge Junge" present actually a knife sequence in their "An Englishman in new York" Act.

They combine, large knife productions and color changing knifes for the dagger head chest illusion.

There must be a video out there.

Oliver.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Any Magician perform Knife Manipulation? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL