The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Need review: "Icebreakers" video by Ammar (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ty Argo
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
525 Posts

Profile of Ty Argo
Can anyone who has this please give a review. Obviously, Michael knows what he's talking about, but is this performable material or just stuff to sit and think, wow, neat effect? Thanks.
Dyslexics UNTIE!!
WanderingMagician
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of WanderingMagician
To be honest I was a little disappointed by this tape. Don't get me wrong there are some nice practical ideas here, its just that I found the level pretty basic. many of the effects are old off the cuff classics. If you are new to magic then this one may be for you but I found that I already knew a lot of the material explained. It is almost as if the tape sets out to teach magic to non magicians.

That said, the tape does come with the Skinner 3 card monte effect (and the necessary cards) which for me bumped up the quality and value of the tape.

In short, it's not the best tape I've ever bought. If I'd have bought it 10 years ago when I was just starting out in magic I may have had a different opinion.
oagwood
View Profile
Veteran user
Pleasant Hill, CA
392 Posts

Profile of oagwood
I did not care much for this video.

I think it would be perfect if you have never had an interest in magic and just wanted to learn a few tricks that you could show off at the next cocktail party.

Most of the material is very basic and can be found at your local library.

To be fair though, he does do a nice job of explaining the tricks, and I still do the printing of the business card.

I suggest saving your money.

oliver
Ty Argo
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
525 Posts

Profile of Ty Argo
Thanks for the input guys! Much appreciated.
Dyslexics UNTIE!!
calexa
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1635 Posts

Profile of calexa
As far as I understand the ads this video is not aimed at magicians, but at laypeople who want to perform some magic effects in casual situations.

Magixx
Optimists have more fun.....
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2005-10-14 08:50, calexa wrote:
As far as I understand the ads this video is not aimed at magicians, but at laypeople who want to perform some magic effects in casual situations.

Magixx

That is true, which is why I freaked out that he included Ultiamte 3 card Monte.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
It's been converted to DVD:

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S6075

Here's Mike performing it over a decade ago on the Travel Channel, using Holye backs. They now come in Bicycle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwhxHEgbVx8

He later added Trevor Lewis's "Monte Plus" move with Dr. Ken Krenzel's Bent Corner ruse after switching out the cards for 3 non-gaff cards. When he released the Ice Breakers VHS, it didn't have the Lewis/Krenzel work. When it was re-released on DVD, he added that.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Need review: "Icebreakers" video by Ammar (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL