We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Best-sellers books (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

popcalinda
View Profile
Veteran user
342 Posts

Profile of popcalinda
There are a lot of books on magic published in last 50-80 years, but I am courious to know answer to one question:

What are the best-sellers books in magic world?
Is it possible to get list of about Top 100 or 200 bestsellers?
Is there any statistic evidency about it?
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4397 Posts

Profile of Paul
I don't know where you would find a large, accurate list of best selling magic books. Avoiding the release hype of many magic books, one clue is to look for magic books that are a)out of print after a large print run or b) went into multiple printings.

Even that may not give a true picture as print runs are now usually far smaller than decades ago. Some magic publishers may be shy about the size of their print runs.

On the whole, the 'best selling' magic books (e.g. books that sold most copies) are likely to be the books that were aimed at mainstream book stores or ended up there as out of copyright reprints by Dover. I would think several titles by Karl Fulves or Bill Severn outsold books by Marlo or Vernon etc.

However, the Vernon books by Ganson went through various printings, a lot of the Harry Stanley (Unique Magic) books were later reprinted by The Supreme Magic Co, then some were again printed by others. 13 Steps to Mentalism is another that falls into this category, first printed by Unique, then Supreme Magic Co and in the USA by Robbins.

Some of the classic books like the Tarbell Course are still in print and have been reprinted many times. Recent titles aimed strictly at magicians would hardly match the selling figures of these.

In recent times I would think John Bannon's "Dear Mr.Fantasy", Phil Goldstein's "Focus" and Darwin Ortiz's "Strong Magic" would be classed as best sellers, each having been reprinted.

A list of 100 'best books' may not even match a list of '100 best sellers'. But in any case, I think I'd take any such list with a pinch of salt.

A more important list might be a list of books that influenced the top magical thinkers and performers.

Paul.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6022 Posts

Profile of motown
Stars of Magic might be one.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4397 Posts

Profile of Paul
Quote:
On 2010-08-18 11:13, motown wrote:
Stars of Magic might be one.

It's possible. It did get a reprint the other year but only after several decades. And it is a good book.

Looking into books considered classics would help anyone compiling a list of books that were possibly best sellers.
noble1
View Profile
Special user
651 Posts

Profile of noble1
Expert at the Card Table, Royal Road to Card Magic, Bobo's Modern Coin Magic, Mark Wilson Complete Course in Magic
roberto37
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of roberto37
One of the best seller books was Steel and Silver from Paul Gertner, around 3.800 in one year.
I purchase one then I was part of this statistic
dsalley13
View Profile
Elite user
465 Posts

Profile of dsalley13
I believe that Michael Ammar's "The Magic of Michael Ammar" was in it's 12th or 13th printing before it went OP. That's a lot of printings and should get it into the category of Best Sellers.

The Tarbell books should be on that list too. I'm not sure of the total number of printings for each volume, but there sure were a lot of them.

dsalley13
walid ahumada
View Profile
Special user
sinaloa, mexico
892 Posts

Profile of walid ahumada
I would add to the list "Expert Card Technique" and "Encyclopedia of Card Tricks" why? because besides they are good books, they are available and affordable.
“Magic becomes art when it has nothing to hide.” BEN OKRI quote
ASW
View Profile
Inner circle
1887 Posts

Profile of ASW
Quote:
On 2010-08-25 11:57, dsalley13 wrote:
I believe that Michael Ammar's "The Magic of Michael Ammar" was in it's 12th or 13th printing before it went OP. That's a lot of printings and should get it into the category of Best Sellers.

The Tarbell books should be on that list too. I'm not sure of the total number of printings for each volume, but there sure were a lot of them.

dsalley13

I heard that that Ammar book is one of THE best selling books of the last 20 years. Maybe the top seller.

Two others that have been best sellers are The Annotated Erdnase and Strong Magic.
Whenever I find myself gripping anything too tightly I just ask myself "How would Guy Hollingworth hold this?"

A magician on the Genii Forum

"I would respect VIPs if they respect history."

Hideo Kato
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Best-sellers books (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL