The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Let the Air out (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Sorry if this has been posted but I tried searching for it and couldn't find it.

Can anyone tell me what Gazzo uses for his gag where he lets the air out of a wheel chair?

Thanks
Sir Richard
View Profile
Special user
650 Posts

Profile of Sir Richard
His mouth, I believe.

Sir Richard.
"In the land of Murphy there is but ONE law!"
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
What a hack...hey I have a better idea, write your own gag.

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Oh come on Danny, don't be so hard. I've watched Gazzo's Cups and Balls and the great set of DVD's you and Cozmo put out. I noticed that half the lines Cozmo uses, Gazzo uses. Sure, I'd love to come up with my own stuff, and over time, hopefully I will, but I gotta start somewhere and I think that's what the DVD's are for.
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
No that's what Joke books are for. The lines Kozmo uses come from read between the lines. Does Gazzo say that you can use his bits on the DVD? Do you know how many other guys are using those same hack lines? If you are going to steal an act or lines for an act you should at least have be smart enough to find a field that hasn't all ready been plowed by every hack in the English speaking world. I stand by my original comment, HACK. It's guys like you that keeps guys like me from posting videos.

For the record, I'm not being hard I am just being honest. There is nothing personal or any ill will or malice in my comment. It is just a simple statement of fact, you lack the talent to write your own material so you just steal it from the acts of working professionals. You also justify doing this by saying things like, "That's what DVDs are for" That is right up there with, 'All the other kids are doing it.' and my favorite, 'there is nothing new under the sun'. ALL of these things BY THEIR VERY DEFINITION make you a hack. I'm sorry mate, I didn't set the criteria. If it makes you uncomfortable try writing something instead of stealing it or go into the funny pants business. there really is nothing personal in my observation.

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
Mr. Pitts
View Profile
Inner circle
David Pitts
1058 Posts

Profile of Mr. Pitts
You won't be very good at first either way, so why not stink up the place with your own material instead of someone else's. Danny's brutally honest, but he's right. Write your own material. Plus, you'll be happier if you create your own stuff. I'm as proud of my act as I am of anything I've ever made myself (except my kids, but I had help with them).. because I made it, I know it, I can defend it. It's such a personal work it would be hard to steal. It has value to me more than it ever could if I just lifted it. Do it the hard way, you'll be glad you did.
David Pitts
The Astonishing Mr. Pitts
Comedy Magician and Ventriloquist
http://www.mrpitts.com
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Danny, I can't tell if your saying that I'm a hack for not coming up with original material or for stealing material. (Definition of a Hack?)

I guess I'm suprised that you think I would be stealing material I wasn't authorized to use. I'll admit that I assumed that if it was on the DVD it was fair game. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong and I won't use it. But to say, did Gazzo say I could use his bits on the DVD seems strange to me. I assumed if he released a DVD to teach his Cups and Balls routine that he was authorizing pretty much anything on the DVD. If he doesn't authorize me to use that bit, how do I know which bits he does authorize the purchaser to use?

Please don't take this the wrong way. I respect you tremendously and I absolutely agree that I should create as much original material as possible.
Sir Richard
View Profile
Special user
650 Posts

Profile of Sir Richard
1st just let me say that I believe a lot of Gazzo's gags came along before even he started using them. In his book on Street cups he gives permission to use his jokes and even lists them. That being said, most of his stuff does not fit my personality. Gazzo is an "insult" comic & I am not. I didn't even get mad at him for using one of my own very old Polack jokes. (My last name is Polish, so I'm entitled.) The old "I'll tell it slow." gag.

However, all that being said, try & fit your lines to fit you & your personality. Be original, not a 2nd rate impersonator; that's all you'll look like. As an example look at all the Elvis impersonators, they can't hold a candle to the real deal. One magician in our club copies both Bill Malone & Michael Ammar when he performs. It comes off poorly as he delivers his lines in a "wooden" fashion. Some of my jokes I wrote & some came from joke books like "That Reminds Me." I tried using some of Jim Cellini's gags, but they didn't "fit." I looked at what I was doing and wrote some of my own material. As an example, when I do the old "Insurance policy" trick I always pick an unshaven male, usually with a big bushy mustache. I read the line off of the conditions which says..."try offering them a big, wet, kiss instead of the money." I look at them, pause for just the right amount of time so they don't know what I'm going to do next & say: "Not unless you shave 1st!" It kills! That's because it fits me. Good luck in your endeavors.

Sir Richard.
"In the land of Murphy there is but ONE law!"
Arkadia
View Profile
Special user
Sweden, Sundsvall
866 Posts

Profile of Arkadia
I thought Gazzo palmed a wheel chair in his left hand and unscrewing the lid with his right while using misdirection in form of sound from his mouth. By the way, this one is easiest to palm: http://tankchair.com/img/home.jpg
Don't miss out on the great new mentalist magic: www.metalwriting.com
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Quote:
On 2010-08-20 00:07, rockwall wrote:
Danny, I can't tell if your saying that I'm a hack for not coming up with original material or for stealing material. (Definition of a Hack?)

First off as I pointed out "I" am not saying you are a hack I am merely pointing out the obvious. By using another person's act to harvest material you are by very definition a hack.

Now look, this is not always a bad thing. If you are just learning how to do magic an excellent way to learn is to take existing material and to learn it by rote as it is TAUGHT to you by rote. Whit Haydn a man I respect and admire TREMENDOUSLY as an entertainer as well as a guy who can teach wrote a wonderful essay AGAINST originality when starting out. The problem is, a lot of guys do not use it to learn magic they have started using it as an excuse to rip people off.

I have not seen the DVD of which you speak, but I am pretty sure that Gazzo is teaching you the cups and balls and showing you a demonstration of HIS act. Unless he explicitly says in the video that the jokes are up for grabs you should actually assume that they are NOT.

In His book on the cups and balls he does give permission, he also says use them at your own risk. I personally think that about 75% of the people who do magic lack the skill in mimicry required to pull off Gazzo's act without getting punched in the neck by an angry audience member. 99.999% of them lack the skill in comedy to know why one joke works and another doesn't, and 100% of those who use the acts of others to harvest their comedy material really don't care.

I think that's sad, I think it's poor craftsmanship, and I think only a hack will admit, "I lack the talent to write my own jokes so I just steal them." WE ALL LACKED THE TALENT TO WRITE OUR OWN JOKES WHEN WE STARTED OUT SOME OF US KEPT SWINGING TILL WE HAD MATERIAL.

If you are going to do comedy in an act and you consider your self a comedy magician you need to write material. The best way to do that is to take a comedy work shop and or writing class in your home town. Most cities offer them look around. Another way is to buy a couple of books on the subject Judy Carter's book has been used as a text book in stand up comedy classes, Mike Bent's book on the subject is brilliant and will also help you write, re-write, and fund your inner funny.

The interesting thing is IN THE LONG RUN this is EASIER than stealing material. There is nothing wrong with taking an old joke or premise and reworking it but you REALLY need to rework it until it is YOURS.

For instance from an old Robert Orben book from 1954(ish) I found a joke I thought had a funny premise, "I went camping out in New Hampshire last week, it was great in just one night I was under more stars than Ava Gardner." Obviously that joke is so outdated no one would get it never mind find it funny but, "Paris hilton was in the tabloids again. My god if half of what they say is true she has been under more stars than the Hubble telescope (or the space shuttle, or...)" and before you ask NO YOU CAN'T USE THAT. I'm trying to help you fish here, not toss you a mackerel. Hopefully you can see that the new joke is completely different from the other retaining only the premise.

Comedy IS hard, BUT it is an essential part of your craft if you have any desire to create your own art.

Now I am not saying I have never done an unoriginal joke, as a matter of fact if I know there is magicians in the room you are going to hear my entire catalog of stock material. The reason for that is because many magicians think it is perfectly okay to steal your material. They actually assume that you stole it as well. I will say this, you have something stolen from your act ONCE you will never lift another line or borrow another bit.

If you find a line, bit, or joke, funny BE INSPIRED BY IT and write your own. Learn to craft some comedy!

Finally, I can show up at any festival, anywhere in the world, and not have to worry about anyone doing my act. I will always be able to work. At almost every major festival in the world there are usually at least six guys doing a bad rip off of Gazzo's act. Don't you aspire to better than that? I mean really? I want to add I am not angry or embittered. I am HONESTLY trying to share something worthwhile with you, and anyone else who is interested. If you want to be a 'real' street magician, one who will be respected by the guys who have been around a while, and I am NOT talking about magicians but street performers of every kind, do not show up doing a cheap rip off of Gazzo's act or Jim Cellini's old teaching act.

BOTH of these acts should be studied, and they should be used for inspiration, I like a lot of others think that Gazzo's street act is one of the the best magic acts being performed on the street...when Gazzo does it.

If you have never performed before in any capacity and you want to learn comedy and magic I would try out Whit Haydn's ring routine. It will teach you a lot about performing magic, timing, and using comedy in a magic routine, it will also not get you punched in the neck.

I will say that it is a testament to Gazzo and a sad commentary about the self respect level of so many magicians when they would rather be a cheap version of Gazzo than an honest version of themselves. That's one to think about...

Best,

Dan-

Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Danny's right on the money. But, consider this:

I remember Gazzo saying "take them, use them..." when referring to the bits in his book and video. Maybe in his own way he was cementing his own success by sabotaging the copyists who he knew couldn't pull it off the way he can.

Copying an act that was intended to be performed verbatim (Whit's Rings) is a good start. Copying bits of business tailored to fit a specific person (Gazzo) is asking for disaster. It may not have originated with Gazzo, but it fits his personality. Personally I wouldn't dare touch most of his stuff. It just doesn't fit me.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
First off, thanks for the advice Danny. Sincerely.

I spent the night thinking about this and I've gone through a bit of emotion. At first, I didn't know what Hack meant. I thought you were just commenting on originality. When I realized it essentially meant 'thief' I got a little upset. Maybe cause it was coming from someone I respect. You say it's not personal, just a fact. Isn't that kind of like calling someone fat and saying, "Hey, I'm just stating a fact, nothing personal."

Now on to the thief comment. I asked about what I thought was a utility device I'd seen in a bit I'd seen on one DVD I bought. Similar to asking if anyone knows where I can buy a squeaker like Gazzo uses in his Cups and Balls routine. From that one little question, I'm suddenly accused of being a hack, copying Gazzo's entire street act and being lazy. That seems like a lot of assumption.

For the record, I'm not copying Gazzo's entire act since I've never seen it. I've seen his Cups and Balls. I'm not copying Gazzo's entire cups and balls routine. I live in Utah, it wouldn't play very well here. I'm a beginner who's never done a street performance but I'm putting together a short performance as part of a fund raiser for my wifes foundation for the blind which is hosting a 5K run and wanted some entertainment afterwards. So yes, I'll be copying bits and pieces of acts I've learned from DVD's.

I've actually bought a couple books on comedy writing, (one that you mention here), so I am interested in writing some of my own material eventually.

Finally, on that one little bit I asked about. It's on the DVD and I've read other pros here say, Gazzo put his act out there so the entire act is fair game, good or bad. I tend to agree with that. It was obvious from yours and Kozmo's comments on Kozmo's DVD set that he realized he was doing the same thing and that he expected to see people doing his entire act line for line and that while not the best situation that if you put out a DVD with your act on it, you've given permission to use it, for better or worse.

Back to the original question, "Letting the air out". If Gazzo just makes the noise from his mouth, I'm surprised. I never would have guessed it from the DVD, it sounds too good. The kids my wife works with play Goalball, a sport for the blind that uses a ball similar to a basketball. I thought a funny bit would be to "let the air out" of their goalball.
ray raymond
View Profile
Veteran user
329 Posts

Profile of ray raymond
Dan, WOW
I find that very informative and inspirational. That in itself was an amazing education beyond the books and videos everyone quotes on here. I used to be a week end guy basically just starting on the streets. I was able to learn and spend a lil time with a couple of seasoned pros. To be Honest I had ripped off some stuff. This got back to the one of the guys, I was able to learn so much from. He called me up and said, "dude what are you doing." this is not a conversation you want to have with someone like that. At the same time though I am glad that I did. It was the kick in the pants I needed to work on things. To be honest going back out there after promising it won't happen again, I got beat around again for a few weeks, but show after show some of my original ideas began to develop.(truth is any one can do it I was just to lazy to at the beginning.) One thing I learned is if you have an Idea just go for it show after show it will develop. Just keep Working it. Thanks for that post. I got a lot out of it and thought I would share my experience.

Ray
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Wow Rockwell, the justification in that is stupendous. If hacks put as much effort into writing comedy as they do into justifying why they are hacks they would never have to lift another bit. That was really impressive, sincearly.

As far as letting someone know they are fat goes, as a fat guy I all ready know. That's one very important difference between fat guys and hacks. Hacks do not usually know they are hacks, or are working REALLY hard at justification.

So telling a fat guy he is fat is just being rude. Telling a guy he is a hack is more along the lines of letting a guy in the parking lot of the supermarket know his tire is flat just before he tries to pull out on the highway.

I do want to say that if my post made you a bit upset GOOD! It shows you have a shred of moral compass. Unless it just made you upset at ME because I pointed out you were being a hack. Then you are just a hack.

Like I said, at least make an effort to find material that is not being plowed by every hack in the English speaking world. Just because you CAN do something doesn't mean you SHOULD do it. Don't be a hack.

Best,

Dan-

rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Does this mean I should return the vest I bought with the uk flag on it? Smile
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Quote:
On 2010-08-20 11:09, rockwall wrote:

**Rolls eyes** not if you can put your own spin on it! Smile

ray raymond
View Profile
Veteran user
329 Posts

Profile of ray raymond
On second thought rockwall is doing magic for the blind so its ok. They have never seen it before.

Sorry couldn't resist
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:
On 2010-08-20 11:11, Danny Hustle wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-08-20 11:09, rockwall wrote:

**Rolls eyes** not if you can put your own spin on it! Smile

you're a hard guy to please. It may not have been good but at least it was original
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
You (<-- the greater you, not Rockwell in particular, but anyone interested.) know if you REALLY can not write a joke to save your life it is because you have never tried or do not understand the craft of joke writing. There is NO SHAME in that NONE!

I will give you a real cheaty pants way to not look like a hack that is almost as easy as being a hack.

First thing is sit down and look at what tricks you are doing. Take a look at all the 'borrowed' jokes you are currently using to make your act funny. Look at why that joke is funny, think about what makes it work, what is the premise, and what is the change up verbally that kicks in that involuntary response we all call laughter.

Now think of what would be a similar situation, premise, or physical response, that could evoke that same response.

Now it may not be as good as the original but if it gets a laugh at all it is better because it is YOURS.

This process may seem stupid, or a bit daunting to begin with but what you are really doing is playing mad libs with your stole..er..I mean 'borrowed' material.

Mad libs is one of those games where the more you do it the better you get at it.

Before too long you will find you can take almost any joke you find funny and turn it around until it is nearly unrecognizable but will fit YOU even better than the original. Make it a game, you'll have fun and get good material.

If you have a bunch of magic guys you hang out with when you are all sitting at the counter at Denny's lying about how great your last gig was play this game instead. Everybody gets a new joke for their act abd by combining your new found powers material gets written quicker.

Finally, a very good friend of mine that I grew up with is a painter. A successful painter if you call having the ability to make a living from your art a success.

An on line magazine interviewed him about what advice he would give aspiring artists. First thing he said was learn your craft. Go to school and learn the craft. You can have all of the natural talent in the world but learning what brushes to use, how to mix paint, the ins and outs of perspective, etc.. will only make your natural ability better.

Magicians or more honestly many magic hobbyists do not want to do the heavy lifting, they do not want to learn the craft. If you want to do comedy magic you should understand the craft of comedy and become a craftsman of that aspect of YOUR ART.

Best,

Dan-

Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
One quick last thing about hacking and comedy in general.

Using the 'standard' line. Now keep in mind that at one time 'standard' lines were written by somebody and hacked so much that they became 'standards'. Yes, that's right some poor schmo actually wrote the line, "No...the clean hand." and killed with it to the point of the line being hacked into oblivion.

Now this is a line I see used ALL THE TIME. The interesting thing to me is I almost NEVER see anyone get a laugh with it. In most cases not even a feeble wheeze. It is because the teller lacks any skills in the delivery of comedy what so ever.

I can name two comedians both British that I have seen use this old pile of festering doo-doo and bring the house down with it. Wayne Dobson and Gazzo. Why? They are both brilliant comedians who understand TIMING and DELIVERY.

So when you get done writing those new mad libbed jokes that sounded so hysterical with the boys at the Denny's counter but suddenly in the act all you hear are crickets, it may not be the joke. It might be the deliver. So then we can sit down again and have another chat. But for now JUST WRITE!

Best,

Dan-

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Let the Air out (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL