We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Sponge Tennis Balls (Set of 4) by Alan Wong (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King

OK, these have been the sponges I've waited for since first doing the trick. I'm ordering!

DESCRIPTION

This is the most super realistic sponge item ever made by Alan Wong. The set comes with four sponge tennis balls.

You can produce them, vanish them, multiply them, throw them out for gags.
They bounce like a real tennis ball too!
Perfect for final loads under cups and balls - and as many as you can fit in!
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
davidpeters
View Profile
Loyal user
213 Posts

Profile of davidpeters
These do look really great! They are in stock so get your order in at your favorite magic dealer world wide.
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
5649 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Very realistic looking balls. Worth checking them out.

Smile
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET, there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
Tomer
View Profile
Regular user
Israel
113 Posts

Profile of Tomer
Any idea if you can do a regular sponge ball routine with these? or their too big for that?
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2222 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
I remember Finn Jon selling these a long time ago with 2 shells and a fantastic routine. Those were white tennis balls. Alan's looks more visible with that yellow green natural color. It would even be great if he also had shells in it.
Magic, Illusions, Juggling, Puppet & Parrot Show ^0^
http://www.louhilario.net
Powermagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1418 Posts

Profile of Powermagic
Is the photo above for show or the actual balls?
Finns were hand made and one color. The gimmick was neat and I have wished he put it back out. He used to say anyone could get a piece of foam and carefully cut away at it to make the ball. He claimed that is what he did. However I never had much luck.

I never had a set of the multiplying balls but still have one of his , a bit yellowed as foam does that came with his bubble to tennis ball.

Can anyone report how squishy they are and if they spring back like any other sponge ball? I have tired foam balls from other sources and they never expanded as fast as Goshman sponges.
Stucky
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Batman!
1350 Posts

Profile of Stucky
Quote:
On 2010-08-20 21:03, Lou Hilario wrote:
I remember Finn Jon selling these a long time ago with 2 shells and a fantastic routine. Those were white tennis balls. Alan's looks more visible with that yellow green natural color. It would even be great if he also had shells in it.

His act used to fool me badly when I was younger.
Official Thread Killer
Mediocre the Great
View Profile
Inner circle
Rich Hurley
1060 Posts

Profile of Mediocre the Great
These are amazing. They absolutely look real. We were playing with them at Dean Dill's shop the other day - and we're coming up with lots of ideas on how to use them. I will be ordering a set.
Mediocrity is greatly under rated!
--------------------------------------------

Rich Hurley aka Mediocre The Great!
www.RichHurleyMagic.com
Powermagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1418 Posts

Profile of Powermagic
Rich
why do you think the promo video just shows him batting them with a racket rather than actually doing magic with them?

To me they appear to be too firm to do sponge ball effects. Maybe similar to the foam balls used as "water balls"

Since you have played with them, how much can they compact and how does it compare to a large sponge ball of similar size from Goshman? How fast do the Wong balls expand in comparison after being compressed for 10 or 15 minutes? Any chance of the color coming off? Any comparison to the Finn John balls of yesteryear?
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7294 Posts

Profile of paisa23
But I'm assuming you can still do some of the Standard Sponge ball routine with these correct?
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
is where I'm trapped, because of my
4071 Posts

Profile of Michael Peterson
I counted 12 of them in the demo,I would think they compress pretty good to hold that many in 1 hand.

Mike
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7294 Posts

Profile of paisa23
I like them, just seem very different than just pulling out red balls. MIght have to pick these up.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Craig Petty and David Penn just reviewed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ni3dIj90O......embedded
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Mind_Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
The Sunshine State USA
1234 Posts

Profile of Mind_Magic
I have sponge bananas from Alan Wong, good looking and quality.

It could be good to know how many balls you can compress in a hand.
tristanmagic
View Profile
Special user
530 Posts

Profile of tristanmagic
I don't think it is a good idea to do a sponge ball routine with these as
A)they are 2 big,
B)you don't want your audience to know that they are made of sponge!
This is great for a production item or for a routine like Finn John's.
Dick Christian
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Virginia (Metro DC)
2620 Posts

Profile of Dick Christian
Watching the recent Wizard Product Review video in which these are featured should answer most questions -- and convince anyone on the fence to buy 'em. I'll be placing my order soon.
Dick Christian
The Mighty Fool
View Profile
Inner circle
I feel like a big-top tent having
2120 Posts

Profile of The Mighty Fool
Man those wizard guys crack me up! The question I really need answered is do these things bounce like tennis balls (as it says in the ad) I have large hands & I'll bet I could do a wicked purse-frame routine with 4-6 of these, but can you bounce them?
Everybody wants to beleive.....we just help them along.
s3rg3
View Profile
New user
Belgium
72 Posts

Profile of s3rg3
Quote:
On 2010-08-29 04:23, The Mighty Fool wrote:
Man those wizard guys crack me up! The question I really need answered is do these things bounce like tennis balls (as it says in the ad) I have large hands & I'll bet I could do a wicked purse-frame routine with 4-6 of these, but can you bounce them?

The first post in this topic mentions:
"They bounce like a real tennis ball too!"

I hope this answers the question... In de demo video you can also see the balls bounce.

Rgds
Serge
The Mighty Fool
View Profile
Inner circle
I feel like a big-top tent having
2120 Posts

Profile of The Mighty Fool
All I saw in the vid dem was the sponges being bopped off of a tennis raquet. Can you take one, throw it straight down from chest level, and have it rebound right back up to your hand like a tennis ball would?
Everybody wants to beleive.....we just help them along.
Powermagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1418 Posts

Profile of Powermagic
Ahh he tricked you. YOu did not see 12 productions.
One is on the racket already. ANd at least 3 if not 4 are visible and nearly full size.
7 are compressed at most.
Still pretty good but not 12. That is if there are only 3 or 4 actually in view. There could have been more, not hidden off the back since two come flying out on first toss. But even 6 is pretty good IF you have the cover of the other balls/ I doubt you could put 6 in the hand without anything else to act as a distraction or cover.
And what I would also like to know is how they perform while compressed for say 15 minutes.

As for the bounce, I would take a guess is they would not bounce like a REAL tennis ball if using the floor. The nature of less dense foam just might not allow for it to return fully back to the hand. I know even the Finn John balls were said to BOUNCE but you had to throw harder and it still did not return fully to the height you would exact a real ball too.
Finn used to bounce it on a table up to his hand. So not a very far bounce since that was it limits and gave the average person the idea it was a real ball vs sponge.

SO if Wong got a compressible ball and a full bounce, I will buy a set for sure.

Quote:
On 2010-08-24 02:42, Michael Peterson wrote:
I counted 12 of them in the demo,I would think they compress pretty good to hold that many in 1 hand.

Mike
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Sponge Tennis Balls (Set of 4) by Alan Wong (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL