The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » David Blaine - What Is Magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Carrie Sue
View Profile
Veteran user
Auburn, MI
332 Posts

Profile of Carrie Sue
Tonight I had the pleasure of catching the David Blaine special "What Is Magic" on the Travel Channel. The cable guide said "2010," but the credits on the special said it was produced in 2008. I don't know; I never saw it before.

I enjoyed this special because Blaine took the concept back to first principles: Surprising people with magic as they were going about their daily routines. Whether catching someone on the street or dropping into a home at random, Blaine never failed to amaze, delight, and generally bless people. That's why he's so good.

Realizing that I will probably never be famous because I will never attempt the bullet catch like he did, I remarked to my mother that I would like to attempt a blindfolded drive someday. Her response? "Wait til I'm dead!"

I said, "Thank you for your support."

By focusing on the characters he met out in the world, and not so much on himself, Blaine showed us all how to be better performers.

Carrie
www.proximityillusions.com

ASLAN IS ON THE MOVE!
mtpascoe
View Profile
Inner circle
1932 Posts

Profile of mtpascoe
I saw the same special and thought the same thing. I never heard of this special before, but somehow caught it last night. The bullet catch was interesting. Blaine never shows emotion when he performs, but he did for that stunt. I don't believe the bullet catch is real, but his reactions says other wise.
tls5678
View Profile
New user
Central Florida
26 Posts

Profile of tls5678
Quote:
I don't believe the bullet catch is real, but his reactions says other wise.

Amazing. Smile
Thirty years of being Mrs. Skenes, and still counting... now THAT'S magic!
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
I thought it was good as well.

The "rednecks" singing was really funny...

Sorry if that sounds racist. It was funny though...

Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
A.G.
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver- Canada
960 Posts

Profile of A.G.
The Bullet catch was real, db is still the worlds most intriguing magician.

Andrew Gerard
Well then...
Carrie Sue
View Profile
Veteran user
Auburn, MI
332 Posts

Profile of Carrie Sue
When discussing this bullet catch last evening at our Ring meeting, I was reminded of the magician Carl Skenes who caught a 22 cal. bullet in his mouth on That's Incredible! in 1980.

It was, at the time, the only documented attempt of a person to catch a real bullet in his mouth, and as I remember, his lip was grazed in the attempt.

Look for the video on the Web, and reminisce.

So is Blaine a copy-cat? Well, he's not the first to do what he did, that's all.

Carrie

ASLAN IS ON THE MOVE!
mtpascoe
View Profile
Inner circle
1932 Posts

Profile of mtpascoe
Skenes not only gave his permission for the stunt, but help set it up. So, he had Skenes full blessing. If he didn't, Skenes would have made sure the bullet would have missed lol.
tls5678
View Profile
New user
Central Florida
26 Posts

Profile of tls5678
Great memory, Carrie!

David Blaine made contact with my husband in the fall of 2008 and asked him if he could assist in a presentation of the Bullet Catch. Carl readily agreed, and the stunt, based upon Carl's presentation on "That's Incredible!" in 1980, was filmed at a shooting range near our home in Orlando a few weeks later.

It was indeed, REAL, and we were amazed at the beautiful slow motion video of the bullet entering the steel cup David held in his mouth. In 1980, Carl's Bullet Catch on "That's incredible!", also contained slow-motion, frame by frame video, but with technological advancements, the difference was stunning.

David was a pleasure to work with, and we hope to work with him again soon.

Tina
Thirty years of being Mrs. Skenes, and still counting... now THAT'S magic!
Carrie Sue
View Profile
Veteran user
Auburn, MI
332 Posts

Profile of Carrie Sue
What an interesting tidbit, Tina. Thank you!

Carrie

ASLAN IS ON THE MOVE!
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On 2010-08-25 11:46, A.G. wrote:
The Bullet catch was real, db is still the worlds most intriguing magician.

Andrew Gerard

For all the flack he has caught since his first special, you gotta hand it to him, the guy has rode the wave!
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
He is better than Criss Angel for sure...

I could not resist. Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
John T. Sheets
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, USA
1105 Posts

Profile of John T. Sheets
I enjoyed it as well. He also featured one of my effects on the special. Smile
www.johnTsheets.com

See the "Quantum Bender 3.0" trailer here... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkTVw9FjonE

See my Dove Act here... https://youtu.be/Ms7_u46Qpp0

See the "Energy Bender" trailer here... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpJOfL0k8xA

See the "Table of Death" in Las Vegas trailer here... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YivizLAKD7I
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Bullet catch fans might want to peruse the following:

http://conjuringarts.org/exhibitions/the-bullet-catch/

It includes a lengthy discussion of Carl Skenes' and David Blaine's performances.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Tony45
View Profile
Veteran user
384 Posts

Profile of Tony45
I watched the video and I think hes nuts to do that stunt. It appeared to be a high end target rifle, possibly an Anschutz but I'm not sure. My target rifle is capable of 5 rounds in one hole at 50 yards and its a heavily modified Ruger 10-22.
If anyone wants a picture of one of my groups with it I will gladly send it, reason I mention this is it was done in an indoor range at what appeared to be 10 yards so that takes the wind totally out of the equation.I shoot outdoors and the wind always factors in, I have been heavily involved with firearms for the last 20 years, not only in shooting but manufacturing my own ammunition from scratch and do a little trigger work also. I just cant see taking a .22 LR round in the mouth like that, it might have been a .22 short which chambers in the rifle also and has a lot less power, but I cant see catching the LR round, its just too fast. The .22 is one of the most under rated guns out there, I know I sure as hell wouldnt want to be hit with one, lol.
The guy has got a lot of heart to do that, also got to be a little nuts, lol.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » David Blaine - What Is Magic (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL