The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Updated photos of my cups, and Chink-a-Chink sets (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Bill Wilson
View Profile
Special user
536 Posts

Profile of Bill Wilson
Amazing collection. Something to be proud of I'm sure. Are they're any combo sets in your collection or are they all traditional style?
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
5968 Posts

Profile of motown
Yes Fortasse,

those are the ones I'm talking about. Very cool.
Do they ever come up for sale and what kind of price would they go for.

Craig
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
fortasse
View Profile
Inner circle
1196 Posts

Profile of fortasse
Wandboy : Thanks for your comments. There are one or two combo sets - but not more than that - in my collection (an old Morrissey set comes immediately to mind). Have never cared for combo sets - and until very recently didn't care for chop cups either..... but slowly beginning to warm to them.

Craig : I have not seen another set come up for sale at any of the popular web-based auctions. The set I bought was not particularly expensive (just about a hundred dollars or so); bought on the big auction site from one of the leading vintage magic dealers.

Fortasse
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1079 Posts

Profile of BCS
Fortasse… Happy Labor Day to you, I hope all is well and that you enjoy the day. Mine is pretty lazy doing nothing, but taking it easy. I was looking over your great collection; your photos look fantastic and have I have a question for you… How hard was it and how long did it take you to find a set of Bertram Cups? Can you please make any suggestions as to where I can start to find a set?

Take care,
Bruce
dcjames
View Profile
Special user
576 Posts

Profile of dcjames
Quote:
On 2010-09-06 11:41, BCS wrote:
Fortasse… Happy Labor Day to you, I hope all is well and that you enjoy the day. Mine is pretty lazy doing nothing, but taking it easy. I was looking over your great collection; your photos look fantastic and have I have a question for you… How hard was it and how long did it take you to find a set of Bertram Cups? Can you please make any suggestions as to where I can start to find a set?

Take care,
Bruce

Hello Bruce -

Just a couple of weeks ago a set of Bertram cups with the original black rubber balls was auctioned off on the big auction site. I added them to my watched list and was a bit surprised that the final bid came in at over $1,500.

I'll keep my eyes out and the next time I see a set up for bid or sale, I will let you know.

Best,

Doug
“Magic is very easy to do - poorly.”

Tommy Wonder
The Books of Wonder
Volume 2
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1079 Posts

Profile of BCS
Doug… Thanks for the information; I don’t know how I missed them.

Happy Holiday,
Bruce
fortasse
View Profile
Inner circle
1196 Posts

Profile of fortasse
Bruce :

Ross Bertram cups appear to surface with some regularity at the major magic auctions and/or Ebay - never in great numbers but you can usually count on 3-5 sets on average coming up for sale during a given year. When I bought my set at auction some years back, I paid what I thought was the outrageously astronomical price of $777. I wasn't the only one who wanted them so the bidding was quite competitive. I didn't know when I would come across another set in such pristine condition. The cups had a fantastic chocolate/ caramel blotch-free patina and they came with the custom hand-stiched cloth bag peculiar to RB cups. Moreover, the cups were being auctioned by a seller of impeccable reputation. So, I went for them. And got them. Since that time, I always take great delight whenever I see RB sets going for more than I paid for mine and nowadays that's usually always the case. And yes, I know of other cases where RB cups have sold for north of $1500. I guess it's the same old story that when two or more people go after the same thing at the same time and are determined to get it, anything can happen.

I should add, however, that RB cups are not the most practical cups for regular use unless you're planning on using rather small balls. They have a comparatively shallow saddle which makes for a lot of rocking if the balls aren't right. The Magic Inc (mis-named "Charlie Miller") cups have the same problem but are otherwise great cups. The RNT II Phoenix cups and the Tom Frank Phoenix cups are much better engineered in this regard and and are therefore more versatile and practical for everyday C&B use.

Bottom line, Bruce : just keep looking. Sooner or later a good set at at a good price will come up at one of the auctions. In the meantime, you can test the waters on the Let's Make a Deal section of this forum by posting a "Want to Buy" notice. Never know what you might reel in.

Fortasse
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
5968 Posts

Profile of motown
Thanks! I'll keep a look out.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Boudje
View Profile
New user
France
89 Posts

Profile of Boudje
Wonderfull collection of ckink a chink set.
Just a question, so you are one who really can have a personal jugement: wich set(s) seems to be the more deceiptive? And witch on are your favorite?
fortasse
View Profile
Inner circle
1196 Posts

Profile of fortasse
Thanks, Boudje. IMHO, the most ingenious and deceptive C-a-C set ever created is the one by Tonny van Rhee of the Netherlands (it's shown in my collection; the only set I have two of). When you finish the routine, there is nothing to lap; there is nothing left in your hands or anywhere else on you; and you can let the spectators handle and inspect the pieces as much as they like. They can even look at them under a microscope. The mechanism is pure genius and it defies detection.

The most exquisitely beautiful set, in my view, and again highly deceptive, is the one by Eddy Taytelbaum (originally from Trinidad but also now of the Netherlands, if I'm not mistaken).

My personal favourite, from a utilitarian standpoint, is the new "Wandering Chimes" set by Tommy Wonder, manufactured by Auke van Dokkum, again of the Netherlands (What's with the Dutch?). Of all the shell-type C-of-C-sets, this one is so constructed as to be the easiest for palming- for me anyway. And it is superbly made, as is all of Auke's work.

The new set by Jim Riser/Whit Haydn is a beautiful piece of precision engineering as well (but for me a bit too heavy - perhaps unavoidably as the storyline requires them to represent real scale-weights). Still, they're a great set (as was the predecessor set from Haydn/Encore Magic).

The most brilliant set, but only when combined with the special routine it plays out to, is probably Poker Pot by Jack Avis of England. Ingeniously deceptive and packed with a final surprise that will fool magicians!

I'm just about finished with a little book on the origins and early days of the Chink-a-Chink trick. Will likely make it an e-book.

Fortasse
Boudje
View Profile
New user
France
89 Posts

Profile of Boudje
Thanks for your exhaustive answer.

I really like the design of the Wandering Whimes from Tommy Wonder. Quite unusual.
Don't forget to put pictures in your book. Smile
fortasse
View Profile
Inner circle
1196 Posts

Profile of fortasse
Will do!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Updated photos of my cups, and Chink-a-Chink sets (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL