The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Flash Paper (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2210 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Quote:
On 2010-09-05 13:47, Dougini wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7FxcrDtUHY

That is the version created by Kevin James.

Doug

Okay that's the version I saw, maybe it was Kevin James himself doing it, because it wasn't Copperfield.

If I can ask this, without revealing too much, watching Copperfield I am impressed with how I cannot even begin to figure the h---- u- out. (Of course I am a rank amateur when it comes to IT, I havent even gotten there yet on my "new skills to learn" list.)

As he is doing it, is this something someone could learn to do in a parlor? or does it need stage preparation ?
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
PenEnpitsu
View Profile
New user
Southern California
36 Posts

Profile of PenEnpitsu
I recently bought flash paper and have been using it in conjunction with my TT and for other objects for vanishes and productions. If you smoke in the middle of your routine, you won't need an igniter or hand flasher Smile
AlexanderY
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of AlexanderY
I used to have the idea that the best time to produce the object was when the paper was still burning. But I realised that the 'flash' actually happens when the paper is nearly extinguished. This is the best time to produce the object because that moment has the brightest flash.
StephenP
View Profile
Regular user
103 Posts

Profile of StephenP
Quote:
On 2010-09-01 17:44, Ken Rabalais wrote:
Make small origami bird with flash paper, produce larger bird during the flash.

Those come to mind first, hope they are not too silly.

Not at all, Ken, I think I'm going to try the origami when I get a chance.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
I had to buy several types, until I got some flash cotton. Then I realized there was a device that fits on your finger that ignites it. It took quite a bit of experimentation to find the right size piece of cotton, to do what I wanted.

I wish I'd saved myself all the hassle by just reading a few posts here. Oh, by the way the Floating Rose, one version, used an approx. 9" x 9" piece:

[/quote]

Doug, I just bought one of those finger devices that ignites the flash cotton...would you PM me or post here where to find the threads on loading the right amount of cotton? I still have a hard time getting it to flash on the very first strike, which can really mess up your timing.....The prop is great. Mine is flesh painted brass and made well, but the right amount of cotton is tantamount. Also, where do you get your cotton? I pay $6.00 for a small bag that must be dried out first. It ships wet because of its volatility. To use, it must be dried first and then torn apart for loads. Thanks! Best, Bob
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8689 Posts

Profile of harris
My thought is to be mentored in use of any pyrotechnic items.

Also make sure you carry the correct type of insurance.

Less can be more in this and many other utility moves,props....
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
StephenP
View Profile
Regular user
103 Posts

Profile of StephenP
Well just don't try to make your own. That's something I've read and learned and will take to heart.
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3615 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
I tend to favor cotton for most effects...
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
StephenP
View Profile
Regular user
103 Posts

Profile of StephenP
My next gambits are with Flaming Comic Book by Jim Pace and Swadling's Torn and Restored Card.
crochow
View Profile
Regular user
Youngstown, Ohio
129 Posts

Profile of crochow
Over the years, I've learned and prefer to use the flash cotton. It's faster, and far more brilliant. For the finger flasher, pack the cotton lightly for better ignition.
Magically,

Chris Rochow
djurmann
View Profile
Inner circle
thinks time to practice and stop writing
1481 Posts

Profile of djurmann
I recently bought Scott Penrose's lecture DVD an introduction to flash products.

Whilst it does not cover the effects you mention it does start with a general discussion on flash products, checking quality (and being prepared to pay for it) - it should burn very fast, how to store it and different ways of lighting it.

It is the only DVD I could find on how to use flash products and I am , on the whole, glad I bought it. You might want to give it a look.

Danny
Double O Magic
View Profile
Veteran user
365 Posts

Profile of Double O Magic
Sorry I have not been active here for some time. The main problem I have constantly had is that when I attempt to use it, it will sometimes be uncomfortable due to the heat. So it is hard to keep the paper at my fingertips while burning.
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
2210 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
This reminds me of the old joke...

A guy walks into the doctors office, and says "Doc it hurts when I do this..." and proceeds to twist his arm way up behind his back.
The doctor says "Well, then don't do that."

If you are lighting the paper by hand and you find the temperature uncomfortable to hold, you should probably toss it or let it go. Alternately, you can get a metal hand-flash gizmo that both lights and contains it as was mentioned above.

When I was a kid, I used to do a demo where I held a piece of flash paper in the palm of my hand and lit it. It burned so fast that, while I wouldn't call it comfortable, it didn't burn me. Most of the paper I've been able to get in the past few years however I wouldn't do that with as it burns significantly slower. Id either contain it or toss it.
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1310 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
I use in to wrap a coin up then ligth it and it gone. If yoiu need to hold it take a bit and roll up or twist a bit your fingers hold and have the other end fanned out. then as you ligth it there be a sunden flash just gently toss and the flame will fizzel out.
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
djurmann
View Profile
Inner circle
1481 Posts

Profile of djurmann
Hello again, how hot it is will depend on a number of factors; old or poor quality paper burns slower (and hurts more), paper that is loosely balled will burn faster than a sheet (and hurts less), for myself I find that a 2inch by 3 inch strip can be burned in the palm of my hand without pain. Bear in mind that finger tips are more sensitive than palms.

Flash wool burns faster than flash paper, but I think may be a bit less versatile. I have ordered the Jay Sankey video mentioned earlier and look forward to hearing what he has to say.

If you use sparkles with your flash products the advice I have received is use VERY sparingly. I do not know if it can be held in the hand.

Posted: Dec 19, 2010 9:35am
OK I have bought and watched Jay Sankey's (JS) Spontaneous Combustion DVD. JS scores in the use of flash paper for close up. He does hold the paper in his fingers but drops it. JS only uses flash paper and always uses a lighter (in this DVD). Scott Penrose shows far more about flash products, methods of lighting, assessing the quality of the product etc, however the examples he uses are more (imho) for stage than close up, though some could be used for both.
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
2210 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
One more maybe obvious comment....

Heat rises. Hold your flashpaper from the bottom, not the top.
Double O Magic
View Profile
Veteran user
365 Posts

Profile of Double O Magic
I was holding it mainly from the side? Is that ok?
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
2210 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Quote:
On 2010-12-19 13:26, Double O Magic wrote:
I was holding it mainly from the side? Is that ok?

Side is cool, though the paper should be slanting up from the fingers, not down.

Posted: Dec 19, 2010 2:00pm
Btw.. since we're on the subject. Does anyone have a good reliable source for high quality, quick flashing paper?

Also, I've just started using cotton. whats the heat output of that? More or less then the paper? does it vary too?
djurmann
View Profile
Inner circle
1481 Posts

Profile of djurmann
Hi Cyberqat,

Where are you based? I bought some paper from http://www.alakazam.com, seems OK, and before that from http://www.magicshop.co.uk both were fine though personally I prefer Alakazam - the high P&P costs and slow delivery time from magic shop means they are no longer my vendor of choice. Alakazam has wool, paper and string.

As for cotton the quality will vary and it burns faster than paper but a direct heat comparison is problematic. For example I use flash paper to "wrap things" prior to vanishing them. I can't easily wrap items in cotton as it would not seem logical. On the other hand a flasher would typically use wool - or so I understand so the quantities used are not easily compared.

Hope this helps,

Danny

Posted: Dec 23, 2010 3:16am
Btw Cyberqat,

You have used this stuff WAY more than me....I should be asking you

Happy Christmas (NOT Happy Holidays....mutter mutter ;-)

D
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
2210 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
THanks.

Happy Quanza!

(no, I'm actually not black, but its as good a holiday as any this time of year!)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Flash Paper (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.51 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL