The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Leonard Kobal...the bizarrist (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Hi! Lenny here! I wanted to share my thoughts on bizarre magik since I have decided to insert myself amongst you. I advise you stop reading now. You have been warned.

A quick introduction. My real name is known to a number of you, enough about that. I have been involved with magic for about 40 years now, starting as a wee bit of a boy after seeing Blackstone Jr. perform. I got Gibson's book on Houdini and came up with my own methods of doing his tricks in the book and also figured out how to move a marble on a table. I also attempted to drill a hole in my folks kitchen floor, I was too weak to make it work (didn't have an electric drill then), because the only magic book I had feed material through a table from under the stage and I didn't have a stage but I had a kitchen. My first experience with bizarre magik was when I met Gene Poinc and I thought he was a nut job. Andruzzi (a funny guy) and Burger along with Neale also influenced me.

I should say from the get go that there are clearly some here that I do not consider bizarrist but more mentalist wanna bees or guys who think bizarre means an odd name, a black outfit, and a necklace with something demonic on it...whoopie! That is cool, in the children's forum here there are experts who I don't think have ever seen a real child. I wanted to just clear that up because while there are a lot of guys here who I know or know of who I respect there are some who clearly I won't bother with. You are, obviously, welcome to ignore me and I think you should.

Bizarre magik is, in my humble opinion, a character driven style of magic that has routines that are story oriented and the items used must reflect the character. The magic, character, or stories do not need to be spooky at all or strange even, but it is story and character magic and we need to stick to the character. It reminds me, actually, of the mimes that infested the world in the 70s, they would, when in make up, never talk, I mean you could threaten them, and I have, and they wouldn't talk. Andruzzi told me that he never would break character, he was on before, during, and after the show. I support this belief completely and it reflects what Houdin meant when he said a magician is an actor portraying a magician. You become one who really has powers.

Bizarre magik, again my opinion, should go beyond the 'wow' factor and touch the spectator on a deeper level. A good bizarrist can produce an item, say a crystal, and just by his story and how it relates to the character, make it seem magical even though that crystal just lay there. That is why applying some of the mental techniques work so well with bizarre magic if you are going for the spooky side, but remember the bizarre can also be light-hearted for funny. To do this, I support the idea that the character be something the spectator finds both a bit unusual yet familiar, that way you draw their attention just by being present. When your spectator's leave they should be thinking and hopefully wondering.

That is my general thoughts on this stuff. Later I might give you my method of developing routines etc..

Yours in Evil,
Leonard Kobal --so bizarre he's freaky.
Mind_Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
The Sunshine State USA
1252 Posts

Profile of Mind_Magic
LK welcome to the crypt!
Are you going to change your username?
Or we are going to identify you as Leonard Kobal the MagicSanta?
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I don't know..I orignally signed on because I got so mad about someone posting in the childrens area and didn't intend to post any more than that response. I've come to be so hated as Magic Santa.... I may be Leonard here cuz people won't recognize me even though it says Magic Santa.
lin
View Profile
Special user
California
877 Posts

Profile of lin
MagicSanta/Leonard,

Welcome!

I've enjoyed your posts, and I'd like to add that Santa doesn't HAVE to be nice:

http://scottsmind.com/games/evil-santa/
PSYSHADOW
View Profile
Regular user
England
196 Posts

Profile of PSYSHADOW
Quote:
On 2010-08-23 20:15, MagicSanta wrote:

I should say from the get go that there are clearly some here that I do not consider bizarrist but more mentalist wanna bes or guys who think bizarre means an odd name, a black outfit, and a neclace with something demonic on it...whoopie! That is cool, in the childrens forum here there are experts who I don't think have ever seen a real child. I wanted to just clear that up because while there are a lot of guys here who I know or know of who I respect there are some who clearly I won't bother with.

WOW, talk about blowing yer own trumpet !

Bet lot's here wished they were as clever as you, eh ?
Peace in the World - or - the World in Pieces
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
There are many here who are brilliant performers, there are some here who with effort shall be, and there are some here that never will....I've clue where you lie in that spectrum. Interestingly the ones at the top tend to not realize it and the ones and the bottom prefer not to believe it.

I, of course, am at the bottom....So, what type of neclace do you wear PSYSHADOW?
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Are you one of the Lords of Kobal?

I'm not sure what group I fall in, I love bizarre and have been doing it since I was a kid (before I knew the term "bizarre, before it was even applied), but I don't play dress-up, have a name other than my own, or wear fancy jewelry. Maybe that is what I'm doing wrong. Smile

On a side note, I do know many people in the "New Age" community that do dress differently, (unique in both clothing and accouterments), have adopted names that some think strange, and cast spells, perform augury, and do readings and healings. But they are not doing it as a theatrical entertainment form.

Tony
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I'm picking a bizarre name as a poke at those who believe they need it....hey, if I had a real cool name like yours I'd just use that. My real name is plain.

I am THE Lord of Kobal
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

No one can pronounce mine.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I dealt with a lot of Italian names in Boston. There is one gent I have known for 20 years, I use his first name and have no clue how to pronounce his last name. I think I can pronounce yours right.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

The name has been in the news here quite a bit over the past 2 years, another reason for me to use "I" or "Eye".
PSYSHADOW
View Profile
Regular user
England
196 Posts

Profile of PSYSHADOW
Magicsanta, I believe in the old saying "Never kick anyone on your way up the ladder, FOR YOU SURE AS *ELL WILL MEET THEM ON THE WAY BACK DOWN" !

Everyone has their story, and I'm not (like you) into degrading any performer, even the 'would-bees' and those who've never seen a 'real kid' .

Let's just say I'm very thankful that I do not have your attitude problem, nor do I wear YOUR necklace.

Each to his own.
Peace in the World - or - the World in Pieces
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
My name is Leonard, Mr. Kobal if you're nasty....

A couple things. First off there is nothing wrong with mentalist, I like mentalist and consider it an extremely difficult thing to do well. If you look at the ads people put here they are often for mentalist, pure and simple, effects. There are some here who are mentalist and not bizarrist. There are also some here who believe it is the act of wearing black, maybe put on some eye liner, and to not smile, that is not what bizarre is though you certainly can have that as your character.

So, my little island friend, if you are the only one so deeply offended by the truthful statement I made then perhaps you need to look within yourself. Remember one thing, when one is on their way down the ladder and encounters one going up it is very easy to kick 'em in the head.
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
The spooky section has never in my memory had a conflict of sniping and griping.
get along...little dogies...get along...leave the bs to the thought flingers. The Café is emptying out enough.

(please)
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Leonard, you forgot to mention that many bizarrists talk at half their normal pace, attempt to lower their vocal range by an octave, take 20 minutes to tell a four-minute story, and it's still a card trick.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Quote:
On 2010-08-25 16:57, Harley Newman wrote:
Leonard, you forgot to mention that many bizarrists talk at half their normal pace, attempt to lower their vocal range by an octave, take 20 minutes to tell a four-minute story, and it's still a card trick.

If you're old enough to remember Earl Nightingale, the motivational tape maker, you might be interested to know that they would slow Nightingales voice down about 5% to deepen and richen it. Much easier to do in the analog reel to reel with varispeed days. It made his voice sound incredible.
...Your professional woodworking and "tender" loving care in the products you make, make the wait worthwhile. Thanks for all you do...

http://Sefalaljia.com
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Can I say what a thrill it is to see Tabman here? I trust you are feeling good sir. Off subject I know you sold your studio (or planned on it) did you do that and re open another shop in Georgia? You multi talents are always amazing to me.
RCP
View Profile
Inner circle
Two Minnie's in The Hell's Half Acre, The Republic of Texas
2183 Posts

Profile of RCP
Quote:
On 2010-08-23 20:35, MagicSanta wrote:
I've come to be so hated as Magic Santa.... I may be Leonard here cuz people won't recognize me even though it says Magic Santa.

Is that what we have to look forward to here?
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Magic Santa is pulling a few chains...kind of like an excercise in 'if the show fits...get hysterical'
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
RCP
View Profile
Inner circle
Two Minnie's in The Hell's Half Acre, The Republic of Texas
2183 Posts

Profile of RCP
Welcome to the chain gang. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Leonard Kobal...the bizarrist (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL