The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Is hypnosis old hat? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
I don't know about failure Danny. I've already got so much out of this experience. The fact that people are coming back and paying more than once might suggest that I am hyper critical. The shows certainly aren't up to my best standard. But are probably as good if not better than many who do them regularly.

I didn't have to come on here and post all this. The reason I did is so that anyone thinking about this can benefit from my experience. ( yes even the speakers) This was also a test to see if I really want to get back into performing. So from that point of view its been really useful to me. Plus it has possibly opened up an old door that closed a few years back that could lead to something lucrative. Nothing to do with stage hypnosis. So I think really from my point of view it has been worth giving it ago. Even if it doesn't go where I wanted it to go initially.

However I doubt you will ever move out of your comfort zone and give something like this ago. So for you a chuckle is all you will get out of these posts. For those few that want to give it ago there are some valuable pieces of info.

Yes I think I can pat myself on the back over all for even getting this far. Very very few on here could.

As for smaller shows they are virtually non existent in Scotland. Have been for some time. The recession has meant bars and clubs closing down all over the place. And booking entertainment a thing of the past. Certainly very few hypnotists have been around for a long time. However people are flocking to theatre type shows. To me this is may be a good thing since hardly anyone have seen hypnotists here in quite a while. The majority of the younger population haven't seen one at all. Which I believe there may be an opportunity for a good theatre run.

Of course I might be wrong this was a test. However it hasn't proved it one way or another.

By the way my very first 1000 seater I had no idea what was going to happen. I had only been doing shows for a few months. I made lots of mistakes but still sold out the following week. The only difference is I had nearly 4k in the bank as comfort.

Its just the way I do things. This opportunity came up I had to take it or it would have gone. How I got in their in the first place is another story. And how I got them to pay for everything. Well I'm not going to disclose that here.

The biggest flaw in all of this was not sticking to the formula. Going at the wrong time. I knew this even the manager knew this. He sighed when the posters arrived and said later on in the year this would've sold out. He knew too that we had made a mistake going for the festival. However if I had held off they would've went cold on the idea. There are things that went on in the background you don't know about.

Do I really want to go back to performing? Only for the money. If after this I don't see it as earning good money probably not. I do have a passion for other areas of hypnosis but stage doesn't do it for me anymore. I got that out of it too.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
>>>>It is tough to imagine that in 10 years of performance on that level it never occured to you about stage speakers!<<<<

I know it does haunt me a bit.. I think that made it difficult to come back from...

I'll be glad when its over after Friday LOL.
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4176 Posts

Profile of bobser
Quote:
On 2010-08-25 10:31, mindpunisher wrote:
Yes I think I can pat myself on the back over all for even getting this far. Very very few on here could.

Y'know, I think you're even more humble since having this experience. xxx
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Quote:
On 2010-08-25 11:19, bobser wrote:
Quote:

Y'know, I think you're even more humble since having this experience. xxx

It happens to be true though... but it could be because Im totally insane to try it in the first place. I think you have to have your mad moments to do these things. Nest time I'll get a tarot reading first..
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20537 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
However I doubt you will ever move out of your comfort zone and give something like this ago. So for you a chuckle is all you will get out of these posts. For those few that want to give it ago there are some valuable pieces of info.

Wow all things ego first huh? First of all, one gets a "comfort zone" by hard work and pioneering it. NOBODY was doing ANY shows where my "comfort zone" is. So I had to move outside it at least once right? Oh naw don't let the truth get in the way here you think what you like.

Second of all, in America they are "Community Theaters" and touring them is not so tough to do. There is a whole convention in January in New York. In otherwords, we do them. OOPS. Once again those pesky little facts.

What you are doing is great. (I know you need that ego gratification.) Seriously as I said stepping in and trying it, and heck taking this show at this festival was a show of guts. NO DOUBT! I am in fact inpressed that it has gone as well as it did. I know in Chicago the "Fringe" was tough to market back in the 90's and in fact I have no idea if it still goes on.

Like I said good for you to go after it, and learn from the past. I can only imagine that going forward will garner better results because you are applying your knowlege from the past. Very smart.

Also it DOES take a certain amount of testicular fortitude to come and admit things not going quite right. I am impressed with your honesty about such things. I really am. (Yes it is mixed with ego and excuses, but you are upfront about it.) I think the forums are littered with stories of success (most of them terribly exaggerated.) and in fact where we make and learn from mistakes is a far more valuable commodity as for learning than those blown up stories. I think it helps far more when you do things like this so thank you.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20537 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I bet you are going to be shocked by Friday. I think that often a good performer is his own worst critic. (This includes you buddy.) I bet that while it may not have been up to your standards, it was quite good anyhow. Word of mouth should be pretty good.

Give em hell on Friday and knock it out of the park!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10135 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I agree with Danny as he is right on the mark about it being refreshing to hear the truths and real world experiences and thoughts of your venture. I think it's only natural to try to find reasons and excuses why it turned out the way it did.

The real truth be told, any professional entertainer has these types of experiences. We must learn to accept them as part of being a professional, and as hard as it may be to try to learn from these experiences and try to remain objective. We all have egos or we would be professional entertainers craving success in the spotlight. You can tell what Danny says, like yourself, only comes with experience. It's simply part of the business.

I wish more people could offer more honest, real world experiences like yours, rather than just success stories or inflated success stories. To me, these offer much more valuable insight, information and lessons to be learned.

I just did a five day run this past week with three full shows per day. Had great turnouts, with only two weaker shows, but it was hard work. One thing about being part of a lineup or festival is that the event gets promoted as a whole, not your show specifically as much as you'd really like or that is necessary in these economic times.

Thanks for the review and good luck with this weeks show, hopefully you will end on a high note. It would be great if you are able to do your full theater experience.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
2000+ shows in Edinburgh. There really isn't such a thing as a line up. Its more of a dung heap. Ive always known it was a bad time. I was forced into it this time and they assured me they knew how to market during the festival.

Ah well just one more...
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Humility is an over-rated quality. I always enjoy your posts here, even when I disagree violently with you. And you are one of those who is always willing to share his knowledge. I am looking forward to reading a post on Saturday describing a big crowd and a great show. Knock 'em dead.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Well here's the plan...time for some more objective thinking..

I honestly think its unlikely numbers will increase at this point. (from experience). I think if anything they will stay around the same or possibly reduce further. In which case the best thing to do is to cancel and walk away.

I did this originally as a money making exercise. That stopped being a possibility before the shows ran. I stayed on because the venue assured me they would sort it out. It never happened. I didn't want to let them down despite they let me down numerous times. The situation I am now faced with is I am most likely moving into an area where I can't win on any level. If numbers are less then at best they get a pub show. Which of course still better than a street hypnosis show!

The ticket price is for a theatre show. The venue gets a little money nothing worth going through the mill for. They owe me about 1k in expenses. Which they might withhold if refuse to do the last show.

So tommorrow I will find out the tickets sold and try and agree on an exit. A minimum number where we pull the show. I don't want people spending that amount when a proper show isn't possible. There is a line where you have to just cut your losses and I think its almost there.

I think this is also the best outcome for me to limit reputation damage. I would prefer a quiet night in to be honest. Its already time to move on. There will be no winners from this last show. And I have the most to lose. Friends of mine will turn up to support me Id rather they didn't. Just to put money in the venue's till.
dmkraig
View Profile
Inner circle
1949 Posts

Profile of dmkraig
Currently, one of the semi-final acts on America's Got Talent is a group doing a "Black Art" act. Although relatively updated using UV lights, the basic concept is described in books over 100 years old. The judges on the show, however, said it was "unlike anything " they'd seen before.

It's something very old (hat) presented in a new way so that it's exciting and fresh.

Hypnosis shows aren't old hat--it's the presentation that's old hat. Magic isn't old hat, but many of it's presenters are. Most of the popular magicians seem to comedians who do magic. A few are magicians who do comedy. At the top are magicians who do magic.

If nobody has done a major tour as you describe, it's because nobody has a modern, mind-shattering presentation.
Shane Masters
View Profile
Regular user
Columbus, OH
157 Posts

Profile of Shane Masters
Dunno punisher, I haven't done big shows like this, but, I have had some that didn't have the turn out I expected. Since there were no pre-show ticket sales, it was a crapshoot to how many would turn out. I still did them...but, differently.

I am blessed with the ability to BS my way through many things. When I walked out on stage, I noticed that a house that could have had 200 people easily, only had about 60-ish. I walked right out to my microphone and the first words out of my mouth were something like: " You guys are in for a special treat!! I wanted a smaller show so I could make it more personal to YOU! I usually charge more for personal performances, so , you guys are definately going to get your money's worth tonight! "

Total BS. I was scared fecal-less ( is that really a word? ). I went through my comedy stuff, threw in a few extra bits I was saving for another show and brought my people up on stage. Get them hypnotized and go through all my warm up stuff.

I go out into the crowd directly to someone I seen falling into a relaxed state while I was puttng my stage guests under. I knew he was primed. I gave him some patter like " .... sometimes, my voice and suggestions are so powerful, people in the crowd get hypnotized and do not know it. What if you were hypnotized? What if I stuck your hand to your forehead and you couldn't remove it. No matter how hard you try, you find it becomes impossible to remove that hand.What if?..." then I placed his hand on his head and it was stuck. I went to another person I seen dipping in and out.....do the same thing. I sit down beside another person and asked them to stare at my finger...some patter... SNAP!SLEEP!....down.

At the end of the show, I announced I was going to a local watering hole if anyone wanted to join me. A lot of them did. I didn't pay for a drink. I didn't even leave the post hypnotic suggestion they would pay for it. Those people thought I was the coolest guy that night. It was completely different than what they expected.

I guess it comes to the old adage that you can turn anything into a positive experience if you out the right twist on it. You can make this a great "personal" show to those few in attendance if you spin it right.

As far as the stage monitors go, my official opinion is this: It is up to the house sound man to make sure this is all good. No excuses. Anyone that has done ANY type of sound knows that you need a monitor....even if you are just giving a lecture on colonoscopies. If the house is that big you need a sound man, they better have monitors on stage...this helps you guage the inflection and tone in your voice. I guess you could kick youself in the butt for not checking beforehand, but, there are some things that should just be universally excepted and expected.-Shane
The Cerebral Assassin
Anthony Jacquin
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2220 Posts

Profile of Anthony Jacquin
Fair point Shane but I beg to differ.

A monitor has particular importance for a stage hypnotist. More than it does for a comedian or magician and most other performers. As a hypnotist it is vital those on stage can hear you wherever you are on that stage and the sound adds to the intensity of their experience. You can manage the levels to accentuate this. This is entirely different to a comedian or magician who most often works close up to his participant and can ensure he is understood.

Same goes for the microphone. Relying on a sound man to think that he needs a spare mic or spare battery is an oversight in my opinion. You need to check. The audience will not be blaming the soundman if it goes tits up.

Both things should be on your checklist. As should many other health and safety items that might also be taken for granted. Yes of course 99 times in a hundred their answer will be 'Of course I got it covered'. They should stil be on your checklist.

Beware the Black Swan. Or should I say Black Elephant.

Anthony
Anthony Jacquin

Reality is Plastic! The Art of Impromptu Hypnosis
Updated for 2016

Now on Kindle and Audible!
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Ant your talking through your backside. If you read my earlier posts this stage was no good to anybody withot a monitor. Ant I would love to k now how many real stage hypnosis shows you have done? Since it was only a few months back you were on here asking for basic help/info on how to give suggestions properly. And your RIP dvd that comes withthe bookmakes it clear at that point you dd't know how to manage the hypnotic state properly.

I have done bigger venues with no monitors and the shows were perfect. In fact I did a venue with nealy 1000 seats for nearly three years with no monitor and had not one hitch.

Shane I would prefer to cancel the last show if I could. Because Idon't care if anybody thinks I am cool or not. This is a business. The product on offer was a theatre experience. Now that's not possible. I can't make any money out of it. At best I can do a club style show. At worse I have to cancel on the night.

I appreciate everything you said. But you have to remember Ive been through all that and much more. This is just a business to me. I have a product I exchange for money. If I can't deliver that product then I don't want to be there. I should've took the advice from Equity and walked away when they started to mess with the dates and marketing. But I stayed knowing I wouldn't make money but to help them minimise their losses. Now at the very last step they would have me walk on knowing I could do nothing to get a few sales at the bar. Another lesson I have learned here in business. There are no friends in business. Look after yourself.

Be a c£%&* It seems those that get on are.

I noticed they had two big stars one due to play on the same night as the opening but earlier. And another a few days later. They both rescheduled for later in the year because their ticket sales were low. (festival again) They obviously have good agents working for them. I was not offered that. Instead they would put me in a vulnerable position to make a few bob. The only reason I have not cancelled is because they owe me expenses. Again my fault I should've made sure they had paid them before the start of the shows. These are real hard lessons I've learned.

Business is business - friends are not in the equation. But then that has always been one of my weaknesses.
Anthony Jacquin
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2220 Posts

Well all I can say is in my stage hypnosis training it was made clear that checking sound spec, including a monitor on stage was my responsibility. But then Jon Chase is pretty thorough.

All I hear from you about your recent debacle is you blaming everyone around you. Take some responsibility.

Anthony
Anthony Jacquin

Updated for 2016

mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Your such a w%NKer Ant. I think you should stick to playing at it in the street. I think you've found your level.

And even with that problem I got by the show wasn't that bad.

Your training was that great that you had to come on here to get very basic info on giving suggestions?

Gee....
Anthony Jacquin
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2220 Posts

Your show was pulled halfway through because of a lack of dilligence on your part - how is that getting by?

Good luck tonight.

Mic. Check. Monitor. Check. Hypnotist looking for the back door. Check

Ant
Anthony Jacquin

Updated for 2016

Shane Masters
View Profile
Regular user
Columbus, OH
157 Posts

Profile of Shane Masters
Ouch!! You guys or getting a little bit sour here. It seems this forum is following that trend.

Ant, I understand about you doing the checking ...and double checking. In the end you can always pull the blame back to yourself if you want. However, in my limited experience in the field, but, with plenty experience in playing live music and running sound, this just should have been done without question.

Punisher, I didn't do this to make people think I was cool and to get free drinks. I did it for damage control. I could have easily cancelled and walked off, but, those people probably would have spread the word. Unfortunately, I am not in your position where many people know my name and I can pull this off. I have to do what I can to get myself established to move up and on.

I look up to you and your posts, I really do, but, here lately, you have been pretty brash with some of the other members here. Are you okay? You want to go into a private chat and talk about it? Seriously....not trying to be funny.-Shane
The Cerebral Assassin
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Being "brash" is just speaking my mind. And usually the truth. Someone has to point it out. Privately a few of the more experienced members on here agree with me. They just don't post it.

Shane the tone of the posts on here are not the same as a conversation. And may come across more brash than they would over a pint in a bar. Yeah damage limitation is always a good thing. I agree with you I honestly I do. But its not always the same actions that limit the damage. I didn't say you did it to be a cool guy. I never meant that in the slightest. If you got that impression I am sorry.

These posts are for your benefit make use of them how you will. Learn from my experiences and mistakes that's why I put them up here. (Danny was the only one to actually thank me and sorry also Tony) There is a lot of value in these posts for anyone who may want to try this. that's why I put them up. I would've appreciated them had they been put up by someone else. And Im not trying to sell you a dodgy dvd set they are there for genuine reasons.

And my last thoughts on no friends in business? These are my true thoughts. Again make of them what you will(you don't have to agree). I will certainly try to be more "selfish" and look after my own interests in the future not just with stage work but in every area. I find this a reoccuring theme in business when you really look out for the other party and the favour is never returned.

The show tonight will most likely go ahead it may even be great. However you define that. I just want to move on from this.

On the positives this has re opened a door that closed a few years ago. That if it works out IS something I would love to do and may even be lucrative. But I would absolutely love to do it. Its related to hypnosis but nothing to do with stage. Im sure once the dust has settled and I look back I will see so many benefits from having done this. Im just bit battle weary at the moment.

This is my final post on this. I am taking a break from here...
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10135 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Well, at least let us know how the last show goes before you do.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Is hypnosis old hat? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL