We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Mandatory JROTC? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5044 Posts

Profile of landmark
What are they putting in the drinking water in South Carolina? At first I thought this was about some private and/or charter school which would make it understandable. But this is an ordinary public school effectively mandating this for 14 year olds.

One freshman's parent, Charles Holloway, says ROTC just showed up on his son's schedule. Holloway says when his son asked to be excused, he was placed in a class by himself.

Though parents may "opt out," clearly there is a social price to be paid.

Read more: here.

Welcome to Sparta.

Yes I know, there'll be all those replies that a little military training will do those wild kids good.

You know what, that's largely a myth--take a wild kid with authority problems, give him a gun and severe discipline, send him to a combat zone where he sees all kinds of weird ****, and you end up with a messed-up human being almost every time.

But it's always easier to treat a problem with the easy mechanistic solution, than the human one.
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
2920 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Quote:
On 2010-08-25 10:18, landmark wrote:
You know what, that's largely a myth--take a wild kid with authority problems, give him a gun and severe discipline, send him to a combat zone where he sees all kinds of weird s**t, and you end up with a messed-up human being almost every time.

That's so true and yet so sad. The part that really bugs me, having been in the military, is the fact that what the military can really teach you (such as confidence, leadership, getting your act together, getting along with others, respect for others, working as a team, and so forth) is so often pushed to the back in the common perception, in favor of the yelling, running, shooting, fragging, and other stuff that we see in the movies and the media.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1197 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2010-08-25 10:18, landmark wrote:
What are they putting in the drinking water in South Carolina? At first I thought this was about some private and/or charter school which would make it understandable. But this is an ordinary public school effectively mandating this for 14 year olds.

One freshman's parent, Charles Holloway, says ROTC just showed up on his son's schedule. Holloway says when his son asked to be excused, he was placed in a class by himself.

Though parents may "opt out," clearly there is a social price to be paid.

Read more: here.

Welcome to Sparta.

Yes I know, there'll be all those replies that a little military training will do those wild kids good.

You know what, that's largely a myth--take a wild kid with authority problems, give him a gun and severe discipline, send him to a combat zone where he sees all kinds of weird s**t, and you end up with a messed-up human being almost every time.

But it's always easier to treat a problem with the easy mechanistic solution, than the human one.

I'm with you on this one. Seems entirely out-of-place at a public school.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Douglas Lippert
View Profile
Inner circle
E Pluribus Unum
2341 Posts

Profile of Douglas Lippert
"South Carolina high school students must take one credit of physical education and ROTC can fill the requirement."

It does not say they have to take JROTC. The kid picked gym and everyone else picked JROTC. Simple as that.
Douglas Lippert
Former I.B.M. Ring #8 Secretary
http://www.facebook.com/Doug.Lippert
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
You and your silly facts....dang you!
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5044 Posts

Profile of landmark
From the article:

"One freshman's parent, Charles Holloway, says ROTC just showed up on his son's schedule. Holloway says when his son asked to be excused, he was placed in a class by himself."
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I would think the situation is more so that young Charles didn't sign up for PE so the system assigned a class to him. My highschool was the same way, either you signed up or they just put you into a class.
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2010-08-25 20:24, landmark wrote:
From the article:

"One freshman's parent, Charles Holloway, says ROTC just showed up on his son's schedule. Holloway says when his son asked to be excused, he was placed in a class by himself."

He obviously had the choice of taking the ROTC course which fulfilled the PE course but chose not to take so they put him in a PE class by himself. What is the problem here? And to be honest it was probably his parents that do not want him in the ROTC class, not himself as everyone else is fine with it. Seems like the school is going out of their way to appease him and his parents.

Bring back the draft.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1197 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2010-08-26 00:05, acesover wrote:
Quote:
From the article:

He obviously had the choice of taking the ROTC course which fulfilled the PE course but chose not to take so they put him in a PE class by himself. What is the problem here? And to be honest it was probably his parents that do not want him in the ROTC class, not himself as everyone else is fine with it. Seems like the school is going out of their way to appease him and his parents.

Bring back the draft.

I don't think a public school freshman's only P.E. options should be military training, or a 1-person class.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
Quote:
From the article:

He obviously had the choice of taking the ROTC course which fulfilled the PE course but chose not to take so they put him in a PE class by himself.

Actually, no, he did not.

A little more about it here:

http://www.gtowntimes.com/search/Princip......17-48-57

The facts appear to be a little different from what I think some here have assumed.

In particular, it appears that there was no choice in the matter. PE was simply replaced with junior ROTC for everyone. It was only when the father complained and spoke to the State Board of Education, that the principal's decision to eliminate PE was challenged.

In fact, the son is not even in PE now. It is a "Career Skills" class.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I don't believe any of 'em. Teens are self serving little liars and their parents believe them and enforce whatever they decide is truth. I could not care less about this little whiney rat #@$@#@ kid or his parents. Put him in drama.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On 2010-08-26 00:33, MagicSanta wrote:
I don't believe any of 'em. Teens are self serving little liars and their parents believe them and enforce whatever they decide is truth. I could not care less about this little whiney rat #@$@#@ kid or his parents. Put him in drama.

Comical but important. Kids and parents can say pretty much anything about school, but school officials are severely restricted in what they can say about kids and parents.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2010-08-26 00:18, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
From the article:

Bring back the draft.

I don't think a public school freshman's only P.E. options should be military training, or a 1-person class.

Do we actually know what this class consists of? Seems to me that most of the kids want to take this class except this one and that is why he is in a class by himself. If another class was not offered the same people here would be complaining that he had no choice. So now he has a choice and they are still complaining. Go figure.

Your mentioning that you do not think a freshmans class should not be only PE or a one personclass. Well he made it a one person class as no one else elected to take it. They actually gave the Freshman a choice of a requireed credit which is PE and he chose not to take the popular one. So are you saying that we should force some of the others that chose the ROTC class to take the standard PE class to make him feel accepted. I can see the trama he is going to have. Better call in the experts and analize him for how this will affect him in future years. The school is doing him a big disservice by giving him a choice. What is wrong with this picture? If you cannot figure it out you are definitely part of the problem.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Around here the kids get to shoot at PE! In the bay area we were not even allowed to spell the word 'gun'.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Acesover, did you miss my post above? Until he complained, he DID NOT have a choice. PE was simply eliminated at the school. Furthermore, he is not in PE now. He is in "Career Skills".
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Career skills are good to have.
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
In fact, the son is not even in PE now. It is a "Career Skills" class.

What the heck is a career Skills class? Does he take basket weaviing and home ec instead of PE? Like someone said here..let him take Drama instead of PE. They should have just called it PE instead of even mentioning ROTC.

Does anyone know what this ROTC class entails" Or are we just assuming? Climbing up a rope or scalinig a wall is still PE but I guess it could also be called ROTC training... not sure eigher of these are in the program just pointing it out. Running is definitely military training but it is also military training. All thesse things increase endurance and stamina...much more that sitting in front of your computer or texting. However perhaps the computer and texting are what is now called "Career skill classes" of course this is just supposition on my part, but I would not be the least bit surprised if it were so.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2010-08-26 01:03, acesover wrote:

Does anyone know what this ROTC class entails"

Here. Knock yourself out. Smile

https://www.usarmyjrotc.com/
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1197 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2010-08-26 00:46, acesover wrote:
What is wrong with this picture? If you cannot figure it out you are definitely part of the problem.

Thanks for illustrating one of my favorite rhetorical tricks: "If you don't agree with my position, you must not understand it."

MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I remember we had a PE teacher who just returned from Vietnam, he was a Marine. It took them a bit more than a week to realize he was, uh, very mentally strained and torturing us basically. I hope he got better....
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Mandatory JROTC? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL