The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Two moons? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
TomKMagic
View Profile
Special user
I tripped over
620 Posts

Profile of TomKMagic
Quote:
Do you have a pair of binoculars? If your hands are steady, you should be able to see up to 4 of Jupiter's moons.

John

From in Ohio, where I am, to the right of the Moon is not Mars, but actually Jupiter.

I just checked through my binoculars, and I saw Jupiter, and 3 of the 4 moons that should easily be visible: Callisto, Io, and Ganymede, but Europa was too close to Jupiter for me to see it. However, it was really cool to see them. I need to buy a telescope someday!!
You must be smarter than the tools you are using...

Tom Kracker
My website
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On 2010-08-28 00:51, TomKMagic wrote:
Quote:
Do you have a pair of binoculars? If your hands are steady, you should be able to see up to 4 of Jupiter's moons.

John

From in Ohio, where I am, to the right of the Moon is not Mars, but actually Jupiter.

I just checked through my binoculars, and I saw Jupiter, and 3 of the 4 moons that should easily be visible: Callisto, Io, and Ganymede, but Europa was too close to Jupiter for me to see it. However, it was really cool to see them. I need to buy a telescope someday!!

Fantastic! You made my morning!

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
TomKMagic
View Profile
Special user
I tripped over
620 Posts

Profile of TomKMagic
Last night after the first viewing, I actually had checked online to verify the position of each moon, and saw that Europa was very close to Jupiter (from my angle), but I went out and checked again, and I could just barely make out the position of it.

My binocs are "Tasco 7x-15x35 zoom binocular", so they are not very powerful or optically capable, but still good enough to just barely see the moons.

I did try to hold my digital camera up to the binoculars and take a picture of Earth's moon, and while the detail from live viewing was really nice, the images were blurry, because the long exposure time and some of the setup was hand held (not ideal).

Also, for those with a decent computer, this is a really cool program that allows you to check out the night sky: http://www.stellarium.org/ You can zoom in and out and pan, tilt, etc... Many features are available.
You must be smarter than the tools you are using...

Tom Kracker
My website
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Two moons? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL