The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Beloit College Mindset List for the Class of 2014 (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Earlier this month, the famous Beloit College Mindset List for the Class of 2014 was released. Get ready to feel old...

The Beloit College Mindset List for the Class of 2014 (Excerpts)

Quote:
Most students entering college for the first time this fall—the Class of 2014—were born in 1992.

For these students, Benny Hill, Sam Kinison, Sam Walton, Bert Parks and Tony Perkins have always been dead.

1. Few in the class know how to write in cursive.

2. Email is just too slow, and they seldom if ever use snail mail.

3. “Go West, Young College Grad” has always implied “and don’t stop until you get to Asia…and learn Chinese along the way.”

10. A quarter of the class has at least one immigrant parent, and the immigration debate is not a big priority…unless it involves “real” aliens from another planet.

19. They never twisted the coiled handset wire aimlessly around their wrists while chatting on the phone.

46. Nirvana is on the classic oldies station.

Go to the link above to see the full list.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
At a party a friend of mine, who is very much into retro-design style, recently hosted -a young (early 20's?) guest asked if he could use the phone. My friend pointed to the elegant Bakelite-moulded rotary phone hanging on the wall.

The kid picked up the handset and stared at the phone for at least five seconds, uncomprehendingly. Then he wiggled the little metal swingbar and paused again before finally figuring out how the machine functioned -all by himself!

It was one of the most eye opening displays I'd ever encountered.
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Nosher
View Profile
Loyal user
261 Posts

Profile of Nosher

Ouch.
Escapemaster-in-chief from all sorts of houdingplaces - Finnegans Wake
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
Quote:
On 2010-08-29 00:00, Nosher wrote:

Ouch.

Not the classic station I listen to.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
They don't teach cursive? Why?
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2010-08-29 01:17, MagicSanta wrote:
They don't teach cursive? Why?

I think the "mindset" list is premature on this one.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/education/2......ng_N.htm

EXCERPT:

Cursive is still widely taught in U.S. public and private elementary schools, according to a 2007 nationwide study on handwriting instruction by Vanderbilt University. It surveyed a random sampling of about 200 teachers in grades one through three in all 50 states.

Ninety percent of the teachers who responded said their schools required instruction in handwriting, the study found. Of those who taught it, half of second grade teachers and 90% of third grade teachers offered instruction in cursive.

Furthermore, the teachers said they spent about 60 minutes a week, or 15 minutes a day, on teaching cursive — the amount recommended by handwriting experts, said Steve Graham, an education professor at Vanderbilt who was the study's lead author.

"It flies in the face of the viewpoint that (cursive) is not being taught," Graham said.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Beloit College Mindset List for the Class of 2014 (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL