The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Should magicians boycott AGT? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Quote:
On 2010-08-29 00:06, nucinud wrote:
I turned AGT a bunch of times. They have called me and asked me to come down every time they have been in New York. No waiting on line - just show up.

Yeah, I know acts they have done that for. It's all a sham.

But that's TV. It's not a talent show ... it's just a SHOW!
Futureal
View Profile
Inner circle
1695 Posts

Profile of Futureal
Quote:
On 2010-08-28 23:20, DoveDaddy wrote:
As Josef Stalin once famously quipped “It’s not who votes that counts, it’s who counts the votes.” AGT not only counts the votes, they also control every aspect of every act on the show. AGT controls and directs act choice, music selection, staging, lighting, camera angles, and scripting of the judge’s comments. AGT focuses on one aspect of each performer and creates a story-line around them in order to build viewer interest and drama for the show. As a result, each act then becomes pigeon holed within the AGT story-line. For example, AGT rejected the dove act of “anti-conjuror” Dan Sperry and instead only allowed him to perform tricks with “shock” value. And from “pyromaniac” Antonio Restivo, AGT only wanted fire, more fire and nothing but fire. As for Murray, AGT wants Big, Bigger, Biggest; thus his need to borrow illusions (so next week get ready for Bigger). AGT overtly hypes their favorite acts and throws the others under the Piers Morgan bus. It’s all about programming to increase AGT viewership. After all it is the number one watched summer TV show; and ratings bring in advertising dollars, which is why they call it entertainment business. Ever notice how many 30 second commercials there are between each act. Besides the TV show there is the AGT live tour starting October 1st, which will play in 25 different cities. Only the top ten finalists will perform on this tour so it was predictable that Dan, Antonio and even the non-magic act “ArcAttack” would not move into the finals as their acts were just not conducive for the tour. Dan for example is booked for the entire month of October at Fright Dome in Las Vegas and thus unavailable; and as for Antonio, I seriously doubt that AGT wanted the challenge and expense of obtaining “fire” permits in 25 different cities across the US. So why are there four vocal acts in the finals so far? Well, two reasons, money and audience demographics. AGT is merely the little brother summer fill-in for American Idol, which itself is the nation’s number one TV show. Besides, singing acts are more highly valued than variety acts and are given four times more remuneration than variety acts under the terms of the AGT management option contract. Why? Well, the simple truth is that there is much greater profit and public demand for audio recordings of singers than video recordings of variety acts. This issue of magicians versus singers is discussed elsewhere on the Café here: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......um=62&12
As a popular entertainment art form, magic is probably at the bottom of the general public’s list. Beyond the members here at the Café, the general public just doesn’t have much interest in magic so why would they vote for a magician on AGT? Even David Copperfield can only fill theaters with several hundred magic fans, while any Suzie singer or Boy band can fill arenas and stadiums with thousands of adoring music fans. Why? This topic is discussed elsewhere on the Café here: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......m=27&219
So are magicians delusional to think they can win or even compete on AGT? If you were fortunate enough to earn a spot in the AGT semi-finals or perhaps even the finals, do you have two signature acts in your bag of tricks that are new and different and can be performed in 90 seconds without getting buzzed or dissed by Piers? Is it even worth trying? It doesn’t seem to have hurt Kevin James or Nathan Burton’s magic careers. It would be nice to hear the viewpoint of this year’s AGT magicians, but with the confidentiality clauses in their AGT contracts I doubt we ever will. So all things considered, my question is Should magicians boycott AGT?

I see you've already boycotted paragraphs.
Douglas Lippert
View Profile
Inner circle
E Pluribus Unum
2343 Posts

Profile of Douglas Lippert
I boycott this thread.
Douglas Lippert
Former I.B.M. Ring #8 Secretary
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2734 Posts

Profile of RS1963
AGT isn't anything important nor will it ever be so where is the worth in trying to start a boycott of it? There isn't even a speck of worth in starting one. AGT isn't a cause it's not going to do any damage to anyone. Granted it shows that a good many people don't have any talent but that's not a bad thing to show to people that think they have talent when they don't.

It's not worth starting a boycott over. Therefore I move that we boycott O.P idea.
cairo
View Profile
Elite user
406 Posts

Profile of cairo
This post was a way of dealing with the frustration of being cut from the show. If Sperry made it to the finals instead of a boycott he would be soliciting votes.
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2734 Posts

Profile of RS1963
[quoteMa]
On 2010-09-05 03:19, cairo wrote:
This post was a way of dealing with the frustration of being cut from the show. If Sperry made it to the finals instead of a boycott he would be soliciting votes.
[/quote]

That maybe but A.G.T. is still a show that really means nothing if it vanished tomorrow no one would care or loose any sleep over it that's for sure. Excluding the people that were paid crew members etc.. The rest of the world wouldn't even give a mountain's worth of fake dog feces.

It's not an important show never has been never will be.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Should magicians boycott AGT? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL