The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » New to Skateboarding (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

tehmagic1
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of tehmagic1
Just decided I wanted to learn how to skate, I'm looking to buy a good quality skateboard just to start off. Any suggestions? Should I get a complete or build it? I've heard element was very good and I'm looking to spend about $100.

Thanks,
Tehmagic1
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Do you have any idea what the median age of this group is?

:rotf:

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11159 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Spend most of it on a helmet.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3245 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Buy a cheap board and spend the majority of your money on better wheels. You're gonna put a bunch of stickers on it and screw up the graphics doing rail slides, anyhow...

Also, seriously, buy a helmet. Preferably one that will protect your face, too.
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6074 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
My first Skateboard was a 2X4 with a metal rollerskate wheels separated and nailed to the bottom. Then I got a store bought with metal wheels and FINALLY I got some of those HI TECH clay wheels and made a laminated deck in Wood Shop!

Anyone remember what happened when you hit even the tiniest pebble with those metal or clay wheels?!?!?!? ROAD RASH BABYYYYYYYYYY!
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I don't know what wheels they have now (my first board had steel wheels and if they split....good times) but I see kids skating on roads that are rough with gravel and they are just ripping over it. I remember when they came out with those new types of wheels in the 70s and guys were thrashing, I never had the ability but I sure watched with amazement.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
On 2010-08-29 13:22, MickeyPainless wrote:
My first Skateboard was a 2X4 with a metal rollerskate wheels separated and nailed to the bottom. Then I got a store bought with metal wheels and FINALLY I got some of those HI TECH clay wheels and made a laminated deck in Wood Shop!

Anyone remember what happened when you hit even the tiniest pebble with those metal or clay wheels?!?!?!? ROAD RASH BABYYYYYYYYYY!

My first "skateboard" was a rollerskate with the shoe ripped off.
The first thing I ever bought with my own money was a crappy K-Mart skateboard that I put on layaway and put 5 dollars a month on for three months!
When I was in high school I traded a labcoat I had for a really nice one.
I actually liked freestyle bikes better though.
I almost bought a longboard last summer but then I remembered what I look like and decided to go back to bed.
I would just google skateboard reviews and see which ones have the features that sound good to you. Or go to a reputable skate shop and ask for advice.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Our big thing other than roller skating when I was a kid (I don't think I saw a skate board other than on cartoons until the 70s) we would take our old skates and nail them to a piece of 2x4. In the front we would put another 2x4 vertical and then handles, or a peach crate, and make a scooter like those razors they have around today only crappy. Steel Wheels baby!
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3245 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2010-08-30 17:09, critter wrote:
I almost bought a longboard last summer but then I remembered what I look like and decided to go back to bed.

I wish all the 30 something balding hipsters in my ghetto 'hood would acquire a similar sense of perspective!

I see far too many old geezers riding around on skateboards.
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
30 is a geezer? ***.

I've seen guys in their 50's in SF wearing the sideways hats and baggy cloths, cracked me up.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3245 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2010-08-30 17:44, MagicSanta wrote:
30 is a geezer? ***.

I've seen guys in their 50's in SF wearing the sideways hats and baggy cloths, cracked me up.
Yeah, I was being generous. Some boys never grow up if given the opportunity to not do so...
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2720 Posts

Profile of RS1963
When I was working in S.F. five years ago I noticed quite a few older males riding skateboards. I did find it odd but also took into consideration that it was S.F. and just about anything could be seen there.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
You should try seeing Bob Dylan in Berkeley, I saw people who had not been outside of their houses since the mid 60s.
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2720 Posts

Profile of RS1963
Quote:
On 2010-08-30 19:14, MagicSanta wrote:
You should try seeing Bob Dylan in Berkeley, I saw people who had not been outside of their houses since the mid 60s.

Lmao I don't doubt that.
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
who wants four fried chickens and a coke
1875 Posts

Profile of kcg5
Go easy on SF
Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!!!!!

"History will be kind to me, as I intend to write it"- Sir Winston Churchill
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » New to Skateboarding (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL