The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » X-Ray by B Harris and S Shufton - Review ! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Mad_Lewis
View Profile
Loyal user
France
300 Posts

Profile of Mad_Lewis
Hello everyone,

Here is my review of X-Ray by B Harris and S Shufton. I hope some others will post their reviews too so because I think a review is very personal.

Link :
http://www.lybrary.com/xray-p-81608.html

I was caught by surprise yesterday night when I saw an email from lybrary.com saying that Xray was released. I wasn't waiting for it since the release date was the 10th september. A nice surprise since I was really excited about this book.

THE EFFECT :
“The performer removes a deck from the case and gives it a complete shuffle. He thumbs through the deck to demonstrate that all the cards are different, and that the deck is complete. Placing the deck on the table, he informs the spectator that he will leave the room. While the performer is gone, the spectator is asked to reverse any card, at any position, in the deck. The spectator is then to take the deck, put it in the case, seal it, and to then signal the performer to return.
“The mentalist now explains that he has developed an uncanny ability—almost a type of
X-Ray vision. Without ever touching the case, he focuses an intense gaze upon the
boxed deck. Much to the astonishment of the onlookers, he now reveals the name of the
inverted card!
“But now things get even more mysterious. He again focuses his gaze upon the box, and
finally calls out a number. Again, he never touches the box. The spectator is instructed to take the cards out of the box and to deal the cards, one at a time, onto the table. He does so, counting the cards out loud, as he progresses through the deck. Tension builds as the spectator nears the called number. When the number is reached, the reversed card is
found!”
Not only has the performer accurately named the secretly reversed card, but he has also declared the EXACT position of the card in the deck!
In addition, I related my ideal performance/method parameters.
“All can be examined—the deck is found to be normal in every way
Once in the spectator's possession, the performer never touches the deck again
The deck is complete with 52 different cards—no duplicates
Any deck can be used, the effect can even be performed with a borrowed deck
No stooges, confederates, peeks, electronics or mirrors
No gaffs or gimmicks
No prepared box—the deck and box are REAL
Can be done one on one, or for a group of any size.”

This is the effect as described in the book. I was really intrigued after reading this since even the description on lybrary.com is not this restrictive. So why would they put it only in the book ? I really don't know. But believe me this is a very accurate description of what happens. You have to wait until page 14 to enter the explanations which is cruel... I was reading faster and faster ! Smile

The method uses a commonly known magic technique but a lot of informations are gathered around it. I learned a lot about it, I think I already knew 30% of what has been told. Anyway, this alone is very valuable. Those who don't like this technique usually may use it here because it is perfect for this effect and it actually works. Great names are mentioned all along, such as Max Maven, Dai Vernon, Al Koran,... Their work helped putting the solutions provided. There are two solutions. One is a completely impromptu version that cn even be done with a borrowed deck, with a few conditions of course. This impromptu version is harder to pull off but still doable, it depends on your skills a lot so it is not for everybody.

At the end, some great tips/ideas from Richard Busch are described, they are all very good in my opinion. Everything is very well thought throughout the book. If things go wrong, there are nice outs, even if they are classic ones. Finally, I think it is important to say that for the reveal you don't go "bang on" the card but you are really accurate all the time and to the spectators it will be as powerful as if you were just naming the selection - I really mean it.

I do believe that you can change the patter easily rather than using the "x-ray" idea. I still don't know which one I will use. This trick can be combined with many others depending on what effect you can create. It can be seen as a way to do a very fair selection of a card for example, and of course the patter must be changed in this case. (this last idea is from me, it is not in the book so don't look for it).

I was afraid about this purchase at first after the controversy on Silent Running. But I really believe this one is a winner, something performers will use and one of my best purchases, really worth it's price. I thank Ben and Steve to have released this ! Highly recommended. Overall rating : 9/10.

Best wishes,
Louis.
DrTodd
View Profile
Inner circle
1976 Posts

Profile of DrTodd
This really is a very clever combination of principles that achieve a powerful effect...I have been walking around all day smiling to myself.

Steve and Ben have done a slap up job here!

Cheers

Dr T
Bill Lhotta
View Profile
Veteran user
on top of a 14000' mountain in Colorado
357 Posts

Profile of Bill Lhotta
Two thumbtips up for Steve and Benny's latest creation!

I really like Richard Busch's spin on altering the final revelation so make sure you take a look at that at the end of the book.

Cheers!

** Bill **
Shufton
View Profile
Veteran user
California
316 Posts

Profile of Shufton
Hi Louis, Dr. Todd and Bill-

Thanks so much for the reviews and comments!

Enjoy-

Steve
Fobulous, Emergency Cash, 3D Paradox, PS-I Love You, X-Ray, The Portal, Ultimate Floating Match, Miracle Premonition... and more!
http://www.shufton.com
rjs
View Profile
Loyal user
296 Posts

Profile of rjs
I would recommend buying this trick.
Ted Lesley has an interesting section in Paramiracles (1994) where he discusses the method involved.
However, this new trick takes it a step further by combining it with a second classic mental routine.
The end result is amazing and completely baffling.
Well done for thinking this through!
dscanning
View Profile
Loyal user
226 Posts

Profile of dscanning
I'm afraid I'm gonna have to see a video demo this time
Shufton
View Profile
Veteran user
California
316 Posts

Profile of Shufton
Some very nice reviews to be found here:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......=218&165

Thanks to all for such positive feedback!

-Steve
Fobulous, Emergency Cash, 3D Paradox, PS-I Love You, X-Ray, The Portal, Ultimate Floating Match, Miracle Premonition... and more!
Mad_Lewis
View Profile
Loyal user
France
300 Posts

Profile of Mad_Lewis
Quote:
On 2010-09-03 00:49, dscanning wrote:
I'm afraid I'm gonna have to see a video demo this time

You would not find anything more than what is described in the first post of this topic, believe me, this is exactly what happens. The whole job is done by the spectator and you never touch anything. There is some mental job involved but so easy you'll want to laugh during performance.

I performed it again two days ago to a magician friend, he was floored. This is a reputation maker, thanks again Ben and Steve !
Ben Harris
View Profile
V.I.P.
The Land Down Under
2126 Posts

Profile of Ben Harris
Hey TAB,

Glad you are enjoying XRAY!

Benny
+Inventor of the world famous Floating Match+
+Author: Machinations (Vanishing Inc, 2020)+
EVERYTHING BEN HARRIS
Gregory57
View Profile
Loyal user
246 Posts

Profile of Gregory57
I received XRAY the first day it was released and must say it's fantastic. Also, as others have already mentioned, the description is EXACTLY correct. It's simply as clean and direct as described. I've used one aspect that is used in this effect for many years and can say, at least for me, it's as close to 100% as you can get. I must also mention that the included presentational variation by Richard Busch is very nice.
Cliff Gregory Wollin
Mad_Lewis
View Profile
Loyal user
France
300 Posts

Profile of Mad_Lewis
After all the time spent on the café it feels so great to finally find a product which makes everyone happy =) there are not so many.
merlin5150 II
View Profile
Elite user
Aurora, IL
414 Posts

Profile of merlin5150 II
I agree...this is a nice effect.

Jeff
Einmaliger
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
199 Posts

Profile of Einmaliger
Quote:
On 2010-09-06 12:49, The.Amazing.Boy wrote:
After all the time spent on the café it feels so great to finally find a product which makes everyone happy =) there are not so many.

That may be so, but I'm afraid that most of the people who were disappointed by previous over-hyped releases won't even buy this one, so they are not even able to critizice it.
Ben Harris
View Profile
V.I.P.
The Land Down Under
2126 Posts

Profile of Ben Harris
Einmaliger said: "That may be so, but I'm afraid that most of the people who were disappointed by previous over-hyped releases won't even buy this one, so they are not even able to critizice it."

No worries, Einmaliger. Folk here are interested in the opinion of those who HAVE bought it. In most cases, these are happy owners of the VERY SAME "over-hyped" releases you infer! It's a funny world.

All is good. Have a great day.

Benny

PS: TOMORROW is the cut-off date for XRAY PRE-ORDERS at $16.95. The price rises to $20.00 on the 10th!
So hit http://www.wowbound.com or http://www.lybrary.com to order.
EVERYTHING BEN HARRIS
John Palazzo
View Profile
Regular user
Boston
136 Posts

Profile of John Palazzo
Ben - thanks for the reminder.

Was wondering though...

IF tomorrow is the cut-off date for XRAY PRE-ORDERS at $16.95 and tomorrow is the 8th, and the price rises to $20.00 on the 10th...

What's the price on the 9th? Smile

Note: This is NOT a Math SAT question. Though it does remind me of them. Smile
PM me if you want to chat sometime.
Shufton
View Profile
Veteran user
California
316 Posts

Profile of Shufton
Benny lives in Australia! Today is tomorrow. Maybe we can work it out for those of us up over...

-S.
John Palazzo
View Profile
Regular user
Boston
136 Posts

Profile of John Palazzo
Thanks Steve.

I was starting to wonder if Benny was from another world - ah'em - I mean hemisphere.

-J
PM me if you want to chat sometime.
Ben Harris
View Profile
V.I.P.
The Land Down Under
2126 Posts

Profile of Ben Harris
Hi John,

It's funny! I have to work in both "yesterday" and "tomorrow" time zones simultaneously. LOL. This is fine by me because I'm never sure if I'm coming or going, anyway. LOL.

Benny
EVERYTHING BEN HARRIS
Ben Harris
View Profile
V.I.P.
The Land Down Under
2126 Posts

Profile of Ben Harris
Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the wonderful comments. Steve and I are thrilled to announce that the beautifully printed "REAL BOOK" version is available from all fine dealers as of SEPTEMBER 20. That's next Monday! (In ALL time zones! lol).

The book is beautifully printed and saddle stitched with a glossy and classy cover. Well worth adding to your PHYSICAL book shelf.

Cheers

Benny & Stevo
EVERYTHING BEN HARRIS
Shufton
View Profile
Veteran user
California
316 Posts

Profile of Shufton
I just got the books delivered, and I must say they are absolutely beautiful. The art, design, typeset - it's all just great. I'm very proud of this edition and send thanks to all the folks who made this happen in such a wonderful way. It should be at all the dealers now.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » X-Ray by B Harris and S Shufton - Review ! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL