The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Up in smoke! » » Burning Hands » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Brent Allan
View Profile
Elite user
Chicago
415 Posts

Profile of Brent Allan
I have a very roughly formed idea in my mind, but I have no idea how to do it, or if it is even possible to do safely.

Essentially, the idea is to set my hand a blaze and keep it burning for 30 seconds or so, then extinguish it.

I should mention the difficult part of the effect is, I do not want to burn my hand!!

I had heard of gels that one can cover their hand with that will protect them from the fire. Are they safe? Do they actually exist?

Any practical input would be appreciated.

Smile
Turn your business card into a relentless salesperson that brings you business!

http://www.TransformYourBusinesscard.com
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3176 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
Thirty seconds is a pretty long time to maintain fire. Even with a fickle fire, or Omega Fire gimmick as I used in my avatar, gets pretty hot after about 15 seconds. And in those cases, the heat is dissipated before it gets to your hands.

And as far as having a big flame, you can see the size of the flames in my avatar, and I have had people ask me to do the flames again, you know - the one where the flames in your hands are a foot high Smile

My personal view of fire, is "FIRE!" and then it is gone. The impact of the fire is in the surprise appearance of real fire, and that is enough. Duration of the flame is really not that important.

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
Brent Allan
View Profile
Elite user
Chicago
415 Posts

Profile of Brent Allan
I agree with many of your views, and appreciate your input. However, I should indicate the rest of my idea.

I want to use it in a mentalism context. The whole "mind over matter" thing, whereas I keep the flames from bruning my hand using the power of the mind. Granted, the presentation is much more complex than that, but that is it in a nutshell.

Fickle fire will not work. I am not looking to create fire in my hand. I want to use my hand like a torch!

Any other input?

Slim Price
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 - 2006
1326 Posts

Profile of Slim Price
First, gels still burn at 800 degrees F. There is no product that will let you burn safely in the manner you want. (50 years experience) I used to open my act by dipping a gloved finger into a flammable solution and using it like a torch. Duh! Then I would take the glove off, and do the same thing bare-fingered, for as long as it took to light my torches and then put out the finger in my mouth, but this only takes a very few seconds. 30 seconds of any static performance is dull. (Just hold your breath, or a pose or a musical note for that long and see what I mean.
sanscan@tds.net

"I will never bitter be, as long as I can laugh at me!"

"The people who were dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music"
Brent Allan
View Profile
Elite user
Chicago
415 Posts

Profile of Brent Allan
Good point. 30 seconds would be a bit too long. Perhaps 15. I do want it to be long enough that the audience realizes that the fire has been on my hand for too long not to burn.

Anyway, It is appearing that perhaps there is no practical method for the effect.
Smile

Moffmo
View Profile
Regular user
Castleford
143 Posts

Profile of Moffmo
I once sprayed deodorant on my hand and lit it, it burnt for quite a while......

about 20 secs then you have to put it out, the flame isn't very visible it's like very blue...

Matt
Dano
View Profile
Loyal user
Centerville, OH
240 Posts

Profile of Dano
Can you spell B*U*R*N?
"Magic" is merely an illusion, but "Perception" is reality!
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3176 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
The purer the fuel, like alchohol and such, the clearer the flame. It is the impurities in the fuel that give it the pretty colors. It also contributes to a basic instability/variation in the time and intensity of the burn.

But what you are talking about is probably too dangerous to be discussed in a public forum.

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Up in smoke! » » Burning Hands » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL