The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Harbor Freight (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
AGMagic
View Profile
Special user
Cailf.
775 Posts

Profile of AGMagic
Thanks Tabby. Glad to still be here!
Tim Silver - http://www.facebook.com/pages/Magic-Woodshop/122578214436546

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Visualize Whirled Peas!
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11160 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Speaking of clamps, Wal Mart was or is selling bags of spring clamps that come in various sizes. I think they are from China. They are black plastic, and have orange swivel pads at the business end.

Beware of these things! I have had several of them break after they have been clamping something for awhile. They break with force and send parts flying. Fortunately, I have been across the room at the closest, and out of the room most of the time. But I suspect they could easily hurt someone.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
I think I have two or three of those kind of clamps left over from an 8-pack. The rest did break to pieces. In some cases, quite spectacularly while I was holding them. (Safety glasses. Always a good thing.)

Stick with steel spring clamps unless you have no alternative.
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
malaki
View Profile
Elite user
490 Posts

Profile of malaki
Most of the items that I have bought at HF have surprised me in how well they have worked. I purchase mainly smaller items from them, ranging from hand tools (beware of the hammers, the handles are set in with epoxy!) to hand held power tools (Chicago Electric tools have held up remarkably well). Jorgenson clamps from HF work well, but I was wholly unimpressed with the calking gun styled clamp whose plastic clap faces broke off on the second or third use. The "quick grip" styled clamps left me irritated when they would not tighten down. Their spring clamps (the metal ones) are a great buy.

I have also bought a pressure pot for sandblasting from them that has worked a charm. One day I may be able to afford a large compressor so that I can move the sandblasting to my shop. Their cement mixer has also held up well. My brother bought a metal lathe from them, but I do not know if he has ever unpacked it. That is a strange concept to me, buying a tool and not immediately using it...

Assuredly a store where the phrase "buyer beware" applies.
Neznarf
View Profile
Inner circle
NY then AZ now
1840 Posts

Profile of Neznarf
Harbor Freight:

I have all 5 of the cases you see among this page and so do most of the Magicians here in Tucson, AZ.

The Various Aluminium Cases are great quality and the price is right.

Wife says what do you need that case for? I say honey, you can never have enough cases.
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
ThunderSqueak
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of ThunderSqueak
Quote:
On Aug 31, 2010, ClintonMagus wrote:
I would really like to have one of these:

http://www.harborfreight.com/30-inch-she......907.html

At first glance, while half asleep... I am proud to admit I looked at that and thought "now that is a heavy duty pasta maker"... I must be hungry XD

Seriously though, I am more of the mindset of "if you are going to buy a tool, buy quality and cry once." It is much better than buying a tool that will break or cause injury. I have tried my fair share of cheap tools, HF and "big auction site", and after a particular incident where they wired it with the live wire going to the case of the device I always check!

On the other hand, buying used (not abused) tools can be a wonderful deal. Often times some of those old tools were built to last and if they were taken care of they may require a little bit of TLC. I browse pawn shops and over the years have learned how to wheel and deal with the best of them. You just have to know what you need, what you want, and how to reconcile the difference Smile

Sorry, going back to bed... was up all night and rambling now...

Cheers!
Zzz Zzz
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11160 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I have a 12" shear, rescued from the dumpster of a trophy shop that was connected to a magic shop where I worked. It had a broken part that I've been able to cobble a repair on and have used it now for close to 30 years. I wish I had one that would cut up to 24".

I have a 12" slip roll from HF. Not bad, but also limited by its size.

I have an 18" bending brake, also HF. It works, but what a pain in the butt. The lock down plate has to be clamped with C clamps.

Regarding a bending brake, 18" is more than enough for anything I make, but I would love to have a finger brake for making tight compound bends for things like die box shells.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5161 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
That would make a dandy pasta maker. You could use the C clamp to form some macaroni noodles. Smile
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
ThunderSqueak
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of ThunderSqueak
Quote:
On Jul 8, 2017, Poof-Daddy wrote:
That would make a dandy pasta maker. You could use the C clamp to form some macaroni noodles. Smile

The silver one, *is* a pasta maker XD. Tho that type does not do macaroni. I do have a wonderful philips pasta maker that makes great noodles, in fact since I purchased it we have not purchased dried pasta. The couple times I have tried to sneak on what was left of the dried pasta from the pantry, everyone says it tastes bland Smile.

I know, it is not HF, but it was worth every penny Smile
ThunderSqueak
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of ThunderSqueak
I have been watching this guy for years but ... here ya go

BOLTR: Snap-On vs. Harbor Freight Impact Wrench

https://youtu.be/WG8KU_ln77k

His vijayoes are skookum as frig!
novasteeple
View Profile
Regular user
139 Posts

Profile of novasteeple
In case it helps anyone, here's a link to a fantastic aluminum case to organize your stuff: https://www.harborfreight.com/18-in-x-6-......271.html . I purchased two last weekend, and they're unbeatable for $29.99. Notably, they're the perfect depth for a vertical deck of cards.
novasteeple
View Profile
Regular user
139 Posts

Profile of novasteeple
Harbor Freight has a 20% coupon on their home page for August 11-13, 2017, along with a free flashlight, batteries, and microfiber cloths:
https://www.harborfreight.com/
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2489 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
I still stand behind Harbor freight. I live a mile or so from one. I have purchased many items there and NEVER had one fail to perform as expected.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
TheRaven
View Profile
Special user
597 Posts

Profile of TheRaven
Quote:
On Jul 9, 2017, ThunderSqueak wrote:
His vijayoes are skookum as frig!

With all the tools he can buy at Canadian Tire, how could they not be? Arduino versus Evil....AvE
TheRaven
View Profile
Special user
597 Posts

Profile of TheRaven
I think the bottom line on Harbor Freight is that quality is variable. They have some good products and great deals, and they have some not so great products.
If you are contemplating a significant purchase, it is best to find online reviews of the product from actual owners.
B.W. McCarron
View Profile
Loyal user
Seattle, WA USA
248 Posts

Profile of B.W. McCarron
My HF radial arm saw has held up well, after three years of use. It's quite nice for cutting molding if you need to make picture frames or frame up square bases for props. I used it for 5" floor molding throughout the house, too.

The weekly 20% off and free item coupons come to use in the weekly grocery ads. Their official mailers don't include a 20% off coupon, but their email list does have the free items quite often.
gimpy2
View Profile
Special user
950 Posts

Profile of gimpy2
Had to go to harbor HF yesterday. Yes had to go they sell one item I am dependent on. I hate going there, always crowded and the line to pay backed up with people with the free flashlight coupon or whatever giveaway they have going. Noticed they had developed a new way to market their substandard power tools. Saw lots of red and black styled to look just like Milwaukee tools. Even had a chain saw that at first look was Poulan brand at a very low price. A second look revealed that the brand was Portlan. I don't really appreciate this type of deceptive marketing. It getting harder and harder to find top notch quality tools. Im afraid that these knock off tools will further fuel the race to the bottom.
jefkve
View Profile
New user
Orange County, CA
52 Posts

Profile of jefkve
Harbor freight by me is a bit of a dice roll....place always stinks of cheap plastic, and the lines can be a bit long, BUT they do have cheap stuff. As stated before, if you're in need of DISPOSABLE tools, this is the place to go. If you want quality, look elsewhere.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Harbor Freight (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL