The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Question about Rough and Sm**th (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10624 Posts

Profile of saysold1
I have a Proton deck, pop-eyed popper, and Nomen Omen (among others) that have been in storage for awhile. I am now getting back into these tricks, and have noticed that over the past (I dunno) 5 years they do not seem to be playing nicely together anymore.

I was thinking of buying some dull cote or fluid, but my questions are the following:

1) How long does the typical R and S deck last before needing a do-over?

2) If you do re-apply the fluid, should the cards be sanded or the old stuff taken off? The reason I ask is last week I tried to spray some fluid on my old Nomen deck and the cards worked great for a day but I noticed that the qualities stopped working well.

3) Does heat effect the R and S detrimentally (I'm in Phoenix...hard to avoid it!)

Thanks.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
Alex Rapattoni
View Profile
Loyal user
Seattle, Wa
229 Posts

Profile of Alex Rapattoni
Try a couple (4 or 5) light coats of dull coat. Also for extra punch use turtle wax on the smooth sides. I live in Florida and not onl have to deal with heat, but humidity. I have never had a problem with the decks wearing out, especially not after storage (they are sometimes stickier after storage!) Neither have any of my brothers. We both had our magic stuff in storage for a year or two, and our decks were homemade.
Also if you search through all the old posts in this forum there is a wealth of knowledge on the rough/smooth principle
Alex
Weird is part of the job.
Alex Rapattoni
View Profile
Loyal user
Seattle, Wa
229 Posts

Profile of Alex Rapattoni
I have also never tried removing the old rough parts before re-roughing, I just did it with it on there. If you can't get it to work, you could always make a new deck.

Alex
Weird is part of the job.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10624 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Thanks guys - yes, I put dull cote on over my existing cards and I think it just made it worse. I think the best way to is to get the old stuff off a bit with light sandpaper and then coat.

I just went and ordered a new Nomen Omen anyway - I love it.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
jugglestruck
View Profile
Inner circle
Wales
1038 Posts

Profile of jugglestruck
When mine start to wear out, which they do on quite a regular basis, I just re-coat with a very light spray and it works fine.
Trying to get the old stuff off would be a time consuming nightmare me thinks....
AngeloR
View Profile
Elite user
441 Posts

Profile of AngeloR
FWIW (for what its worth), I have seen several posts in other threads that advise only "polishing" the uncoated surfaces. Disclaimer: I have not tried this tip out myself.
Hope this helps.
Angelo
jugglestruck
View Profile
Inner circle
Wales
1038 Posts

Profile of jugglestruck
I have tried polishing with a silk and found it made matters worse! Other posts though do seem to say it helps so maybe I am lacking the right "polishing" technique!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Question about Rough and Sm**th (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.44 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL