The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Best packet trick of all time (58 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..11~12~13~14~15..24~25~26 [Next]
ropeadope
View Profile
Elite user
Mississippi
453 Posts

Profile of ropeadope
Thanks for the compilation Jeff.

John
Nothing is better than more.
Goochelvermaeck
View Profile
New user
Netherlands
6 Posts

Profile of Goochelvermaeck
I love packet tricks. My favorites are; Ultimate 3 card monte, B'wave and Entourage. I performed these tricks a lot. The packs small and plays verry big. I just bougth John Allen's Double Back, a great trick!
Jesse K
View Profile
Regular user
Finland
133 Posts

Profile of Jesse K
My own personal favorite is 4 blue cards by Juan Tamariz.
Because of that trick, I started practicing magic in first place.
Heart full of Rock 'n' Roll and Magic.

https://www.facebook.com/jesse.kervinen.1
mrsmiles
View Profile
Elite user
443 Posts

Profile of mrsmiles
Quote:
On 2013-02-15 05:54, daffydoug wrote:
Pretty cool, isn't it? Do you use the Paul Harris idea that is suggested in the instructions? Also, do you use the ending of having an "eyeball" pop into their hand?

Hi Daffy, you have a great taste in material as I've seen from your previous posts. I'm very fond of this trick too and it's a core part of my set. But I don't use the eyeball thing personally. I think the built in extra climaxes in Eye Exam are all excellent and each builds on the other - we don't need any more. Moreover I tend to think that adding the eyeball moves the routine from that rare combination of a trick that is INTRINSICALLY amazing and amusing.... towards the 'silly' which lessens it. Just my opinion....
I think we leave the routine on a stronger 'high' where the amazing and the amusing climax with the appearance of the eye test cards, so no need for the eyeball. I guess I see the eyeball as an unnecessary gag at the end that results in less laughter from your audience than what you you get from the preceeding appearance of the eye test cards & thus it's rather anti climatic in my humble opinion. You've got excellent judgement though Daffy so if you're using it... it works! Different strokes and different tastes etc. Bottom line, a great trick. Glad we're both fans of it.
mrsmiles
(UK)
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of Tom G
There's a few I like...
Mirreversal by Bob King
Oil and Water by Anthony Owens
Restless Colors by Roy Walton
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1334 Posts

Profile of Leo H
I'm currently partial to Michael Skinner's "All the Non-Conformists" from volume 3 of his Professional Close-Up Magic DVDs:

A packet trick where the four queens are displayed and a spectator names one. The named queen turns out to have the only odd backed card. The routine continues until the backs of all the cards continuously change from black to red and vice versa.

This effect actually originates with Martin Gardner and Skinner put in a few of his touches. You cannot ask for more from a packet effect. It only uses 4 cards, there are no extra cards, does not use double sided tape or gimmicked cards, and yet--packs a wallop.
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17411 Posts

Profile of joseph
I agree Leo H .. Easy to learn & set up, and a favorite of mine also. ...
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2012-01-13 09:04, magicgettogether wrote:
Trik Cards by Nick Trost

+1. By a mile.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
sohaib
View Profile
Special user
San Ramon, CA
577 Posts

Profile of sohaib
Quote:
On 2013-03-10 01:18, Leo H wrote:
I'm currently partial to Michael Skinner's "All the Non-Conformists" from volume 3 of his Professional Close-Up Magic DVDs:

A packet trick where the four queens are displayed and a spectator names one. The named queen turns out to have the only odd backed card. The routine continues until the backs of all the cards continuously change from black to red and vice versa.

This effect actually originates with Martin Gardner and Skinner put in a few of his touches. You cannot ask for more from a packet effect. It only uses 4 cards, there are no extra cards, does not use double sided tape or gimmicked cards, and yet--packs a wallop.

This is a GREAT effect

I learned it from the Ammar series years ago Smile
sohaib
View Profile
Special user
San Ramon, CA
577 Posts

Profile of sohaib
Quote:
On 2013-03-12 04:23, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-01-13 09:04, magicgettogether wrote:
Trik Cards by Nick Trost

+1. By a mile.

My #1 is still Dazzle, but this is in the Top 10 for sure

Here's a performance for those who haven't seen it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otg8VhR5dwE Smile
Paul Rathbun
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
2543 Posts

Profile of Paul Rathbun
Quote:
On 2013-02-16 21:12, TheMag1cian wrote:
What an amazing thread! What I got from this thread is that if you're starting a manic episode of packet tricks that a nice aresenal would include (in no particular order).

The last trick of Dr. Daley
Print
Color Monte
Twisting Aces
Wild Card
NFW Or Double back
Gypsy Curse
B'Wave
Done With Mirrors
Royal Scam
Jumping Gemini
Duplicity
Twisted Sisters

just to name a few.

Im definitely going to be looking in to "Eye Exam". Dropping an eyeball in to the spec's hand as a closer just sounds very fun and entertaining. I love that out of the box stuff!

Jeff

I think the following should be on this list:

Spin Doctor by Bannon
Stickmen 4 by Sanders
Double Back by Jon Allen
ldl1017
View Profile
Elite user
476 Posts

Profile of ldl1017
Doc Daley Last Trick form Greg Wilson
Color Monte
Twisting the Aces
“I am, as I've said, merely competent. But in an age of incompetence, that makes me extraordinary.”
Billy Joel
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
NUNEATON, Warwickshire
2538 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
The best packet trick of all time, in my honest opinion, has to be Peter Kane's Gypsy's Curse.

Watch this performance by the Dutch Master himself, Mr. Fred Kaps, for Bro. John Hamman and admire the true, unique brilliance of Kaps by performing it in his own, inimitable style (not to mention his own, particular take upon Bro. John's Hamman Count).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufyCwkc0M6I

This, in my honest opinion, is at the absolute pinnacle of packet tricks. Colour Monte isn't fit to clean it's boots! Smile
Barry Allen

Over 15 years have now passed - and still missing Abra Magazine arriving every Saturday morning.
mlippo
View Profile
Inner circle
Trieste (Italy)
1227 Posts

Profile of mlippo
Quote:
On 2013-02-13 08:22, daffydoug wrote:
Wow! What a dazzling multiplicity of packet effects we have mentioned in this thread! Has anybody mentioned Danny Archer's "Eye Exam?" A great effect that I love to perform, and in the end, a REAL (plastic) eyeball pops out of the cards and drops into their hand. (At least the way I do it)

I've been using Harris's idea for a while, well before learning it was his idea Smile
What I mean is that I've used that method to get rid of the gimmick and end clean when performing the classic effect where the backs of the cards change to four different colours (after all Eye Exam is variant of that). Then, after buying Eye Exam and reading the instructions, I read about Harris's handling...

I guess that if I was able to come up with it independently, many people must have. Paul Harris was smart enough to publish it I believe... Smile

mlippo
harbour
View Profile
Loyal user
283 Posts

Profile of harbour
Sympathetic cards.
My favorite, and most loved.
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
Came to this very late and I am sure these have been mentioned severa ltimes but I just have to say.

Color Monte
Twisted Sisters

and you are probably going to laugh at this one but I love it...Alien Autopsy
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1407 Posts

Profile of lynnef
Right now I carry Virginia City Shuffle and NFW, and I ALWAYS carry Skinner's Monte (surprised it hasn't been mentioned more in the 9 pages).I also love performing the Twins trick as there is a great story line to go along with it. Lynn
tonysamos1
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of tonysamos1
I always carry...
Michael Skinner's 3 Card Monte
Entourage by Gordon Bean
and
Double Back by Jon Allen
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
I don't know Merc...While I love Gypsy Curse, wonderful old trick, I think it is very hard to beat the very stealth NFW. Smile

It is such a streamlined piece of card magic that hits specs fast and hard as to amazement. It is easy to follow as 4 Jokers turn face down one at a time and then cleanly & miraculously turn into 4 Aces. There is no fluff or all that twisting & turning stuff to this, just a pretty fair show of some wicked card magic that hits people right between the eyes. Smile

Now, I do agree with you though as to Color Monte, while I have had the effect for some time now, I never thought so much of it despite it's wild popularity. It's a good trick I suppose, but just "good." I don't think it belongs in the same conversation with Gypsy Curse or NFW...Apples and oranges, I say. Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
NUNEATON, Warwickshire
2538 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
Hi MB (great initials by the way). Smile

NFW. - never performed it as, got to be honest, cards turning face up/face down actually make my eyes glaze over. That said, I've always seen rave reviews.

Yep - Gypsy's Curse is an older trick (from the 1970's). That said, linking rings and cups & balls are even older.............but do you know what?
Barry Allen

Over 15 years have now passed - and still missing Abra Magazine arriving every Saturday morning.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Best packet trick of all time (58 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..11~12~13~14~15..24~25~26 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL