The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Bob Kohler's Lightning Box (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6..10~11~12 [Next]
polygonsmagic
View Profile
Elite user
500 Posts

Profile of polygonsmagic
"The only similarity between the Leveridge Lightning Ring Box and The Lightning Box from Bob Kohler is the word 'lightning'."

Yes, I really don't mean anything by this either, but isn't [using a title that is very similar to another] kind of a big deal? I know Mike Close thought so when coinworkers started using the term "workers" a little too freely.

And to me, that little white box looks very similar to that little black box. I'm just sayin.....
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4934 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
If you watch the demo on Leveridge's site, you will see that his ring box can't use cards. The object needs weight. You also have to shake the box before the reveal.

I think just tooling up for the ABS to be turned will be a major cost. Manufacturing is expensive. Kohler's Lightning box looks like a fine product.
James
ps
Mike Close also says he invented the wrist hookup for ITR. Funny, I have a book with Cardini using the same hookup. I am sure people used the term "worker" before he did.


Quote:
On 2010-09-07 23:08, polygonsmagic wrote:
"The only similarity between the Leveridge Lightning Ring Box and The Lightning Box from Bob Kohler is the word 'lightning'."

Yes, I really don't mean anything by this either, but isn't [using a title that is very similar to another] kind of a big deal? I know Mike Close thought so when coinworkers started using the term "workers" a little too freely.

And to me, that little white box looks very similar to that little black box. I'm just sayin.....
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22858 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I have worked with plastics for years, and the Kohler box looks like it is molded not turned. There is what we in the business call "Flash" around the rim of the box shown.

It does not cost that much to mold or turn a plastic box. I think a better design and color could have been chosen for this little box trick. The pill box design is steping backwards. A square box would have been better with some color.

Plastic is one of the cheapest materials to manufacture.
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4934 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
I got ya here Bill.
Here in Taiwan vacuum molded plastic is cheap, BUT to open a mold is around $10,000
So you need to make a bunch or it is really expensive.
I say turned because they mentioned computers and it looked like a lathe in the demo.
James



Quote:
On 2010-09-07 23:48, wmhegbli wrote:
I have worked with plastics for years, and the Kohler box looks like it is molded not turned. There is what we in the business call "Flash" around the rim of the box shown.

It does not cost that much to mold or turn a plastic box. I think a better design and color could have been chosen for this little box trick. The pill box design is steping backwards. A square box would have been better with some color.

Plastic is one of the cheapest materials to manufacture.
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
Steve Hook
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, NC, USA
1264 Posts

Profile of Steve Hook
From Bob's website:

"The material we used to construct the Lightning Box is Black ABS Plastic. The material works very well for this application. It's tough and durable yet it's very lightweight. ABS Plastic is used in high quality products. Do not confuse ABS Plastic with cheap injection mold plastics.

The Lightning Box is manufactured on high end computer controlled lathes and milling machines."
Like Bonnie Raitt said, "I miss Little Feat more than I miss being 8 years old." Thanks for the concerts + recordings, Lowell, Richie, and Paul!
Bob Kohler
View Profile
Special user
704 Posts

Profile of Bob Kohler
As per the product description the Lightning Box is manufactured completely by CNC equipment. No injection molding processes are used. The trailer has a shot of the actual box as it's being turned on a lathe.

I choose black as the color because it simply hides the mechanism better than any other color.

The very first prototypes in the 1990's were made of wood and were square. I learned valuable lessons building the prototypes. The main lesson was neither wood or the square shape worked.

The tolerances on the Lightning Box are very tight. Wood expands and contract too much from heat and humidity changes.

Square boxes have many issues. Too many to list. The cylinder was proven to be the way to go.
www.bobkohlermagic.com

Home of the BK Pro Line
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
The Roberto Giobbi Lecture DVD by International Magic has footage of Frank Garcia on the David Susskind show. Frank used a round 'snake basket'. Susskind went out of his usual drab, dull character as he was beside himself when his signed card ended up folded inside the round little basket.

It's magician thinking to want the box to be square or a different color. An audience will not care or notice. Their signed card appearing inside is all they will ever remember.

The Lightning Box reminds me of a jewelry box. Perhaps put a small cufflink inside to fall out with the card?

For me, this stands out and would be the way I'd go:

BLACK LIGHTNING. This routine is performed under test conditions. The Lightning Box is in full view BEFORE a card is selected and signed. The audience sees the face up signed selection until the very last second. The signed card appears instantly in the Lightning Box.

Chris
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Bob Kohler
View Profile
Special user
704 Posts

Profile of Bob Kohler
Still some Pre-Order spots left...
www.bobkohlermagic.com

Home of the BK Pro Line
Mike McEathron
View Profile
Regular user
Peterborough Ontario Canada
164 Posts

Profile of Mike McEathron
Quote:
On 2010-09-08 12:11, Review King wrote:
The Roberto Giobbi Lecture DVD by International Magic has footage of Frank Garcia on the David Susskind show. Frank used a round 'snake basket'. Susskind went out of his usual drab, dull character as he was beside himself when his signed card ended up folded inside the round little basket.

It's magician thinking to want the box to be square or a different color. An audience will not care or notice. Their signed card appearing inside is all they will ever remember.

The Lightning Box reminds me of a jewelry box. Perhaps put a small cufflink inside to fall out with the card?

For me, this stands out and would be the way I'd go:

BLACK LIGHTNING. This routine is performed under test conditions. The Lightning Box is in full view BEFORE a card is selected and signed. The audience sees the face up signed selection until the very last second. The signed card appears instantly in the Lightning Box.

Chris


Could not agree more !
Mike
Mystical Matthew
View Profile
Elite user
468 Posts

Profile of Mystical Matthew
I pre-ordered this just for the sheer practicality of it. I never use my Kennedy boxes because the gi**ick has a tendency to stick half way, thereby screwing up the illusion. It may be an isolated problem with just my particular boxes, but I bought two of them several years apart. Both have the same issue.

I'm sure it's fixable, but I never took the time to dig deeper into it. If I'm right about the Lighting box (and I'm 99% sure I am) then this should never be a problem.

Also, I have a general rule of thumb. If I can accomplish an effect without using cards, my first order of business is to do so. Nothing against card work, but I feel people see a lot of it done. Where there's a magician a deck of cards is sure to follow. I try to make my work look different from the crowd.

With the Lightning Box, it appears I'll be able to do "signed object to impossible location" in a very practical but powerful way. This has my creativity doing somersaults!

I'm looking forward to receiving mine. I'm especially anxious to cash in on "Reason #10"... lol ;-)
dahih beik
View Profile
Special user
palestine
817 Posts

Profile of dahih beik
I have the kennedy box and I love it , you can show the box empty at the begining if you desire ... I can see a huge discrapancy move when he places the box on the table I cant understand asking this price for a double sided box .
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2010-09-11 06:53, dahih beik wrote:
I have the kennedy box and I love it , you can show the box empty at the begining if you desire ... I can see a huge discrapancy move when he places the box on the table I cant understand asking this price for a double sided box .


The Kennedy Mystery Box is fantastic, but it is limited to a certain playing card back design ( red or blue back bike ).

The Lightning Box is much more versatile. Any card design can be used, plus other objects as well.

The ad says

"Users can very easily swap out the object inside the box. It takes about one minute. You can use any playing card, any type of paper currency from any country, you can use business cards or billets. Many other objects will certainly find there way into the Lightning Box. For example I've also used sugar packets, small envelopes and many other small objects.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
catweazle
View Profile
Special user
924 Posts

Profile of catweazle
Quote:
On 2010-09-11 06:53, dahih beik wrote:
I can see a huge discrapancy move when he places the box on the table I cant understand asking this price for a double sided box .


I Agree, I do think specs notice moves like that, I certainly did and I have no previous knowledge of these types of box, looking at the demo I imagine that there are no moving parts, just a bit of an optical illusion, though I must be wrong for this price and the fact it needs to be ABS for trouble free use.
The fact remains that it does just look like a double ended box, that's what I see, I don't see a magic effect happening....

perhaps more info on the box workings would help me make a more informed opinion.
dahih beik
View Profile
Special user
palestine
817 Posts

Profile of dahih beik
That what I meant catwezly , we are looking at lightning price for a prop that uses a very old principle I still believe that for half the price you can get kennedy witch worth every penny .
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
5686 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Quote:
On 2010-09-11 07:26, Review King wrote:

* The Kennedy Mystery Box is fantastic, but it is limited to a certain playing card back design (red or blue back bike).


In fact most such boxes are limited to holding a flat object like playing card etc.

Quote:
On 2010-09-11 07:26, Review King wrote:

* The Lightning Box is much more versatile. Any card design can be used, plus other objects as well.


Yes, I fully agree with you Chris.

I have understood the working of this wonderful & brilliantly thought off and precision crafted box by Mr. Bob Kohler.

The beauty of this little box, as I understand (after watching the demo vid), lies not only in showing a simple flat folded item (Card/ Billet/ Business card/ Bill etc.) but by showing that the box is filled with other bigger items (dice etc.) to the top (almost!), then dumping out the contents and showing the box to be completely empty. That IMHO creates a greater & a much bigger illusion in the minds of the spectator.

Hence I feel that the versatility of the Lightning Box is a very big advantage as compared to other similar boxes.

Just my thoughts! Smile Smile

Smile
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4586 Posts

Profile of silverking
The discrepancy is huge.
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2536 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
Quote:
On 2010-09-11 10:37, silverking wrote:
The discrepancy is huge.


Actually, the so called discrepancy is quite natural. I think mountains are being made out of mole hills. Watching a demo is nothing like watching in a real situation. Only magicians scrutinize to such a degree. If you ever see Seth in action, he will fry you. Bob is excellent as performing is how he makes his living. The fact that we think we are so clever that we might figure something out is ludicrous. Does it get the job done? Are our clients happy with our performance? Do we get rehired? Does a magician know what we are doing? Who cares!! The great thing about this country is no one forces us to buy.
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
You can't misdirect the camera. Magicians and lay folk view magic differently.

Long before Bob Kohler released material to the fraternity, he was a professional magician working corporate gigs and private parties. An effect may not appeal to someone ( we all have to make choices as to what we'll carry and use ) but you'd be wrong in thinking audiences aren't blown away by anything he releases as Bob prides himself in doing magic that works under 'test coindiutions'.

Oh, and the talented Paul Vigil ( resident Magician at King Ink at The Mirage in Las Vegas ) uses the Lightning Box in his professional work.

Just some things to think about.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
catweazle
View Profile
Special user
924 Posts

Profile of catweazle
Quote:
On 2010-09-11 12:43, Review King wrote:
You can't misdirect the camera. Magicians and lay folk view at magic differently.



Totally agree, just pointing out that from the demo the box at least appears to be a double ended box, that is what I see!! when I watch a double lift in a demo it still looks like magic, when I watch this demo I just see a double ended box,it costs a hell of a lot of money so I hope there is more to it than that, but as that is all my eyes can see when I watch the demo I'm struggling to see how the price is justified.
If there is some diabolical, ingenious mechanism that justifies the price the demo does not do it justice.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5487 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
I love Black Envelope. I love Spirit Bell. If Bob put half as much effort into this effect as he did with those, I won't be disappointed.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Bob Kohler's Lightning Box (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6..10~11~12 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL