The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Liquid roughing fluid! (not a spray) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Alex Rapattoni
View Profile
Loyal user
Seattle, Wa
229 Posts

Profile of Alex Rapattoni
I know that there are about a million posts about roughing food on here, but I believe I found something new! I know plenty of people have said that they use to use, but can't find, the liquid dullcote. I was running about town today, pricingthe different roughing fluids (krylon and testors) at my local retailers. I walked in to Joann's and was looking by their acrylic paints and I found "liquitex matte medium" on the side of which says "increases adhesion". I bought it and brought it home. I just finished testing it out and I had to share. This stuff works like a dream! It's about 12 dollars for an 8 oz bottle. It seems pricey but if you consider that a 3/4 oz liquid dullcote is 3.50. It's more than 11 times the liquid at less than 4 times the price. A bargain in my book!
Weird is part of the job.
Rpascual
View Profile
Special user
USA
668 Posts

Profile of Rpascual
Hi sounds great.. guess I should start looking for it.

Anyway.. how did you apply the liquid to the cards?
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6135 Posts

Profile of motown
I've always preferred liquid roughing fluid. I'll have to check it out.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Alex Rapattoni
View Profile
Loyal user
Seattle, Wa
229 Posts

I applied the fluid with a q-tip, though you could use a cotton ball or a paint brush if you were so inclined. I didn't need much. And make sure you apply it evenly!
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
6135 Posts

Profile of motown
I'll bet Michael's sells this and they always have 40% or 50% off coupons.
This is something normally used by painters of the art kind.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
catweazle
View Profile
Special user
924 Posts

Profile of catweazle
Quote:
On 2010-09-03 23:59, Alex Rapattoni wrote:
I applied the fluid with a q-tip, though you could use a cotton ball or a paint brush if you were so inclined. I didn't need much. And make sure you apply it evenly!

the best way to apply the fluid evenly is to use a rubber roller, they are available from art supply shops pretty cheaply, for tips on how to coat the card see the 'Coating cards' section from Chris Wasshuber's excellent article on making cards here..

http://www.lybrary.com/make-your-playing-cards-a-11.html
AnthonyJD
View Profile
Veteran user
Long Island , N.Y.
340 Posts

Profile of AnthonyJD
Wow thanks for sharing. While I don't do much with cards I have a few that use R&S . I wonder if one of those cheap foam brushes would work?
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
6135 Posts

Profile of motown
I've always just used a cotton ball and it worked fine.
– Karl Germain
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
6135 Posts

Profile of motown
I picked this up today at Michaels using a 50% off coupon and got it for $6.
– Karl Germain
Alex Rapattoni
View Profile
Loyal user
Seattle, Wa
229 Posts

Nice, Motown. Thanks for the hot tip.
DelMagic
View Profile
Special user
721 Posts

Profile of DelMagic
I had the best luck using lint-free cheesecloth for applying roughing fluid. With cotton, I would sometimes get fuzzies stuck on the card. The lint-free cheesecloth worked good for me.
AnthonyJD
View Profile
Veteran user
Long Island , N.Y.
340 Posts

Profile of AnthonyJD
As a cabinet maker I should have know ! Thanks.
Failed Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Still working on the DL even after made
2100 Posts

Profile of Failed Magician
I got a Quick Fix Roughing by Aldini since last year. But I have problems in applying it onto the cards. Any tips I can use?
Magic comes through perception. -HS
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Liquid roughing fluid! (not a spray) (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL