The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » For the record » » Origin of chicago opener/red hot mama (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1395 Posts

Profile of lynnef
A powerful and yet simple effect many of us have performed for years! What's the origin and history? I love the permutations of this effect as well, from Whit Haydn's Chicago Surprise to David Regal's Joker works overtime! Any newer ideas?
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1395 Posts

Profile of lynnef
Answering myself here! I just read a history of the effect in Whit Haydn's booklet. Apparently it was an Al Leech (from Chicago) effect that Ed Marlo popularized. However the trick may have earlier origins ... as Anneman is also mentioned by Marlo!

Anyhow, I'm still interested in the history of this effect, some of it shrouded in mystery.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24306 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Al Leech originated Red Hot Mama. That's what he actually called it.

Marlo had a tendency to embellish actual history, especially if it could be done to the detriment of people of whom he was jealous. Ed was not a "worker," per se. He was a tool and die maker who did some wonderful card magic, but it wasn't his chief source of income.

Leech, OTOH, was a full-time pro.

There were a couple of competing "schools" of thought in Chicago at the time. Some were followers of Marlo, others of Al Leech.

Whether there was any outright animosity between Marlo and Leech is debatable. But some of their followers got into it with one another like they were discussing something really important, such as which end of a boiled egg to break. Smile

Ed had a phenomenal memory for various sleights and subtleties and would trace things to the end of the Earth if the results could be used to put his competition down.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1395 Posts

Profile of lynnef
Thanx Mr Palmer for clearing the Annemann reference up! It sounds like Marlo wishing to take some thunder away from Leech. The article in the Whit Haydn booklet, by the way, was written by Randy Wakeman!
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
I've grown old after diggin' holes for
2827 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
According to "A Last Look at Leech" by Anthony Brahams, the first effect in the booklet is entitled "A Hot Card Trick". Perhaps it was changed to "Red Hot Mama" at a later date? Inquiring minds want to know...

Cardamagically,
Dom Smile Smile
We don't stop playing when we grow old...we grow old when we stop playing.

God is enough, let go, let God. Gal 2:20

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile
mormonyoyoman
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug 5,000 postholes, but I have only
2440 Posts

Profile of mormonyoyoman
Was "in the booklet" referring to Braham's book? If so, is it possible that Braham gave the title of "A Hot Card Trick" to a hot card trick which Leech had shown him, and that Braham had forgotten (or hadn't known) the title of "Red Hot Mama"?

*jeep!
--Grandpa
#ShareGoodness #ldsconf

--Grandpa Chet
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
I've grown old after diggin' holes for
2827 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
After reviewing my copy, yes it was stated in Brahams booklet. In the epilog after the explanation, Brahams explains that Jim Ryan's version was called "Red Hot Mama". The effect was originally called "A Hot Card Trick No. 1" by Al Leech & was marketed in 1950 by The Ireland Magic Company.

Cardamagically
Dom Smile Smile
We don't stop playing when we grow old...we grow old when we stop playing.

God is enough, let go, let God. Gal 2:20

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile
RandyWakeman
View Profile
V.I.P.
Plainfield, ILLINOIS
1617 Posts

Profile of RandyWakeman
Quote:
On 2010-09-08 16:55, Bill Palmer wrote:
Al Leech originated Red Hot Mama. That's what he actually called it.

Marlo had a tendency to embellish actual history, especially if it could be done to the detriment of people of whom he was jealous. Ed was not a "worker," per se. He was a tool and die maker who did some wonderful card magic, but it wasn't his chief source of income.

Leech, OTOH, was a full-time pro.

Al Leech was a journalist by trade, never a full-time or part-time pro. He was on the staff of Newsweek in the late 1950s, working in PR for Allis Chalmers out of Milwaukee in the 1960s.
Philippe Noël
View Profile
New user
Belgium
71 Posts

Profile of Philippe Noël
From what I know, in 1950, the Ireland Magic Company markets a trick by Al Leech called "A Hot Card Trick".
This trick becomes very popular. Professional magicians as Jim Ryan or Franck Everhart put it immediately in their repertoire.
In 1972, Frank Garcia publishes Frank Everhart's version called "Chicago Opener" in Million Dollar Card Secrets.
In 1980, Philip Wilmarth publishes Jim Ryan's version called "Red Hot Mama" in Jim Ryan Close-up vol. 2.
Joe McIntyre
View Profile
New user
New jersey
61 Posts

Profile of Joe McIntyre
Walter Gibson whats new in magicpage 75.calls it red and blue fantasy.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
It is one great effect and I now do it all the time.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20534 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
For years I used this trick. I don't know why I quit.

I need to relearn it now.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3614 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
It is a wonderful trick.
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
NUNEATON, Warwickshire
2496 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
I worked like a kid possessed at school during the Seventies, to improve my pretty dire grades. My reward was being able to dip into my Dad's old magic dating back to the 1930's, and pick out a few items from time to time.

One of these items was a manuscript - I think it was released by Max Holden, and sold with agreement, by Max Andrews - the owner of Vampire Magic that traded out of Hamleys, London. The trick was just one page of yellowing, typed fullscap paper outlining a trick by John Scarne. This was the first time that I ever encountered a trick of the Chicago Closer genre.

One method used a double-backed card and the 'impromptu' version used just an odd-backed card. I still have the manuscript somewhere stored away in my loft, but I'm pretty sure it's dated 1940.
Barry Allen

14 years have passed - and still missing Abra Magazine arriving every Saturday morning.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » For the record » » Origin of chicago opener/red hot mama (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL