The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Solid Sponge Balls (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
There are advantages to using sponge balls for a C&B or Routine, especially if the audience thinks they are solid. Has anyone ever used a "noise maker" to produce a clacking sound when you knock the balls together or against a cup? Might work for a Benson Bowl Routine as well.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Tommy Wonder used a principle similar to this. I think it's in one of his books.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
panlives
View Profile
Inner circle
2087 Posts

Profile of panlives
There is something about the mass of a sponge ball - the way it sits and rolls - that makes it difficult to pose as a solid ball.

I would be interested to hear from others who have successfully fooled an audience using this ruse…

Perhaps the type of performance - close-up, parlour or stage - makes a difference?
"Is there any point to which you would wish to draw my attention?"
"To the curious incident of the dog in the night-time."
"The dog did nothing in the night-time."
"That was the curious incident," remarked Sherlock Holmes.
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of Tom G
I'm just not a fan of sponge balls used in C&B routines. Seems to become more of a sponge effect and cups aren't needed. Just my opinion.
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
run off by a mob of Villagers wielding
2109 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
Right now, I'm in the process of learning the Fred Kaps routine. He doesn't appear to draw any undue attention to the fact that they are spongeballs.

I bought some new ones and they were much smoother than usual, - didn't look as spongy. As for sound, there might be something to put inside that clicks when struck together perhaps. I wouldn't care to carry another piece of apparatus just to do that however.
"The secret of life is to look good from a distance."
-Charles Schulz
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
To expound a bit. I don't mean to replace the normal crocheted balls or to ever reveal that the balls are sponge -- but to have balls that seem to be marbles and "clack" when struck. I have found that such a noise increases the idea in the spectator's mind that the ball can't move around undetected. If a ball makes a sound when dropped into a cup then later shaking the cup can prove its emptiness without lifting it. Alternately, having a sound within or beneath a cup can prove a ball is inside even if there is not. I have done this with bells successfully.

If the audience can be convinced that the balls are "hard" then the additional sleights available with sponges should increase the possibilities of magic occuring. Guess I'll have to work up a routine as domonstration -- just hoping someone else had already cleared the way.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
kentfgunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Merritt Island FL
1639 Posts

Profile of kentfgunn
Here's a Cups Routine with sponges.

Ger Copper.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbkHvjNOr24

I don't know why its sped up????

KG
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I've made many many red felt balls of various sizes. I've made them of all felt but I've also made them with a wooden core. You could easily mistake a red felt ball that was 2" with a wooden core for a sponge ball. Then you really could drop them or clack them to ensure they were solid before an easy switch.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
truesoldier
View Profile
Inner circle
1191 Posts

Profile of truesoldier
Hi Funsway, have a look into Carl Andrews work in that area, you may find some useful ideas.

In addition, for the noise you could just tie a small mint tin to your wrist and put a pebble or something in it to use as a shaker / noise maker. I don't know how effective it will be, you'll probably have to experiment a bit as I'm just think off the cuff.

All The Best
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2734 Posts

Profile of RS1963
If you are one of those people that can actually perform Roger Klause's dice vanish that could maybe work. You wouldn't be visibly hitting them together, but it could give off the impression of being solid that you are trying to accomplish.
J.G. the magnificent
View Profile
Special user
Griffith Indiana
886 Posts

Profile of J.G. the magnificent
The most useful application of sponge balls I have found besides them traveling to a spectators hand and other traditional uses is in Tarbell vol 1. He holds them billiard style so things appear open and honest but between the thumb and pointer there are two concealed as one. This is not just a way to use their properties but it eliminates any use of a shell.

Also today I just purchased some sponge multicolored golf balls meant as cat toys from PETSMART. I am going to paint them white and could switch them in and out with real golf balls. I have a c&b's routine in mind that usses these. They are something common place that people regognize.
Jeremy Gates
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Quote:
On 2012-07-05 17:47, J.G. the magnificent wrote:
Also today I just purchased some sponge multicolored golf balls meant as cat toys from PETSMART. I am going to paint them white and could switch them in and out with real golf balls. I have a c&b's routine in mind that usses these. They are something common place that people regognize.

Practice foam golf balls look more like regular golf balls. You can get them at a sporting goods store. The foam is a little more dense, however.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Thanks, Kent. Excellent routine. Speed seems to be a technical glitch.

Uploader's comment "Thanks guys, unfortunately I can not get the right speed on YouTube...tried it several times..bit better quality on Facebook..."
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
The title of this thread got me thinking. If you could disguise solid wood balls as sponge balls. Do a standard routine and wind up with 3 balls sitting on the table. Hand the balls as a group to the spectator, saying "I should end this now, they're getting hard to work with". With the solid ones being switched in at earlier stages of the routine. Just a thought Smile
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
J.G. the magnificent
View Profile
Special user
Griffith Indiana
886 Posts

Profile of J.G. the magnificent
Jeremy Gates
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Solid Sponge Balls (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL