The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » The first time (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
I was going thru old video clips and found this one. It was the first time I tried this effect. I literally woke up in the middle of the night and did the clip.
It wound up as part of Dances with Ropes.
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/XIb......rectlink
Professor Ian's Dream Rope Routine

Sorry about the video quality, it was an experiment at the time.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Wow, I guess this is not a shared experience. Lots of viewers and no comments. Was it that boring?
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Ian
I remember when you PMed me the link to that video to ask me what I thought of it.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Ron Vergilio
View Profile
Special user
Murrieta, CA
835 Posts

Profile of Ron Vergilio
Ian,

That was a nice twist to the PNM. I liked it. I won't even ask. LOL

-Ron
May the magic in your life never disappear

*** Lou Serrano's Steel Ball Routine ***
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
I like it, but your stuff often makes me feel stupid -- as in, "Why didn't I think of that."

Maybe others are similarly affected. They don't respond because they have pieces of rope in their hands -- a compliment. In many ways you are the "Johnny Appleseed" of modern rope magic. Looking forward to your Lecture in November.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
In my case, stupidity is the mother of invention. When you approach a magical premise without preconceived notions, the result is a fresh approach and oft times the simplest.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Not boring at ALL, Ian. Nice variation! I've done Daryl's version of Professor's Nightmare since I got his Magic Castle lecture on VHS. I would be FORTUNATE to attend your (or any, these days) lecture in November!

Doug
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Doug
It would be very wise of you to attend one of Ian's lectures, because Ian is a magic invemtor, that has taught me much.
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Thanks, Al and Doug. And Al, I had to abbreviate the lecture you saw in Colon, we had a non-magic family of rug-rats in the room.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Ian
I have seen all of your videos, I have most of your DVD's, I've eaten pizza with you in Colon, Mi, I have talked to you right here at the magic Café for a few years, and I think that I am qualified to call you a great magic inventor.
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Al who?
Just kidding. My goal in life is to throw out some puzzles now and then. Plus fishing for compliments with foolproof bait. I have some plans this fall to shake up a few trees and the Magic Café is the prime place to test out the waters.
I just post a few clips now and then to remind people I am still here.
You and a few others have made it a pleasure. The challenges of creating new rope moves come from all of you out there. I have a lot of methods looking for applications.
Years ago, I had my shop where I would taunt the local club and customers. Lately, I have been at home (except for venturing out for lectures). The medium of youtube and video have been my portal for getting feedback and experimenting with perspectives of rope magic.
Also, if I don't get my original moves made public, I can't document them later when others re-invent the wheel.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On 2010-09-05 15:19, Al Angello wrote:
Doug
It would be very wise of you to attend one of Ian's lectures, because Ian is a magic invemtor, that has taught me much.

Unfortunately, my situation, as it stands, prevents me from going anywhere. Currently, homeless, and dropping fast. No hope for employment at this stage. About to move to plan "C", which may have me saying goodbye again from the Magic Café for a while. Discouraging as it sounds, I am OK. There is a shelter in downtown Bangor. I may be moving there, I don't know yet.

Ian's lecture would be a wonderful thing to attend, as I said. Brilliant mind. Anyone who can, may I highly suggest attending!

Doug
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Doug, Can you do, or ever try street magic?
Find a spot, drop a hat on the ground. Al does busking, he does it. So do a lot of magicians.
If you know any magic at all, go to a library and tell them a price to do some magic and/or start a class.
Approach the club in Bangor
http://www.ibmring362.org/
Join them in a fundraiser on your behalf, so you can get on your feet.
No shame, no problem, pay em back when you can.
Free Internet at any public library.
tomterm8
View Profile
Regular user
163 Posts

Profile of tomterm8
Quote:
On 2010-09-05 21:53, Dougini wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-09-05 15:19, Al Angello wrote:
Doug

Unfortunately, my situation, as it stands, prevents me from going anywhere. Currently, homeless, and dropping fast. No hope for employment at this stage. About to move to plan "C", which may have me saying goodbye again from the Magic Café for a while. Discouraging as it sounds, I am OK. There is a shelter in downtown Bangor. I may be moving there, I don't know yet.

Ian's lecture would be a wonderful thing to attend, as I said. Brilliant mind. Anyone who can, may I highly suggest attending!

Doug

Doug, I didn't know it was so bad for you. I would suggest going to the sidewalk shuffle forum on the Café, http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?forum=6&34128, explaining your situation, and post asking how to busk.

People will help you out.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
Doug, if you can get to Knoxville, TN you can have a place to stay for a month or so. Busking is legal downtown and I have lots of equipment you can borrow. You can help me around the place with some remodeling construction, painting and so on while looking for work. Maybe one of the nearby magic shops/shows is hiring.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Quote:
On 2010-09-06 18:50, funsway wrote:
Doug, if you can get to Knoxville, TN you can have a place to stay for a month or so. Busking is legal downtown and I have lots of equipment you can borrow. You can help me around the place with some remodeling construction, painting and so on while looking for work. Maybe one of the nearby magic shops/shows is hiring.

Hey Doug, you can Winter in Knoxville. Cool deal. I will be at his house in November and have first dibbs on the big bed.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On 2010-09-06 13:01, tomterm8 wrote:
Doug, I didn't know it was so bad for you...People will help you out.

Thanks Tom! It's still up in the air. I'm spending a lot of time during the day, downtown. In the library, walking around. I've shown a coin trick or two, and some impromptu stuff, but that's about it.

Quote:
On 2010-09-05 22:15, magicians wrote:
Doug, Can you do, or ever try street magic?...Free Internet at any public library.

Thank you Ian! I just discovered that! Nice and quiet, too! Street magic, no, I never have. Long story, but it really doesn't fit me. I did a professional gig for a couple years, but had some real bad luck with that, long story there too.

And thank you funsway! Really generous offer! I'm feelin' the friendships here!

:)

Doug
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
You know, if your really hungry, but you don't like turnips...you eat turnips.
You have a skill set of magic, and the worst tricks get a tip or two. Chris Capehart makes $1500 a week doing very little, with little variety.
His philosophy is small tips ad up.
You can't do tech work on the street, and there is no biz like magic to get a quick buck.
On the other hand, you could work from the library and do your tech work. I do web sites all over the world from my laptop while watching TV.
I host 60 sites from one account.

That's another type of magic you can do.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Wow, Ian! Nice ideas! I like turnips, by the way, LOL! I've done a bit of impromptu magic the last couple of days. Mainly coins. I'm going to try and find some rope. It's amazing what curiosity does. I had about three or four come over to see what was going on. Good reactions.

I'm going to work on that a bit. I currently have the fear-factor to overcome. That will lessen with time. Thanks, my friend!

Doug
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Here's another first time effect, that is in my current lecture. I never posted the whole thing online because it was a little odd.
Anyway, this is an un-gaffed traveling knot effect.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hALqI-209GI

It was the first time I had done this as a complete effect.
The music just makes me feel good.
Tango Rope
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » The first time (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL