The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » The first time (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Way to go Doug
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Thanks, Al!

My confidence got boosted a bit! The coins, Okito Box, and thimble kept attention for quite a while, yesterday, in the Library. Smiles and laughs, and a lot of "Shhh!", LOL! The little gift shop, downtown gave me a good reaction, when I went in and got change (4 quarters) for a dollar, and proceeded to do Coins Across. They got all the employees out to watch, after the first coin went across, Ha!

Today, at the Library, I was immediately asked to do another trick. Sheesh, I did so much yesterday, I didn't really know what to do, so I did Coins Through the Table, and my thimble routine again! I need to get some rope. I do a Cut & Restored Rope, with no funny moves, and ends clean. That'll fry 'em! Oh, and I checked, NO busking in Bangor! Not a big enough city anyway. Oh well!

I'm at the Library now, just sitting here, and they are still talking about "the magician over there." Ha! People here don't see magicians, very often! I'm wondering, where are all the IBM Ring #362 people? You'd think I'd run into someone, after a few days of this!

Oh well! Gonna go out and walk around a bit. Warming up, now. Kinda cloudy, but not a bad day!

Doug
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
I contacted the ring president to give you a shout. That was a week ago.
There is also that restaurant about three blocks from the library. Maybe some table hopping?
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
More than likely, your town is magic deprived. Ripe territory to become the "local" magician. When I left Middletown, NY years ago, I couldn't go to the store or a movie or down the street without some kid or adult say "there's the magic man".
Make up some business cards or even hand print them on a card. I tell you, it'll pay your rent some day.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On 2010-09-16 13:45, magicians wrote:
...There is also that restaurant about three blocks from the library. Maybe some table hopping?

You know Bangor, Ian? Three blocks from the library...hmmm, Giacomo's, on Central? There are a few others, but TINY! The only one that has a sizable lunch crowd is on the corner of Hammond and Central, called the Thai Siam. I'll check them out! Thanks!
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
I have Google Earth, lets you scope out the landscape. Small restaurants are great, larger is for later. Giacomo's sounded great.
Just do it! If you don't make money, you will eat well.
tomterm8
View Profile
Regular user
163 Posts

Profile of tomterm8
Quote:
Oh, and I checked, NO busking in Bangor! Not a big enough city anyway. Oh well!

Hi Doug, there's a phrase in busking... 'it's easier to ask forgiveness than get permission'. What this means is that if you just go out, and do a small show, aimed at getting ten people to stop, and stay for ten minutes, you can busk without really disturbing anyone. Even if its technically illegal, the police aren't going to get there in time to stop you, and people will leave you alone unless you are causing trouble. If a policeman comes up, you just suck it up, say something along the line of "Sorry sir, I didn't know it was illegal... I'll move along now", and find another place outside of the area to busk.

As for the town being too small... I think doorway shows are good, because you can do them anywhere.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Well, folks...I have experimented with various ideas, and have had no luck. I DO have an idea. Portland may be were I'm headed next. I have had some encouraging suggestions from people I have performed for in Market Square here in Bangor. I actually got applause and put $5 in my pocket last weekend!

Portland has a lot more opportunities, and I'll come to the Café, and let you-all know what I have found! Thank you for your prayers and support!

Gratefully,
Doug
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
UPDATE:

Fell flat on my face, with the Portland idea. We press on...
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Doug
I know that you live in Maine, but Burlington, Vt, is very fertil teritory for busking.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
After trying my hand at that, I have come to the smart conclusion busking is not for me. However, I have a few gaffs up my sleeve, I'm currently working on. It or they, may work out after all, for the best. I'll find out by Monday...

;)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » The first time (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL