The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » History of mentalism (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Zebaztian
View Profile
Special user
The Netherlands
655 Posts

Profile of Zebaztian
Is there a website which descibes a good / profound history of mentalism? The wikipedia-entry doesn't give much.
My mind reading routines: http://www.basjongenelen.nl/goocheltrucs/. Scroll a bit down to the English routines.
Dick Christian
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Virginia (Metro DC)
2620 Posts

Profile of Dick Christian
Zebaztian,

I am not aware of any such website or book. The closest to what you seek that I know of is William Rauscher's 2002 book "The Mind Readers, Masters of Deception." While it does not begin to cover the entire spectrum of mentalism, it is a rather comprehensive description of mindreaders, both solo performers and those who worked with an onstage assistant (e.g., two person code acts) although I do know of a few recent (20th century) and contemporary performers that have escaped Rauscher's mention (or notice?).

Dick
Dick Christian
Michael Daniels
View Profile
Inner circle
Isle of Man
1502 Posts

Profile of Michael Daniels
It's not a website, but there is a good short documentary on the History of Mentalism on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrHWgWNXveY

Mike
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12020 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Great documentary, thanks.

Decomp
Aaron E
View Profile
Special user
737 Posts

Profile of Aaron E
Yes. The link posted is a great!!!!
Dick Christian
View Profile
Inner circle
2620 Posts

Michael,

Very good documentary. Thanks for posting the link.
Dick Christian
Stefmagic
View Profile
Special user
523 Posts

Profile of Stefmagic
Marc Paul said : "Mentalism is doing magic tricks with a mental flavor"!

Can't agreed with that!

How in the world, a great mentalist like Marc Paul said that on TV ???
Dick Christian
View Profile
Inner circle
2620 Posts

Quote:
On 2010-09-04 14:44, Stefmagic wrote:

Can't agreed with that!

While that is not something I would want to acknowledge publicly, if one is honest one would have to admit that, while we may not wish to admit it, it is a true statement -- unless of course one DOES actually possess true psychic ability, and I have yet to meet such a person.
Dick Christian
Michael Daniels
View Profile
Inner circle
Isle of Man
1502 Posts

Profile of Michael Daniels
I guess the issue here is that good mentalism does not appear to be a magic trick but rather aims to give the impression of genuine psychic ability.

Mike
Zebaztian
View Profile
Special user
The Netherlands
655 Posts

Profile of Zebaztian
Gonna watch the docu tomorrow. In the mean time I think it's still a pity that there's not a good general view on the history of mentalism on the internet.
My mind reading routines: http://www.basjongenelen.nl/goocheltrucs/. Scroll a bit down to the English routines.
Zebaztian
View Profile
Special user
The Netherlands
655 Posts

Profile of Zebaztian
Although I did use the search engine, I didn't find this thread: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......um=15&16 . Now I found it anyhow, while searching for something else.
Aaron E
View Profile
Special user
737 Posts

Profile of Aaron E
Stephmagic

When I watched the Marc Paul statement, I thought it was a smack in the face to all serious mentalist. It is a true statement...BUT like Dick said, I would not have said that on T.V or to ANYONE for that matter.

Cozmo
Zebaztian
View Profile
Special user
The Netherlands
655 Posts

Profile of Zebaztian
alpha alex
View Profile
Special user
774 Posts

Profile of alpha alex
Quote:
On 2010-09-04 14:44, Stefmagic wrote:

Can't agreed with that!

because is true
mentalism is exactly that

the thing is most mentalists are afraid of admiting that
and even some are so self delluded they started calling themselves psychics..
but well..
AlluTallu
View Profile
Veteran user
Finland
396 Posts

Profile of AlluTallu
Wow, what a great document! Thanks for sharing guys Smile!
marcpaul
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of marcpaul
Hi Guys
Just for the record.
Why did I say what I did? Well it's really a question of context. When this programme was made for the BBC it was NOT a history of mentalism. It was ONE episode of a SERIES of SIX shows about the history of MAGIC. And that is the title the show transmitted under in the UK. The History of Magic. I would have looked a bit stupid trying to claim that none of what we do fits into the category of magic. The mentalism show was scheduled to be the last show in the series and was mean't to illustrate the fact that magic is "growing up" and becoming something more "real" more "believable". I think the show does that very well and I'm very proud to have been part of it. I went in as just another act and ended up topping and tailing the whole show. In the end the BBC liked the mentalism show so much that they transmitted it first. They wanted to launch the series on a high note. I think that alone is a great testament to everyone who worked on it.
Smoking Camel
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1040 Posts

Profile of Smoking Camel
Theres a good description in the artful mentalism by bob cassidy
I no longer smoke camel cigarettes.
Darby
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
237 Posts

Profile of Darby
Those were great videos of the BBC show. I certainly would be interested in a DVD of it, but didn't see one available.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » History of mentalism (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL