The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Quick Clean Blood (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

m@t
View Profile
Loyal user
London, UK www.MatthewLaskey.com
250 Posts

Profile of m@t
Does anyone know if there is a fake blood that you can buy or make that will wipe off skin with a damp cloth when dry, without leaving a red stain on your hands for hours?

Cheers,

Matthew Smile
Dan McLean Jr aka, Magic Roadie
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Canada
798 Posts

Profile of Dan McLean Jr aka, Magic Roadie
Google for
"how to" "fake blood"
Dan McLean Jr
www.MagicRoadie.com
"Taking the mystery out of stage technology!"
m@t
View Profile
Loyal user
250 Posts

Profile of m@t
Yeah cheers Dan,

I have tried that and only seem to find methods that leave your hand with a red tinge even after washing. I am hoping to use it in an effect for the street so would want my hands to be clean for the next performance 20 mins later.

Any advise is really warmly welcome,

Matthew Smile
Dan McLean Jr aka, Magic Roadie
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Canada
798 Posts

Profile of Dan McLean Jr aka, Magic Roadie
My only other suggestion is to use whatever theatre pros use for removing an actor's make-up. I know you're not talking about make-up, but their products cover a very wide range, so it might work.
Cheers!
Dan McLean Jr
www.MagicRoadie.com
"Taking the mystery out of stage technology!"
Andy Leviss
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1179 Posts

Profile of Andy Leviss
A common trick used in making stage blood for theatre is, as long as it's not going to go near your mouth, to mix a bit of detergent in with the blood. Doing this, you'll even be able to easily wash it out of clothes, since it's automatically starting to wash itself out!
Note: I have PMs turned off; if you want to reach me, please e-mail [email]Andy.MagicCafe@DucksEcho.com[/email]!
m@t
View Profile
Loyal user
250 Posts

Profile of m@t
Was that a joke Andy or are you being dead serious? Smile

I am going to visit a fx and makeup shop in London tomorrow to see what they recommend.

'Cheers' Smile

Matthew
Andy Leviss
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1179 Posts

Profile of Andy Leviss
I'm am 100% serious. In fact, in addition to homemade stage blood being made that way, the commercially made stage blood the props crew used when I was a sound technician at the Utah Shakespearean Festival included detergent as one of its ingredients.
Note: I have PMs turned off; if you want to reach me, please e-mail [email]Andy.MagicCafe@DucksEcho.com[/email]!
m@t
View Profile
Loyal user
250 Posts

Profile of m@t
I will take a look around for a few 'recepies' that involve detergents and try them out- thanks Andy.
Andy Leviss
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1179 Posts

Profile of Andy Leviss
Try this for starters: http://www.faqs.org/faqs/theatre/stagecr......-33.html

It notes towards the end of the DIY section that "Adding a little washing-up liquid to any of the above may make it easier to wash out of costumes.

"Adding blue washing detergent has been suggested - it makes the blood easier to wash out, and darkens the blood. Be careful of this, washing detergent can cause severe allergic reactions."

I would imagine that, to wash it off your hands, you could use a clear hand soap instead.

Also look at http://www.exposure.co.uk/eejit/blood/blood.html

The second one there isn't as realistic looking, but is apparently easier to clean up.
m@t
View Profile
Loyal user
250 Posts

Profile of m@t
Thanks for those Andy Smile
mvmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Has written
1302 Posts

Profile of mvmagic
I'm a trained special effects make-up artist and I don't think I have ever seen a blood that doesn't leave a bit of color on you. Kryolan makes incredible blood which is extremely realistic in appearence, but leaves a yellowish stain. Using a lotion on the area you are about to use the blood on does help—just make sure it is a greasy one and not something that absorbs in minutes.
Sent from my Typewriter
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Quick Clean Blood (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL