The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Add a number or serial number revelation, who cares? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

sychou
View Profile
Veteran user
314 Posts

Profile of sychou
I hope to perform mentalism which hit the audience very hard,that have meanings to audience and they will remember it for long time.
John Riggs said he didn't use card in mentalism because nobody cares, the card did not have decent meaning or relation to the audience.
I used to do add a numbers prediction and serial number revelations before,although these could amaze my audience when performing,these do not have decent meaning or relations with audience,they do not talk about it after the performance. After all,who care about these numbers? I was thinking maybe mixing numerology,use their own numerology number and add them up for add a number prediction. But still don't find interesting presentation for serial number revelation.
Hope to hear fellow mentalist's opinions, Thanks.
Hawk-Eye
View Profile
Loyal user
G'day from Australia
203 Posts

Profile of Hawk-Eye
I disagree with some mentalists' approach that every item they perform must have personal significance to the audience. While this is desirable in many cases, a performer does not have to divine the name of a loved one to create an engaging experience for the spectator.

I am a big fan of the revelation of the serial numbers of a spectator's borrowed bill. It is the perfect object for a display of telepathy: a random string of numbers and letters, provided by the spectator, which the performer could not feasibly know.
insight
View Profile
Inner circle
3095 Posts

Profile of insight
You have to connect with the audience, have them create their own number.
magic maniac
View Profile
Elite user
493 Posts

Profile of magic maniac
Sychou - I like what your doing, trying to raise your game to include the strongest effects you can perform - Congrats !

This is just my observation, but some of the strongest effects I perform on stage don't have any personal significance to laymen, such as the TOD or Book Test. That being said, I understand what your trying to accomplish, but don't how long your performance sets are. For example, I watched Marc Salem perform 90 minutes worth of outstanding material, but do I remember every effect - no, and listening to the audience afterward, neither did they.

If your only performing 2 or 3 pieces, then maybe the serial divination isn't for you, but in a larger set (if given the proper presentation), you could definitely include the serial divination as an interlude piece between your 'go for the jugular' effects, to lighten the mood and let your audience catch their breath.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10195 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I have to disagree with you as far as hitting them hard and personal. Even when you are revealing the name of their first love, or their first kiss, you are only hitting that one person hard, to everyone else it's just the same as a serial number divination. It's overall connecting with the audience, selling your personna, the experience, and showmanship.
sychou
View Profile
Veteran user
314 Posts

Profile of sychou
Wow,thank you guys for so kind to share your wise advices.
Magic Café is the best resource for learning how to perform magic!
Yes,I agree we mentalist sometimes tend to overanalyse our art too much or seriously,but that is intresting for me. I love thinking and creating effects.
I don't perform magic or mentalism for living. I have other JOB.
But Mentalism is biggest intrest,it's my life. I seldom perform.
Usually performing when hang out with friends at resturant.
So normally I only perform 1 to 3 effects when hang out with friends each time,within half hour. And rest of the time,I just enjoy talking with friends and eating food.
But I ever performed serial devination on stage too. I agree with magic maniac that some effects can be used as interlude piece,after all,not every effect can be killer effects on a 60minutes show.
ThePhilosopher
View Profile
Regular user
Menlo Park, CA
122 Posts

Profile of ThePhilosopher
Quote:
On 2010-09-05 10:33, sychou wrote:
not every effect can be killer effects on a 60minutes show.

I humbly disagree. Eugene Burger wrote, "Our aim here is to have in our repertoires only that material which is strong; not items that are passable, but only the strong."
(The full article is here http://www.secretartjournal.com/archives/53)

I have always tried to live by this. I think the key is to not get stuck in the end effect. A good mentalist can take something simple and make it big. This is the dividing line between the men and the boys. Copperfield, Houdini, Derren Brown, and especially David Berglas are all experts at this (and that is what made them famous).

Derren Brown's show "Evening of Wonders" has an excellent bit that is based off a 50/50 chance: the box either has the big money or not. He turns something that small into a very entertaining stage piece.

David Berglas did a simple design duplication. It was simple except for the fact that the person writing was the mayor in an airplane, and David duplicated the design
with his motorcycle, drawing in the sand.

That said, I don't want to mention how many years it took me to realize that you don't have to say the words that come with the instructions.

Creativity!
- Nathan
Steve Suss
View Profile
Inner circle
1193 Posts

Profile of Steve Suss
It's always nice when possible to have an emotional hook with our effects but I don't think it's mandatory. Just imagine for the sake of argument that you could really devine the serial number on a bill while clenched in the owners hand. All it would take is for you as a performer to drive home the impossible conditions and you would have a memorable miracle. The fact that you're doing it for real makes your job of convincing much easier. The more you can convince the audience the greater the effect. If I met someone on the street and he told me to take out any bill from my wallet and proceeded to devine the serial number I think this would be just as strong as telling me the name of my first girlfriend after I've written it down on a piece of paper. Take a look at Tim Connover or Marc Spellman's presentation if you want to see 2 reputation making serial number revelations.

Steve
Hawk-Eye
View Profile
Loyal user
G'day from Australia
203 Posts

Profile of Hawk-Eye
Quote:
On 2010-09-05 09:58, insight wrote:
You have to connect with the audience, have them create their own number.

I really don't think that having the audience come up with their own number is a satisfactory solution. The audience is still going to feel the same attachment to 'their' number as they might a piece of rubbish on the street. It's still just a number.

Indeed, I think that the serial number on their borrowed bill is just as 'personal' (not particularly) as a randomly chosen number.

I don't think it's necessary to insert personal meaning into this effect, and simply present it for what it is: the astonishing divination of an apparently unknown string of letters and numbers.

I would consider a performer very one-dimensional if he or she performed only such effects as this; however, in conjunction with other, more personal effects, the serial number divination can be a very strong effect.
ThePhilosopher
View Profile
Regular user
Menlo Park, CA
122 Posts

Profile of ThePhilosopher
I second what Hawk-Eye said. It is not always personal because of the type of information that is being read, but the feeling they have when the mentalist is entering their head.

For example, a method of reading a serial number may not depend on the spectator knowing it. That would leave you the choice of how you want to present it--as telepathy or clairvoyance. When I can choose between the two I always pick telepathy: it is much stronger because it happens to the audience. They feel like you are getting into their head and are not only passively watching a demonstration of some strange ability.

There needs to be a shift from the performer to the audience. In the case of add a number it should not be about the mentalist who knew the outcome, but the audience who--despite their free choice--was unable to do other than what the mentalist had in mind. If you really sell that experience it can be very powerful.
- Nathan
TheMagicalMan
View Profile
Loyal user
238 Posts

Profile of TheMagicalMan
I have been searching for this effect FOR MONTHS and I can't find it. I have seen FIXED numbers or products generated on DVDs and books. But may anyone please guide me to how I may use it for perhaps as my phone number or the spectator's number or so ?

I have seen this on TV before and boy was I mind blown..... A mentalist asked 3 spectators each to think of 3 a digit number and add them, and call the number, it was his actual phone number.

If it's in the books of mentalism I have been searching for a long time so please guide me to the resources of it or the DVD or so. Thanks a lot.
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
It's my view that the focus shouldn't be on the effect itself, but on the ability you claim to have. The effect is the vehicle to demonstrate the ability. You can get an audience invested/interested based on your claimed ability and how you demonstrate it. If you're simply showcasing effects they'll be viewed as tricks.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Magicalman-

How many old threads are you going to resurrect in order to answer the same question that you've ALREADY asked in two other threads that you started yourself?
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12326 Posts

Profile of John C
Looks like as many as it takes Bob! Haha
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
corvus corax
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of corvus corax
Well, then hinting towards that most secret book in mentalism by a certain A********* should do no harm.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Add a number or serial number revelation, who cares? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL