The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Coin dropper designs? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22800 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Tabman, thank you for your insightful comments. The magic faturnity will surely grow with all your wisdom you have shared with the Café members. We appreciate your contrabutions to the art and to all the people who love magic as much as you do.
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell because I've made
2582 Posts

Profile of thegreatnippulini
Quote:
On 2010-09-11 10:51, wmhegbli wrote:
The young kids today, like to just use terms as they will. They never bother to look it up in the magic dictionary....

...Kids today, just throw terms around, and ususally do not know what they are talking about in the 1st place.

Magic is indeed doomed to ignorance.

I've been a professional body piercer since 1993. Expanded or stretched piercing in ears are kept open with jewelry called plugs and/or earlets. For decades the piercing industry has referred to them as such. Since the past 3 to 5 years teenagers have ruined the field by calling anything resembling body jewelry as "gauges". Even so to the point of misspelling it "gage". Every time they come in my shops and use that word it kills a small part of me. I stopped trying to educate them a long time ago and have to just accept that not only magic, but the entire world is doomed to ignorance.

Don't believe me? Watch the movie "Idiocracy" to see a possible future for mankind.
The Great Nippulini: body piercer, Guinness World Record holder, blacksmith and man with The World's Strongest Nipples! Does the WORLD care? We shall see...
http://www.greatnippulini.com
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9497 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
You think that's tough

Try standing behind the counter and demo-ing a TT that's chrome... then explaining that the color doesn't matter- then show them a few samples and the first question out of their moths is "Does this color match my thumb?".
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Quote:
On 2010-09-11 14:37, wmhegbli wrote:
Tabman, thank you for your insightful comments. The magic faturnity will surely grow with all your wisdom you have shared with the Café members. We appreciate your contrabutions to the art and to all the people who love magic as much as you do.

Wow!!! Just in case you're not being sarcastic, let me say I'm humbled by your statement.

We had a magic builders forum in Clanton, Alabama over the weekend as part of Bob Sanders' Magic Valley Magic gathering. Gimpy, Michael Baker, Ray Witko, and I fielded questions from the audience for about an hour. It was a lot of fun. Since I started with magic before I was ten, that gives me 55+ years of being deeply interested in the art and well over a hundred years of experience on the panel.

Bill Pitts, the grand old magician (he won't like being called this) from Arkansas was there to share his reminisces. I shot video of it all. Fantastic stories. I have his permission to release it in any form so I will be happy to share it with everyone. Stories from his canvas covered box escape challenge days to his midnight spook show days as Doctor Templar. And you would have loved seeing Ruth Pitts doing a very elegant rings and salt routine; all on video. Really wonderful.

You will love it!
...Your professional woodworking and "tender" loving care in the products you make, make the wait worthwhile. Thanks for all you do...

http://Sefalaljia.com
gimpy2
View Profile
Special user
960 Posts

Profile of gimpy2
I would also be interested if there is a good design already out there to drop one coin at a time. I have a project in the works that needs that type of gizzmo built into a wood handle. Be great if I did not have to start from scratch.

My wife Patti and I had a chance to visit for a couple hours with Tabman this weekend.I believe he may be the most interesting person I have ever talked to.

Gimpy
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Quote:
On 2010-09-13 16:02, gimpy2 wrote:....I would also be interested if there is a good design already out there to drop one coin at a time. I have a project in the works that needs that type of gizzmo built into a wood handle. Be great if I did not have to start from scratch....

It hit me that one of those things that lets you peel off one coin at a time might be a place to start.
...Your professional woodworking and "tender" loving care in the products you make, make the wait worthwhile. Thanks for all you do...

Herr Brian Tabor
View Profile
Special user
West Virginia
729 Posts

Profile of Herr Brian Tabor
I'm not sure if I was just called a young ignorant kid or not, but either way, wmhegbli, the Magic Café is a place to learn. If someone is wrong, the people who have the incorrect information can correct them. That's the point of this site, magicians helping magicians. It's not just for people to tell others "you're ignorant and should have read this book where is the world going etc."
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Quote:
On 2010-09-13 16:02, gimpy2 wrote:... My wife Patti and I had a chance to visit for a couple hours with Tabman this weekend.I believe he may be the most interesting person I have ever talked to.

Gimpy

Gimpy and I discovered we are brothers from different mothers!

Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11176 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Remember the change makers that car hops used? That would be a good place to start.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Quote:
On 2010-09-13 18:42, Michael Baker wrote:
Remember the change makers that car hops used? That would be a good place to start.

That's one of those things I was talking about!! When's the big push north?

Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22800 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Somewhere in Boston there was a person who made dollar size coin slide droppers. Dave Cressey sold them for him. I tried to get a second one, but the guy stopped making them, Dave even called him specially for me. They are made like the coin slides from Abbott's that made them for half dollars and palming coins. Mine holds 5 real silver dollars. These droppers are also being made by an India company, but in quarter size.

If you can bend sheet brass, they can be made, but a metal bender is needed. Hint, Hint, to Michael Baker.
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Quote:
On 2010-09-13 18:05, Herr Brian Tabor wrote:...I'm not sure if I was just called a young ignorant kid or not, but either way, wmhegbli, the Magic Café is a place to learn. ...

Don't let it bother you. There's a lot of great people here on The Magic Café.

Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22800 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2010-09-13 18:05, Herr Brian Tabor wrote:
I'm not sure if I was just called a young ignorant kid or not, but either way, wmhegbli, the Magic Café is a place to learn. If someone is wrong, the people who have the incorrect information can correct them. That's the point of this site, magicians helping magicians. It's not just for people to tell others "you're ignorant and should have read this book where is the world going etc."

Magic is indeed doomed to ignorance. This is a general statement of the direction magic is going today. If it was addressed to you it would have been structured differently.
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2209 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
I think what Bill is really bemoaning is that America (and maybe the world) is doomed to illiteracy.

This is inevitable as reading in general becomes less and less common.

Posted: Sep 13, 2010 8:42pm
Figures, and here I am in Boston. *sigh*

If someone made them again in half dollar size Id pay good money for one or two...

The indian droppers I've tried were all made from cheap pot metal and were worthless.
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11176 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2010-09-13 19:11, tabman wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-09-13 18:42, Michael Baker wrote:

That's one of those things I was talking about!! When's the big push north?

I should be rolling out on Oct 4.

Quote:
On 2010-09-13 19:14, wmhegbli wrote:
If you can bend sheet brass, they can be made, but a metal bender is needed. Hint, Hint, to Michael Baker.

If someone will email me the workings of one of these things, hopefully with a drawing, I may give it a shot once I get re-established in Peoria. I used to make cigarette droppers, so these can't be too terrible.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
I can shoot you some pictures of the indian ones I have. Im sure ist not the only way to build the gate, but it may give you ideas.

The problem with my cheap Indian ones is that they pretty much always jam on the third coin release. I suspect that's because the metal isn't straight enough or the width of the bend is too wide, such that one coin can jam up under the one below it.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11176 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Send photos if you will.

I can visualize a flat tube that arranges coins side by side (top to bottom).

There would then need to be a separate piece, a spring loaded closure at the bottom that serves 2 purposes. 1st, when pressure is applied to this piece, it opens the lower end to allow the passage of the coin closest to this opening. 2nd, in the same action, it would block all coins above it from dropping. Once pressure is released after the coin steal, the spring pulls this piece back into its default position, and all the remaining coins would gravity feed toward the bottom, setting everything up for another steal.

This spring may be an actual metal spring, or could even be a small rubber band, which may make it easier to adjust the tension on the moving piece. You'd want it to move easily, but only when you wanted it to.

Lining such a slide, as I do with coin in wool slides may or may not be possible. It depends on if the tube must be soldered, or if there is a way to form them as I do with the ones I make.

I'm thinking they could also be made from thin aircraft ply. It would slightly increase the size, but not much.

Posted: Sep 13, 2010 10:52pm
As well, the coins used can make a huge difference. Very thin coins (like palming coins or very worn coins) would tend to overlap one another in the queue, causing a jam. Very thin coins like quarters would require a very precision fit.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
I use half dollars.

And yes that's basically the slide and gate mechanism. Ill shoot some pics tomorrow.
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Quote:
On 2010-09-13 20:43, Michael Baker wrote:...I should be rolling out on Oct 4.

October is a good month to move. Not too hot; not too cold. I know you'll be glad to get the shop back up and working.

It was great visiting with you yet again at the Clanton Gathering at Magic Valley Ranch. Thanks for coming down and bringing your friend. He and I spent some time talking and I enjoyed meeting him. I know he's gonna miss you.

Styrene might be a good material to make those slides out of too but Ive never used it for that. THe quarter droppers I made for Jamy Ian Swiss were made of brass tube and the slides for the coin in the ball of wool were made out of thin walnut.

Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11176 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Are you talking about droppers that drop a lot of quarters all at once, like the O Ring dropper?
~michael baker
The Magic Company
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Coin dropper designs? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL