The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Here he goes again... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
the_grim_roper
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of the_grim_roper
There is an argument about stooges, which Derren uses, that he couldn't pay the stooges enough money to keep quiet should a big organisation eg News International wave its cheque book around. Though this could be yet more misdirection.
nimrod
View Profile
Special user
881 Posts

Profile of nimrod
I think the show was very good. It wasn't a mentalism show, it was a hypnosis show, but a good one none the less. It was beautifully crafted, scripted and produced.
I wish all the TV shows will have that quality of production and depth to them.

Nimrod , Israel

p.s.The number of laymen in Derren's shows decreases every time. In this show there was only one layman. I predict in the next show an actor will take even that role, and in the next one an actor will play Derren Brown. And frankly I don't care, I love dramas (fully scripted shows) and I think this is where Derren is heading and he can be very good at that.

p.s.s. The alligator piece was brilliant.
bevbevvybev
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2674 Posts

Profile of bevbevvybev
I hated it and got bored.
nimrod
View Profile
Special user
881 Posts

Profile of nimrod
2.6 million viewers. Apparently he's doing something right.
Derren is successful because he doesn't think what we will love. He think what the audience will love. And he delivers it in an artful way. Most mentalists haven't learn this simple rule yet.
Instead of hating it and getting bored try to understand what makes this show so strong and appealing for laymen. We can learn from this single show more than we can learn for a complete Osterlind DVD set. I know I have.

Nimrod , Israel
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
I doubt it is Drren on his own. He has a team that have to be commended for keeping him on TV. Big Brother was popular for a decade on drivel. I don't think it has anything to do with mentalism and all to do with marketing.

Unless you have a tv series or tv channel wanting to spend money on you in a different country there is nothing an ordinary performer can learn from these shows.

I think they are awful personally. Most of my lay people friends do too. But they also disliked Big Brother.
Olympic Adam
View Profile
Inner circle
1259 Posts

Profile of Olympic Adam
I think we ARE part of the audience! mostly because we watched it.

I think Derren is successful because he was GREAT and people loved his work, then he got a name for himself and is able to coast along on his previous work because people don't question what is put in front of them (why Big Brother was watched and why religion works) he is just living off his reputation! if anyone else was to do that effect, people would dismiss it for what it really is, a big load of alligator crap

and just because people watched it doesn't mean it was good, I watched it, I'm part of that 2.6 million and I hated it, I doubt I will watch the next one!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-11319747

investigating the train track bit
Protection for mind readers and mentalists: http://tricksofthemind.com
nimrod
View Profile
Special user
881 Posts

Profile of nimrod
Quote:
On 2010-09-16 09:04, mindpunisher wrote:

there is nothing an ordinary performer can learn from these shows.

I agree. But there is a whole world for a professional performer and creator to learn for them. Keep aiming for the ordinary, we'll see how it goes.

Nimrod , Israel
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Those that have tv series and big budgets perhaps in other coutries. A master class in extending a career on TV.

But I don't see any value for the rest.

Personally can't even watch Derren for a few mins before reaching for the off switch. But I agree is doing something "right".
Michael Daniels
View Profile
Inner circle
Isle of Man
1609 Posts

Profile of Michael Daniels
Quote:
On 2010-09-15 18:29, the_grim_roper wrote:
There is an argument about stooges, which Derren uses, that he couldn't pay the stooges enough money to keep quiet should a big organisation eg News International wave its cheque book around. Though this could be yet more misdirection.

I don't think Derren needs "stooges" for these shows - he just needs to select very compliant people who are prepared to "play along" with whatever he comes up with. The selection auditions for his shows do this very effectively.

Mike
nimrod
View Profile
Special user
881 Posts

Profile of nimrod
I rarely do what I'm going to do:

The idea of drawing strength/abilities from an animal - very visual and spooky.
The idea of introducing a machine/toy that reassembles the spectator state of mind (3 phases of jack in the box) - can it be the other way around?
the idea of talking to someone while he's a sleep in order to influence him (I do it on my own stage show).
The idea of letting the spectator escape the straight jacket (instead of the performer).
The idea of instructing the spectator in the driest manner while he is doing it (the dissonance is awesome and funny and can play great on stage).
The idea of claiming a show to be a live one while it isn't.. ;-)

Derren's shows are dealing with the 2 basic illusive principles of mentalism:
1. Story telling without sounding like a story teller
2. Making the invisible ("inner power") visible.
In simple words: creating an interesting concept and making it visual.

You can't ask for a better teaching DVD. I know I can't.

Nimrod , Israel
Olympic Adam
View Profile
Inner circle
1259 Posts

Profile of Olympic Adam
I really would ask people to watch his earlier stuff again and the live shows and tell me that this last thing really hasn't gone down the tubes, even the events were fantastic compared to this

you can get them all on youtube now and they make great dinner viewing
Michael Daniels
View Profile
Inner circle
Isle of Man
1609 Posts

Profile of Michael Daniels
HMV in the UK has the box set of the 4 earlier specials on sale for £10 at the moment.
Olympic Adam
View Profile
Inner circle
1259 Posts

Profile of Olympic Adam
I should add that they are legally on youtube from Channel 4 - just watched Series 2 Ep 1 of Tricks of the mind and I really enjoyed it from start to finish. Lots of different things happening and they were fun.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
>>>even the events were fantastic compared to this <<<<

Im cringing at the thought..
Olympic Adam
View Profile
Inner circle
1259 Posts

Profile of Olympic Adam
Sorry I almost fooled myself, I retract that statement wholeheartedly
Waters
View Profile
Inner circle
2508 Posts

Profile of Waters
May I respectfully ask if we have to put religion in the same cart as Big Brother? Implying that people hold beliefs that you do not, does not mean they are unthinking.

With regards,

Waters
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
I love Derren's work. I think it's brilliant.

Too bad if some of you don't (with passion even it seems...).

Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
nimrod
View Profile
Special user
881 Posts

Profile of nimrod
Derren is the most important mentalist since Kreskin and Geller (he even bigger than them considering not only fame but also contribution to our art).
Success is something you love when it's yours and hate when it's others'.

Nimrod , Israel
shuren
View Profile
New user
Barcelona (and Sweden)
51 Posts

Profile of shuren
Seems like Derren himself took the criticism in this thread quite personal (4th paragraph from the bottom):

http://derrenbrown.co.uk/blog/2010/09/co......re-14110

Although this program was far from one of my favourites from him, he seems to genuinely have wanted to create a "new genre" of programs and truly help people which I respect. I'm looking forward to reading his new book.
taikuutta
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of taikuutta
Anyone who has a real understanding with hypnosis knows that you don't need a stooge to do these things.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Here he goes again... (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL