The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Presentations for book test (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

sychou
View Profile
Veteran user
314 Posts

Profile of sychou
Recently I was pondering about all kinds of presentations for mentalism effects.
I would love to hear opinions from you guys.
Let's start with the presentation for book test.
1 Clairvoyant(the mentalist could just sense the chosen word somehow)
2 Telepathy (Let the spectator think of the word then send the word to mentalist)
3 Remote view(mentalist remote view the word without the spectator knowing the word or remote view the word via spectator's eyes)
4 Memory test(the mentalist memorized the whole book)
5 deduce ability(the spectator think of other word from free association of the chosen word,the mentaalist deduce the chosen word from final word)
6 use as preshow for drawing duplication
looking fowards to you guy's idea,thanks
sychou
View Profile
Veteran user
314 Posts

Profile of sychou
Many people have many different versions of booktest.
I thought many mentalists will have intrest in presentations for booktest.
Still looking forward for you guy's thinking on this,thanks
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
A friend of mine who combines mentalism with his magic (horrors!) likes to begin his routines with, "This isn't magic and isn't aimed at fooling you, but I'd like to try an experiement with you......."
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
sychou
View Profile
Veteran user
314 Posts

Profile of sychou
I think every effect we present,we should
think what ability are we trying to convey or imply to the audience.
Thus it's important with the premise of the effect.
Besides, I notice that make no claim or set any premise just let the audience decides themself is another way of presentation too,such as richard osterlind's mindset.
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
Sychou, Number 6 is a great idea.
Magic is a vanishing art.
sychou
View Profile
Veteran user
314 Posts

Profile of sychou
Edh,is that a book?who is the aurther?
Thanks
ThePhilosopher
View Profile
Regular user
Menlo Park, CA
122 Posts

Profile of ThePhilosopher
I would caution on the memory test presentation. All it takes is "and what's the word five lines down?"
- Nathan
Mr. Mindbender
View Profile
Inner circle
1566 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mindbender
First off, check out any of the Outlaw book tests and you have a few more ways of presenting this type of effect...but more importantly...your question comes off as a bit of an "exercise", and I'm not sure how productive it ultimately is, at least for my way of thinking.

I don't mean to come off as condescending, I know you're just trying to brainstorm with everyone, and that can be productive, but I find it a confusing way to approach things. It's like saying "Okay guys, I have a hammer...what are all the different things I could do with it? I know I can...

1) Pound a nail into a board
2) Use it to break a glass
3) Pulverize some aspirin to make it easier to swallow
4) Drop it and break my toe

...etc.

I don't buy a hammer and then try to figure out all the ways I can use it (unless, I'm drunk, I guess).

I have something I want to make, and I realize I need a hammer (and a few other tools as well) to help me build it.

I'm trying to build a character, and an act, with a theme and purpose. I decided what needs to be built to create these things, then I figure out the tools I want to use to do the job.

Again, I want to emphasize that I think there is value in simply brainstorming possibilities, but I think it's important to make sure it goes beyond that in the long run.
tiriri
View Profile
Loyal user
Ecuador
247 Posts

Profile of tiriri
I do it either as a telepathic phenomenon where the mentalist transmits the word to the spectator's mind, or as a premonition where the mentalist foresees the word that is going to be chosen by the spectator.

Giovanni.
Stephen Young
View Profile
Inner circle
Thought Illusions
3933 Posts

Profile of Stephen Young
Although rather specialized, I have for a while wanted to do apiece that reconstructs what happens when a "psychic" is called in to help find missing persons.
Using John Archers new Streets book test will enable this to be done in a very clean way
I will "locate" the missing person (actually a body)
I will "locate" the murderer and by tying in a few other methods I will also reveal how the person was killed and the murder weapon

Steve
Dick Christian
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Virginia (Metro DC)
2619 Posts

Profile of Dick Christian
Book tests can be presented in many contexts. Which is most appropriate depends entirely on the situation, the performer and the ability the performer is claiming to demonstrate. An equally -- some might say more -- important considertation is whether one should perform a book test at all. That depends not only on the aforementioned factors but the situation, the venue, the audience and the performer's experience and especially his competence at audience management.
Dick Christian
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Presentations for book test (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL