The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The Future of Screen Technology (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
That's it, I'm going to invest in screen cleaner.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16262 Posts

Profile of tommy
Neat!
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
In Fahrenheit 451 they had wall screens.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of gdw
There are quite a few of the concept videos/products out there. Really fascinating stuff.

Funny thing about this one is that about half of what they had in it was not new, lol. Like the phone sharing thing at the end for example.
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
I realise I am probably in the minority, but absolutely nothing in that video appeals to me.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5024 Posts

Profile of landmark
More screens, so we never have to see or talk to a live body.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I'm with you Balducci. All I thought of what how sad a person can't brush their teeth without checking their calendar. I don't even wear a watch.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3248 Posts

Profile of gaddy
I just want "augmented reality" digital contact lenses. People have already made contacts with a few embedded LEDs, so the next wave shouldn't be to far behind...
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
That initial screen (the Ipod that extends) looked impossible, but now that I recall, they're working on "electronic paper" or paper-thin view screens. Putting one on a roller-blind would make that possible.

I just want a cheap HUD, like they've already got in some luxury cars.
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2010-09-08 00:06, MagicSanta wrote:
I'm with you Balducci. All I thought of what how sad a person can't brush their teeth without checking their calendar. I don't even wear a watch.

Though I agree this can, and will, be a side effect for some (possibly many) but, you can look at it the other way as well. Being able to check things like that while brushing your teeth leaves you MORE time to see your friends.

Also, a lot of this was about making things more portable, so you won't be cooped up in your room in front of your computer.
Of course, again, there is the counter that you will have people out in nature with beauty everywhere, and they have their faces glued to their phones.
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I sent to a fab where they make screens (I think it was Sony's contracter) when my old company was involved with that technology. It was really interesting and they are getting better and bigger and smaller screens made. There really is a lot of stuff that goes into fabing those things.
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2209 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
The extending screen was a post-effect ofc ourse (CG, if you watch the edge you can see it move a bit where registration wasn't quite perfect) and there was no place physically for it to come from. BUT if you allow for the room to roll it up and store it, roll out screens have already been demonstrated in prototype using eInk technology.
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Gaddy- contact lenses will probably be a stretch for 2014, given battery requirements. But I can easily see the tech being put on glasses. It would certainly speed up the effect of "transition" lenses that get darker in sunlight.
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The Future of Screen Technology (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL