The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Plants do you use them? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
One of the things that surprised me about doing some shows recently after a long time away from stage was..

The number of people who just can't get their head around the fact some people can be manipulated to do almost anything on stage. I was accused of using plants a couple of times. One old couple said the show was rubbish. When I asked why they said that all the people on stage were obviously plants. They went on about old stage hypnotists who were "great" at a time when eating onions and forgetting the number 7 were the main routines.

The most bizarre rationalisation was that two guys were wearing the same boxer shorts so obviously were plants. I just can't get MY head around how those people think? Obviously I pay people to perform and make them all wear the same colour of underwear!

Hypnosis shows seem to get extreme responses those that absolutely love it and go over board to those that think its all fixed.

I got the last show fimed and will put up a few clips soon.
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4176 Posts

Profile of bobser
Great, will that include the stooges with the same shorts?
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19821 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
There is no way to get such genuine reactions from them.

They would have to be the best improv actors in the world.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Shane Masters
View Profile
Regular user
Columbus, OH
157 Posts

Profile of Shane Masters
Agree with Danny. There is an awful lot of fantastic improv actors out there if this is fake.

On a side note, I pull people off stage when they are faking it. People paid to see a hypnosis show, not a person faking to be hypnotized show.-Shane
The Cerebral Assassin
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Quote:
On 2010-09-08 10:02, Shane Masters wrote:
Agree with Danny. There is an awful lot of fantastic improv actors out there if this is fake.

On a side note, I pull people off stage when they are faking it. People paid to see a hypnosis show, not a person faking to be hypnotized show.-Shane

I do the same with my girlfriends I pay them to be genuine..
dmkraig
View Profile
Inner circle
1949 Posts

Profile of dmkraig
I would suggest that this really isn't a question of plants. Rather, it's a question of belief. Some people have it in their minds that there is a certain limit as to what they will do under any circumstances. Factually, such a conscious limit is untrue, but they believe it.

When they see someone who transcends that limit, it's a challenge to their entire belief system. In order to maintain their "mental order" they simply have to attack as false what you are doing. This is similar to a book I read a long time ago, written by a magician and skeptic, claiming that Geller was able to bend spoons by using a "dry acid" powder that he kept in his pocket.

When people can't figure our and/or accept the reality, they invent solutions that satisfy their own minds.

Nothing you say ("They don't pay me enough to also pay plants") or do will ever convince them of anything different.

Responding something like "I don't use plants. Come to another show and you'll see" won't change the mind of a person challenging you. However, IMO the goal should be to say that in order to assure others who might be listening of what you are doing.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
I think you just have to accept it as part of being a stage hypnotist. Some people can get very angry and loud when accusing you. I think it must even hurt some people to have their beliefs challenged in such a way.

I even use a line in my pre-talk. " some people ask if I use plants I answer no, however I am sometimes left on stage with a few vegatables and the odd cabbage".

Its funny how you can get two perceptions of a "good" show. One that says they haven't laughed so much at anything before and are amazed at how hypnosis works. The other saying it was rubbish "badly scripted" and obviously used plants.

On a personal level doing these shows especially the last one re awakened my amazement and appreciation for really talented volunteers and their reactions. I couldn't believe some of the reactions they were really funny. Its the volunteers that make the show we are just facilitators.
quicknotist
View Profile
Special user
888 Posts

Profile of quicknotist
"Yeah but you knew all those people on stage, didn't you?"
"Are you going to sh*g that girl after the show?"
They're in the same category as those who pay to watch a comedian twice on consecutive nights, then complain the material was the same. Idiots. Fortunately, they're in a minority. I just pay no attention to them.
It obviously never happens with corporate shows where they all know each other.
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4176 Posts

Profile of bobser
Quote:
On 2010-09-08 12:06, dmkraig wrote:
I would suggest that this really isn't a question of plants. Rather, it's a question of belief. .

Well said. I think you're on the money Craigie.
Anthony Jacquin
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2220 Posts

Profile of Anthony Jacquin
Plants? Never.
Chimps? Wherever I left them.
Anthony Jacquin

Reality is Plastic! The Art of Impromptu Hypnosis
Updated for 2016

Now on Kindle and Audible!
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4176 Posts

Profile of bobser
Yes, it is good manners to let people know you're in town and where you might be that night. And of course what you'll be doing.
That's not plants. But rather it is excellent planning.
You see what I just did there? Huh? Excellent! Mmmm?
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
My very first show I had a team of plants in place. Then I met a hypnotist (Adrian Knight) who told me to leave them at home. I spent an hour with him, and did the show without plants, and have not looked back since.
The only other time I considered using a plant was when a promoter cajoled me into doing an over eighteen show. The highlight was to be when one of the women on stage stripped off. He hired in a stripper for the night. Unfortunately she was Latvian, and didn't understand a word. But it was all right - only four people showed up and the show was cancelled.
Stooges were a feature of shows in the good old days of the sixties and seventies (and earlier) but why bother, when the same can be achieved without the hassle?
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9644 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I find this so strange, as I have never, even in the very beginning, ever even considered using plants or stooges. I never even had the thought as ou're not really doing hypnosis if you are replying on a plant. what's the point. You'd be better off doing pseudo hypnosis. I can't imagine this in my wildest dreams.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
I have never ever considered using plants either. The original post was a reaction to being accused of doing so...

You surprise me Tony... well not really LOL!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19821 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I gotta say I considered it. Do 6 nights a week in Branson. The show MUST go on! I have to say when crowds are sparce, sometimes under 20 in certain parts of the year you consider things like this. Ticket sellers don't want to hear that the show could not work.

So you have to fill 2 hours and you have less people in the audience than there are chairs on the stage. This is when I considered it. Then the concept of an "emergency show" came to me and I completely disregarded the idea of compatriots.

Understand that if people bought tickets to the show through a ticket seller and you did not do a show, or it really sucked, that ticket seller would no longer sell your tickets for you. FOR THE REST OF THE SEASON if not forever. Now you are talking about a very tough refund process. As I said the show MUST go on. So like I said I thought about it a bit. Very seriously.

In other circumstances, I never even had it enter my mind.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
How could it not suck with under 20 in the audience for two hours?
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19821 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
It may not end up with a huge show, but it is about providing the experience for those who ARE there. Keep in mind that 90% had NEVER seen a hyp show before that.

Like I said, you learn how to do it differently. It CAN be done and done well. It is all about adaptation.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Vlad Grigorescu
View Profile
New user
Romania, Bucharest
95 Posts

Profile of Vlad Grigorescu
I use plants!

Oh... you where talking about the show...
Then no, I don't. Smile
partner103
View Profile
New user
Toronto, Ontario
7 Posts

Profile of partner103
Quote:
On 2010-09-08 10:02, Shane Masters wrote:

How can you tell if they are faking it?
Just learning, any guidance will help.

-J
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
J, I believe they are all faking it, either consciously or subconsciously. But the obvious fakes will be easy to spot. Either they are trying too hard, or switching off and smirking when they think you are not looking. If someone opens their eyes, even briefly, during the induction, you need to watch them like a hawk.

Sometimes you dismiss them instantly. Other times you leave them there a few minutes, let the audience know you know, then dismiss them, after bringing attention to them in such a way as to ensure that no one else tries it on. Their dismissal serves as a warning to the others.

Although I have not used plants during a hypnosis show, I was involved in a propless psychic act recently, opening for a medium. I walked on and the first person who caught my eye, I said: Does the name Jamie mean anything to you?

He looked stunned, and told me that his Uncle Jamie had recently committed suicide. Everything I said for the next few minutes was a direct hit. I came off feeling like I had a genuine gift. I was beginning to believe my own publicity!

Imagine my disappointment afterwards when I learned that the medium I was opening for had two plants in the audience - and I had accidentally found one of them.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Plants do you use them? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL