The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Puzzle me this... » » Where's the pound? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Fon
View Profile
Regular user
London, UK
200 Posts

Profile of Fon
3 guys go to buy a tv that costs 30 pounds.

Each of them give the sales guy a ten pound note.

The sales guy scans the tv and the price comes up as only 25 pounds (the ticket price was wrong)

So, he puts the 30 pounds in the till, and takes 5 one pound coins out.

As he can't divide 5/3 he gives each of the three men a pound back and pockets two pounds for himself.

Now....

By giving each of the three men one pound back, they have in effect only paid nine pounds each for the tv.

3 X 9 =27

Plus the two pounds in the sales guys pocket = 27+2=29

Where's the other pound...?

An oldy but goldy...let's let people suffer with it for a bit Smile

Fon
Always thinking..........?
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1739 Posts

Profile of 0pus
I believe that Daryl developed a trick based on this question, that was published in Labyrinth.

0pus
wayman
View Profile
Special user
England - Sunderland
589 Posts

Profile of wayman
The guys actual paid £9.333 each

They each in effect gave the sales guy 0.666 pence each, which totals £2.00

I have cheated friend out of change using this method (tempory).
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1739 Posts

Profile of 0pus
I look at it a different (perhaps backwards) way.

The men actually DID pay £27: £25 for the TV and £2 to the dishonest sales guy.

0pus
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Why are you adding the two in the salesman's pocket? You'd only add it if it were going back into the cash register.

The men pay 30 pounds, 10 pounds each. When the mistake in price is discovered, 5 pounds is taken out of the register, with three going to the men, and the remaining 2 going to the salesmen.

In short, you're not doing 30 minus 3 plus 2, you're doing 30 minus 3 minus 2, which totals 25. That's the price of the TV, and there's no missing money.
Fon
View Profile
Regular user
London, UK
200 Posts

Profile of Fon
Quote:
In short, you're not doing 30 minus 3 plus 2, you're doing 30 minus 3 minus 2, which totals 25. That's the price of the TV, and there's no missing money.

Correct!

However, use my wording and watch peoples eyes gloss over as they stare into space trying to work it out! Smile

Fon
Always thinking..........?
Mandrake
View Profile
New user
Germany
66 Posts

Profile of Mandrake
GOOD ONE!

Some people Do know that one.
Basically quite a lot can tell that you recalculate in two different directions.
You either start from 25 and aad up or you deduct from 30 downwards. Starting from 27 - so in the middle of the sequence, is a very clever priciple.

I use this one myself, with different story lines, as an introductional piece right after my first effect.

I then challenge people to tell me where the missing piece of currency ended up.

This is a nice way to keep potential heckler's brains occupied throughout a show...LOL.

HOWEVER! To make it work, you have to be on top of playing with words... you patter has to have the potential of luring people to where you want them.

Perfect example of MISDIRECTING WITH WORDS.

As a matter of fact, I DO announce this as a piece of magic that uses NO PROPS!
Sometimes I also told people I was about to vanish a bit of money, but first, I want to tell them a little story...
You see where this leads to.

Have a nice day, Mandrake
the truth "lies" in the eye of the beholder
Nir Dahan
View Profile
Inner circle
Munich, Germany
1390 Posts

Profile of Nir Dahan
Daryl's effect can be found in one of his lectures videos by international magic.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Puzzle me this... » » Where's the pound? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL