The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Daryl's Jumping Knot - overkill? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7527 Posts

Profile of RNK
I think Daryl's Acrobatic Knot routine is very nice. I had the pleasure of seeing this performed live by Daryl at the Metro-magic convention this year- it was GREAT! Not to mention- I had a lay person with me and he was VERY impressed. So- I think the dissolving of the knot or untying of the knot is personal preference.
Hey Rainboguy- love your ending- knot pops out of mouth- I like it!

RNK
Check out Bafflingbob.com
Hawkan
View Profile
Elite user
Sweden
495 Posts

Profile of Hawkan
I LOVE the Jumping Knot and have used it for many years now. One presentation I use is that the ropes are a cheap sobriety or intelligence test (depending on type of audience). Every "effect" in the routine shows the level of alcohol in the blood - or how smart they are. At the end, if they see the knot being dissolved and stuck on the rope, that´s the sign they maybe need to call a cab to get home tonight / that they´re probably a little too intelligent for me.

HÃ¥kan
:wavey:
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
Thank you, RNK.

I don't do that version for Banquet shows though for obvious reasons....

When I do perform it, it gets a strong reaction!

One of the benefits of growing up in St. Louis was the great magic scene going on there in the 50's and 60's.......that St. Louis-Chicago corrdior at that time had some of the greatest magicians in the world performing.....I was very lucky!
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
Quote:
On 2010-12-18 17:09, Pete Biro wrote:
At Dean Dill's there is always a container of Red Licorice (AND M&ms, nuts, etc.) so one day I took a piece of the licorice and tied it into a knot and bit off the extra bits.

With this knot finger palmed, I grabbed one of his Red ropes from "Dean's Box" and tied a false knot in it, then pretended to slide it off the rope (dissolving it) AND TOSSED THE CANDY KNOT up, caught it and then put it into my mouth and ate it.

This post is one of the highlights of the entire thread. I use Daryl's gimmicked rope on occasion and it never fails to generate huge grins. This trumps any reservations I might have about undermining my convincers. I'd love to incorporate Pete's idea into the finale'. Great thoughts posted here people.

Great thread!
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
ropeadope
View Profile
Elite user
Mississippi
453 Posts

Profile of ropeadope
Perhaps the original poster would prefer Aldo`s "Knoty Knot" where the red knot is untied from the white rope and the red section is shown and can be examined as really part of the rope.

Have fun,
John
Nothing is better than more.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Quote:
On 2010-09-18 00:34, Futureal wrote:
I wonder if the original poster has ever seen the trick performed. Correctly.

- the whole point of it is that when the knot jumps from one rope to the other, people think it's a fake knot. So to prove it's not, the different-colored knot is untied, and it's part of the rope. That's the whole point of the trick.

That's almost exactly correct except the knot is not untied at the end. It disolves.
Payne, are you skipping the Bow Knot and just untying the darn thing?
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Quote:
On 2010-12-18 17:09, Pete Biro wrote:
At Dean Dill's there is always a container of Red Licorice (AND M&ms, nuts, etc.) so one day I took a piece of the licorice and tied it into a knot and bit off the extra bits.

With this knot finger palmed, I grabbed one of his Red ropes from "Dean's Box" and tied a false knot in it, then pretended to slide it off the rope (dissolving it) AND TOSSED THE CANDY KNOT up, caught it and then put it into my mouth and ate it.

That is BRILLIANT!
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1830 Posts

Profile of wally
Mmmmmmmmmm should I buy Daryls acrobatic knot or pavels ??
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Wally
I have done both tricks, and I highly recommend the Daryl's routine because the Pavel trick leaves the audience wanting more. Adding of the George Sands disolving knot was a stroke of genius, and simply makes the trick pop.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
jcrabtree2007
View Profile
Special user
627 Posts

Profile of jcrabtree2007
Yeah, I get a lot of "oooohhss and aaaaaahhss" when I dissolve the knot at the end. To each his own but I think the dissolving knot just adds a great kicker to an otherwise impossible routine.
inhumaninferno
View Profile
Elite user
452 Posts

Profile of inhumaninferno
I like performing Daryl's Amazing Acrobatic Knot...more importantly, my audiences Really enjoy it. So, taking that into consideration I would have to say the dissolve does not take away but adds another effect to top off the routine.
MRSharpe
View Profile
Special user
Never a dull moment with
940 Posts

Profile of MRSharpe
In reply to Starpower, the ropes can be made with spool knitting--AKA a Knitting Knobby--and I have made a complete set of variously colored ropes so that I can do the jumping not of Halloween, Christmas, or any other seasonal/holiday theme imaginable. However, it takes about 5 hours to make one rope, so I guess I have over 100 hours in the work it took to make my various ropes. In short, Daryl likely is not using a hand method to make these and probably doesn't make them himself anyway. There is a device called an automatic cording machine which counts stitches and applies even tension to the materials. This is probably what is being used to make his Jumping Knot sets for consistency.
As to not dissolving the knot at the end, if that works for you go for it.
Custom Props Designer and Fabricator as well as Performer from Indiana, USA
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On Mar 2, 2014, MRSharpe wrote:
In reply to Starpower, the ropes can be made with spool knitting--AKA a Knitting Knobby--and I have made a complete set of variously colored ropes so that I can do the jumping not of Halloween, Christmas, or any other seasonal/holiday theme imaginable. However, it takes about 5 hours to make one rope, so I guess I have over 100 hours in the work it took to make my various ropes. In short, Daryl likely is not using a hand method to make these and probably doesn't make them himself anyway. There is a device called an automatic cording machine which counts stitches and applies even tension to the materials. This is probably what is being used to make his Jumping Knot sets for consistency.
As to not dissolving the knot at the end, if that works for you go for it.

You need to get yourself one of these http://www.amazon.com/Caron-20293-Embell......knitters

You'll be able to make a set of ropes in minutes instead of hours.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
MRSharpe
View Profile
Special user
Never a dull moment with
940 Posts

Profile of MRSharpe
Payne, I actually got one of those, or a similar one by a different manufacturer. They do make the stitches, but I found that they won't knit crochet cotton. I've seen a lot of knock offs of Daryl's ropes and they all stretch. Crochet cotton has limited stretch and this particular machine won't knit crochet cotton. The automatic cording machine will, but the cheapest ones cost about $300 unfortunately.
Custom Props Designer and Fabricator as well as Performer from Indiana, USA
kekoa1
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Profile of kekoa1
I've been performing my rope routine utilizing moves from different sources...lasts about 4:45 in total. It has served me well over the years. I've just recently purchased Daryl's routine, just to have something "shorter" when I'm pressed for time. From my limited performance use of this particular routine...I've found that the spectators seem to enjoy the weird/impossible ending of having the knot dissolve before their eyes. I think that having such a weird ending makes it feel complete. But that's just me and the reactions from my spectators. To each their own. Visually, it's more of an eye candy moment. I think that's what Daryl's routine is in essence...a series of eye candy moments...leading to an impossible eye candy moment that makes you feel full after having gorged on all this eye candy. So...would it "knot" be as satisfying to the spectator...if you fed them all this eye candy...and then at the end...instead of giving them a satisfying eye candy ending...but rather...an alternate... "hey, let me untie the knot...to prove to you that it really is a knot"? Why put the spectators through that...when all they want is to be fed?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Daryl's Jumping Knot - overkill? (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL