The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Weight Lifting and Bodybuilding (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Joey Stalin
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1077 Posts

Profile of Joey Stalin
Maybe you can bench 600lbs like Tank one day, lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZsx-IQrkME
-A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.
-It is easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them.
-The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything.

See you space cowboy...
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6036 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
Reg Park was great - what can I say - watching this kind of movie is a throwback to my childhood. I also still like watching Jonny Quest and thunderbirds. However getting back the work out.

As I said I started to lift weights again - for because I had health problems. I started slow - because I was way - way out of shape. I have had some great pay offs over the last three years. The first pay off was mowing the lawn and moving my magic and sound equipment in and out got a lot easier.

The next pay off - was when my kids started to notice - one of my kids said I was starting to look like Batista.

The third pay off was two months ago. My wife told me that I looked as good as the time when we were dating. Back then I was in my early 30's and I was lifting just chest and arms. Now I am in much better shape because I train the whole body. Thinking about it - I look at working out as shaving 20 years off - 50 for me is the new 30.

To me it is not about how much I lift - but lifting consistent - with good form. In a way I think it is very much like magic. Building the foundation - being consistent and moving forward one step at a time.

Just a few thoughts and opinion.

Cheers!
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Producer of the DVD Punch Deal Pro

Publisher of Glenn Bishop's Ace Cutting And Block Transfer Triumphs
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6036 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
As one of my small goals - last week my goal was to put 170 on the bar and bench press it 7 times as part of my heavy set. I was able to do that - as a small goal my goal was last month to do the same thing at 160. Last month I topped my goal doing 160 for eight good reps.

Now I am 170 and looking forward to 180 then 190 and breaking that 200 pound set for eight reps - not bad for an old guy that three years ago I could not do 100 for ten reps - now that is a warm up set.

Cheers!
Glenn Bishop Cardician

TomasB
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden
1143 Posts

Profile of TomasB
Just back from the gym. I don't normally do bench press but has started trying it out recently. Only did three sets: 12 strict reps on 220, 3 on 243 and finally 10 on 220, with little rest in between sets too keep the heart beat up. I'd only dare to do more reps if someone would spot me. I've never maxed and I never will. Smile

/Tomas
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
I find workout partners distracting. I bench heavy but I set safety bars to catch the weight if I fail.
Hammer Strength equipment is also good for safety, but it doesn't work the smaller stabilizing muscles like free weights.
Stuart McRobert's book "Build Muscle, Lose Fat, Look Great" has a lot of very good information on preventing, rehabbing, and training around injuries. It probably puts more emphasis on safety than anything else I've read. I recommend it for anyone who is worried about injuries.
Now, I am training for strength athletics, so my program is obviously going to be quite a bit different than someone training just to stay in shape or look better (although those are positive side effects.)
There's not much reason to max out unless you are doing it for competitive reasons.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Speaking of Reg Park, anybody into chest expanders?
http://www.sandowplus.co.uk/Competition/......able.htm
Just goes to prove that everything old is new again Smile
~Will Rogers
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6036 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
Thanks for the link.

I had a chest expander - called a chest pull I think. It had three springs and I used it for a time when I was in Jr. High.

Neat link - thanks again.

Cheers.
Glenn Bishop Cardician

bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6036 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
Speaking of the old sword and sandal movies one of the first that I saw on TV was Fire Monsters Against the Son of Hercules (1962) Reg Lewis. It was a story about cave men - and to this day I still think that it has nothing to do with Hercules or a son of Hercules.

It is still one of my favorite movies of this kind.

My interest started back in grade school with the story of Troy. I remember watching Kirk Douglas as Ulysses - seeing it in school. It is still a neat film.

Cheers!
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Wesley James
View Profile
V.I.P.
Hazlet, New Jersey
372 Posts

Profile of Wesley James
MagicSanta,
I've been lifting for more than 45 years, so I've got a lot of experience advantage over most guys. I haven't check real lately but as of a couple of months ago, I could still Bench 325 for reps (5-8). At my best I could Bench 525 but only for one rep. I've dead lifted 375 for big reps (12-20) for years. I've never been a bodybuilder but weight lifting and power lifting have provided me with great resistence and cardio for many years.

Wesley James
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4755 Posts

Profile of landmark
I should not be in this thread.
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6036 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
Quote:
On 2010-09-22 17:43, Wesley James wrote:
MagicSanta,
I've been lifting for more than 45 years, so I've got a lot of experience advantage over most guys. I haven't check real lately but as of a couple of months ago, I could still Bench 325 for reps (5-8). At my best I could Bench 525 but only for one rep. I've dead lifted 375 for big reps (12-20) for years. I've never been a bodybuilder but weight lifting and power lifting have provided me with great resistence and cardio for many years.

Wesley James

That is very impressive Mr. James. I would like to improve my bench but at this time I am working on my core and my shoulders.

Cheers!
Glenn Bishop Cardician

critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
My shoulders look smaller than they are because my traps overpower them. Gives me a narrow appearance even though I am actually pretty wide.
Arnie had the same problem when he stood relaxed.
~Will Rogers
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6218 Posts

Profile of magicfish
When it comes to pure strength, I've heard a lot about Louis Cyr. I wonder how he would fair against the great Bill Kazmeier or Magnus ver Magnusson.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Cyr still has unbeaten records for overhead pressing.
~Will Rogers
NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1460 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
Quote:
On 2010-09-24 15:49, critter wrote:
Cyr still has unbeaten records for overhead pressing.

Probably bent pressing. I doubt that the turn of the century strong men could compete with the current strongmen in two handed pressing due to modern training methods and equipment.

Though it would be interesting to see some of our current champions attempt some of the feats that were popular back then.
NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1460 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
It occurred to me as I finished my last post that the total weight I lifted as a 148 pound Olympic lifter in the '70's would have won the world championship in 1940. It's amazing to me that there seems to be no cap on the amount that can be lifted as time goes on.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
I'm actually not entirely sold on a lot of the modern powerlifting federations because of the two ply suits and stuff. Those things add 200+ lbs to benches and squats. I mean, sure a 1000 lb bench is cool, but it's a bit distorted.
Maybe I'm just stubborn, but I like my lifting raw.
I really don't think modern training methods are any better than the old stuff either. Westside with the chains and stuff is designed to emphasize angles needed to make the most of the new suits. Chains and cables don't have as much of a benefit for raw lifts.
I read PLUSA and all of the up to date stuff, but I always find myself going back to old school because that's where I get results.
~Will Rogers
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6036 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
Right now I am doing concentration work on my shoulders and core. The reason I am doing concentration work on my shoulders because - wider stronger shoulders might make my core look thinner.

Today I concentrated on shoulders arms core.

Cheers!
Glenn Bishop Cardician

critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
That's what they say.
I always had a hard time with shoulders. I did tons of lateral raises and military presses, and all that junk. Didn't get much response until I incorperated the old fashioned side press. Maybe it has something to do with ROM and overload, but it worked for me.
Anyway, it's something you might look at to see if it interests you as a variety exercise.
~Will Rogers
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6036 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
I am also a fan of the older lifts and techniques.

What is the side press?

Thanks in advance.
Glenn Bishop Cardician

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Weight Lifting and Bodybuilding (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL