The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Reel Question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mmmario
View Profile
Regular user
perth/shanghai
131 Posts

Profile of mmmario
Hi all,
I am looking for a reel that can be controlled (stopped and slowed down during operation). I want to perform the Serpentine silk and am having no luck in sourcing this sort of reel.

Does anyone have a name of such a product for me? Please? I would be greatly grateful.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22056 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Welcome to the Café!

Here you go the best and the worst, and the book to tell you how to perform it. You will have to purchase your own 24" silk scarf.

http://www.stevensmagic.com/index.php?ma......d=111524

http://www.daytonamagic.com/products/REEL-%252d-BRASS.html

http://www.daytonamagic.com/products/REE......TIC.html

http://www.daytonamagic.com/products/REE......ICE.html
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
mmmario
View Profile
Regular user
perth/shanghai
131 Posts

Profile of mmmario
Wow! thank you, wmhegbli. So, quick to reply ... I guess that's why you're in the inner circle and I'm out here in the outer square.
I have checked out the links (love the sound of the Kirkendall reel) yet none actually say whether they can be controlled - slowed down, stopped and restarted as and when I want. I'll send emails to each but was wondering whether you knew offhand.

Thanks again
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
The common "bill snatcher" sold at joke shops (and sometimes in Dollar Stores) is actually a reel that starts and stops under pressure. Consider it and give it a try. It won't cost you much and you'll have something to work with while you are saving up for a fancy brass reel.

While I'm traveling down memory lane, I seem to recall performing the effect using a non controllable reel simply by using my fingers to stop and release the thread on its way to the reel. I also walked two miles through the snow to school and was the last person on my block to acquire a television set. In those days, magicians learned to improvise. My first thumb tip was made from a brown paper lunch bag.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22056 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
A finger reel usually has what is called a brake, this is the disc you press with your thumb.

The brass one from Daytona, does not have the built in disc brake, you control the line by using your thumb and fingers, squeezing the line. Some prefer this method over the disc brake. Although, you can use the pinch line method with either version.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
chmara
View Profile
Inner circle
Tucson, AZ
1896 Posts

Profile of chmara
My best manual reel ever was an El Duco finger break reel. About $75 or $80 -- but the breaqk could control speed easily.
Gregg (C. H. Mara) Chmara

Commercial Operations, LLC

Tucson, AZ

C. H. Mara Illusion & Psychic Entertainments
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Walmart has a very good, cheap reel. If you remove the belt clip and the put it back the clip becomes a brake. 4/$2.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
mmmario
View Profile
Regular user
perth/shanghai
131 Posts

Profile of mmmario
Thanks gentlemen. Much appreciated. BTW, I am impressed with using a brown paper lunch bag to make a thumb tip, Spellbinder. :O) That's fantastic. Improvisation rocks!

Thanks again all.
insight
View Profile
Inner circle
3095 Posts

Profile of insight
Anybody know anything about the PSI reel?

Regards,
Mike
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20494 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
I always associate Paul Diamond (Mr. Humble) with Silk Reel magic.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7353 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Kirkendall reels had brakes. The pros usually did not use them but used there finger tips.

I have repaired some of them and the Kirkendall is the best I have worked on.

Yes, Paul Diamond could demo the heck out a reel.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1845 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
Richard,

I agree, I have four different reels and the Kirkendall is the best. It is a great deal for the money. If you buy one from Stevens magic you get a great DVD that shows you a couple of routines and how to service your reel.

Richard, I need to email you about my Tannen's reel.

David
Jimmy Joza
View Profile
Special user
New York City
742 Posts

Profile of Jimmy Joza
Quote:
On 2010-09-12 19:02, magicians wrote:
Walmart has a very good, cheap reel. If you remove the belt clip and the put it back the clip becomes a brake. 4/$2.

Thanks for the suggestion. Will have to give them a try.
"Those who simply walk in others' tracks leave no footprints."
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1786 Posts

Profile of Anatole
My friend the late Bill Tadlock did a funny bit for magicians with a reel. He would do the serpent silk once, and then when he offered to repeat the effect (something you know that is against cardinal rule of magic #2), he would press a joy buzzer so that it sounded like the reel broke. It got a good laugh from magicians in the audience. Bill was a great stand-up magician and we attended some of the IBM conventions together along with other Virginia/North Carolina magicians. He was also a member of the P.E.A. Those were the good ol' days!

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Reel Question (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL