The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Days you want to kill your bird.... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2209 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
I just finished shooting footage of almost an hour of instruction video for a package I'm putting together on a DIY CTW wallet....

And on hitting editing I realize that my cockatiel, who I've learned to tune out, is WHEETing all over the footage.

I think I'll go over to the video section and see if any body has any ideas on saving the soundtrack that wont cost me more then this project is ever going to bring in...

But right now, I have the disturbing urge to wring the little fellows neck. So I'm gonna stay away from him right now.
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
Kyle^Ravin
View Profile
Inner circle
I slammed my head against
1070 Posts

Profile of Kyle^Ravin
How could you?? ahahaha. I feel you man. I've got a cockatiel as well and I've tuned out her whistling. Anyways, I think investing in a good lapel mic would help. If the sound is bi directionally captured, you might be able to key out the sounds.

Ultimately, Cover the cage or put your bird elsewhere!
1906Alpha1906
View Profile
Special user
North Cacky Lack
516 Posts

Profile of 1906Alpha1906
Its going to be nearly impossible to get the sound out unless you are on two separate tracks, meaning, as Kyle said, you have a mic, and the room tone is another mic. Then you can use your editing program to separate the voice (sound) tracks and delete the tweeting. If you are just recording from a standard Camera without additional mic set up, your cockatiel is now part of your video. You can "muzzle" the points of tweeting, but there again, unless you are on a separate track, you will muzzle yourself too.

I used to have two cockatiels that tweeted all the time, and like most, just tuned them out. Good luck!

-Alpha
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Thanks.

My older brother is actually into very sophisticated computer based sound shaping (even more then I realized) and thinks he may have some tools and techniques that might help. (He records wild sound at concerts and then cleans it up.)

And yes, next shoot he goes upstairs first Smile
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
You could always use the tape as is and give Tweeter co-star billing. Smile

I was talking to a client on the phone a week or so ago when my cockatoo started up three rooms away. The client goes silent for a second then asks, "Um...you got a pterodactyl living with you?"
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Hey skip,

If it was in the background, or wasn't so shrill, I'd just accept as "Hey this was filmed in a magic household so there are birds." But he is VERY talkative and at times its down-right unpleasant to listen to. I have hire standards for something I'm planning on charging $10 or so for.

So either my brother performs a miracle, or I do a redub.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
The only day I feel like killing all my animals is on February 30.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
What you might also be able to do is delete the sound or move it to mute, then make a sound track on the music track in the video editing process.

Just have to say the same thing at the same time, so the lip sink is not off a whole lot. I is like doing voice over work.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Trade your cockatiel for a Nanday. You'll stop griping about the cockatiel. Smile
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Yeah thanks Bill. Half my college degree was film production, so I know about foleying and that most movies don't use wild sound.

The part that aren't re-shootable easily are all of my hands doing construction anyway so lip-synch isn't really an issue, I just hate to lose the sort of spontaneous narration feeling it has because it actually works pretty well. And of course as is you can hear the sounds of construction (when the birds aren't chattering over them) which gives it a nice "workshop" sort of feel. I hate to lose that.

My brother who is a bit of a digital recording whiz (he cleans up wild sound from recorded folk concerts) is going to try to see if he can sweeten it enough to be usable. if not then I guess I'll have to over-dub.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Days you want to kill your bird.... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL