The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Performing Add-a-Number (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Dick Christian
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Virginia (Metro DC)
2620 Posts

Profile of Dick Christian
Glad some of you like the presentation I use.

For Iain: by first telling spectator 4 what is required (i.e., ability to add three 3 digit numbers correctly) and adding the suggestion "you might have your neighbor check your addition" (some have actually done so) I've yet to have anyone get the total wrong in probably 1,000 or more performances. However, one of the beauties of my presentation is that if the spectator makes a mistake, I am in a position to correct him/her without giving away the method, simply by having them -- or someone else -- recheck their math. (I would have thought that some readers might have figured that out.) Naturally you do NOT want to identify the three numbers or the other participants will realize that they are not the numbers they wrote.
Dick Christian
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18816 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Dick - I was just messing about with my post about blurting out the "that's wrong!" thing...
I've asked to be banned
mdspark
View Profile
Special user
782 Posts

Profile of mdspark
I basically use Max Mavens outline for the effect from Prism. Each of 2 or 3 persons gives a 2 digit number...I make the numbers relatively easy to add. I put conditions on their choice...

1st person: a number between 10 and 50

2nd person: a number between 50 and 100

3rd person: a two digit number, both digits the same.
Drewmcadam
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland
1234 Posts

Profile of Drewmcadam
Mr Mindbender said << The first moment of possible prevention is putting the adding in the hands of someone who seems and feels comfortable doing the math. >>

I did this recently with a company of top-grade accountancy experts... Guess what. The fun thing was, the boss told him to report to his office the following morning!
Mentalist Sam
View Profile
Regular user
173 Posts

Profile of Mentalist Sam
Quote:
On 2010-09-13 13:27, Caliban wrote:
Another point that hasn't been mentioned is to use numbers that are very easy to add up. If the digits in the column are 1+3+0 then they are less likely to get it wrong than they would be if the digits were 7+8+5.

This is similar to what Banachek recommends. Make it easy for them to add. Keep the numbers under 10 so that they don't have to carry the number over. If you have Banachek's DVDs, he goes into detail on this and has the workings of a great/simple add-a-no pad made from index cards and rubber bands.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Performing Add-a-Number (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL