The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Help (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Skitch
View Profile
Veteran user
Philadelphia
400 Posts

Profile of Skitch
I am looking to get a Mentalism book. I want to get a book that is going to teach me Mentalism and teach me tricks. Is there a good book out there? I don't know if any tricks would take sleight of hand? If so I can't do sleight of hand. But I am looking to buy a good Mentalism book and amaze people. Any good sites where to get if you guys or girls have any suggestions.
§kitch
Ben Blau
View Profile
Inner circle
1476 Posts

Profile of Ben Blau
Hello Skitch:

Not to get too personal, but I'd be interested to know why it is you can't do sleight of hand, e.g., if it's some physiological reason, or perhaps you meant that you can't do any sleight of hand RIGHT NOW. (?)

The thing is that any great mentalism takes practice, and you need to be willing to put in siginificant practice time to perform it well. You'll find that just to perform mentalism in a convincing, deceptive, and entertaining fashion is every bit as challenging as learning to do sleight of hand moves, if not more so.

So you see, even if you are given a recommendation for the world's best book on mentalism, and then learning the "best" trick therein, you will most likely find that despite this, you will not be percieved as amazing as you'd like.

With that said, most people start out in mentalism by reading "13 Steps to Mentalism" by Corinda, and various works by Annemann, such as "Practical Mental Magic." Perhaps more suggestions could be made if you were to elaborate on your goals, such as whether or not you wish to be a stage performer, a close-up entertainer, a "reader" or "medium" type, a two-person telepathy act, a spoon-bender, etc.

Good luck,
Ben
Sir T
View Profile
Special user
535 Posts

Profile of Sir T
I am sure there will be better and more experienced people than, I, who will respond. I am new to mentalism, so take what I say, for what it is worth.

I would say, get the following 3 books: Theodore Annemann's "PRACTICAL MENTAL MAGIC", Tony Corinda's "13 STEPS TO MENTALISM", and T.A. Waters' "MIND, MYTH, AND MAGICK.

As you asked for tricks per say, I listed Practical Mental Magic first, which you can pick up at any book store. The other two, is a life time of information, the 13 steps, is the Bible for everything you will read on the subject of mentalism.

Mind, Myth and Magick, is the New Testament of the Bible and requires you to have a working knowledge of mentalism and skills, i.e. have read the 13 steps (at the very least).

All Three books would set you back for just under a $100.00. I would really hold off on Mind, Myth and magick, until later.

Hope that helps.

Kevin Smile
Skitch
View Profile
Veteran user
Philadelphia
400 Posts

Profile of Skitch
Thank you both for answering. First, I can't do sleight of hand because I have JRA with my wrists. Anotherwards, I have arthritis. You really helped me and if you want to email me my email address is bdstflyers@aol.com
§kitch
fordkross
View Profile
Loyal user
209 Posts

Profile of fordkross
This may seem egotistical, but IMO, mentalism is MUCH more difficult to present than magic. Yes often it relies on subtlety and psychology rather than manual dexterity. But the misdirection must be stronger. The time to learn it longer.
I don't know how severly you are limited, for example I'm old, I have arthritis, that requires me sitting through my stage shows, rather than standing. I suggest, that if you want to learn mentalism, you take some speaking and acting courses. If you are just interested in doing non-sleight tricks. Thousands are available. Tenyo specializes in them
from
Ford
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Help (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL